The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Incidentally, I was thinking there about Houstie's tenure as he's been our most successful manager in the last 10 years or so and certainly gave us some very special times.

Point being that he won just 3 of his first 11 league games while Rennie's managed 4. Of course I realise that we were playing the likes of Sevco and Hibs at that time but there were also some big hitters like Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and Alloa in there too.

I can't remember if fans were calling for his head at that point and apparently I'm not allowed to go back to look so, can anybody remember what the feeling was at the time?

I'm just saying that, although we're all pissed off with the current situation, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Rennie could yet turn things around. Remember too that Houston had a much better squad and had the benefit of a pre-season with the team too.

Edit to add that I had a wee look at Totten, Jeffries, McCall and the great Willie Cunningham too (our 4 best managers in the last 55 years IMO). Totten won 2, Cunningham 2 and Jeffries 3 of their first 11 league games. Only McCall really got off to a flyer, winning 8.

I dare say that the likes of Pressley, Yogi or Billy Lamont may have better stats but I can't be arsed looking to see.

How many had the biggest budget in the 3rd tier? 

1 hour ago, Dabber said:

Blah blah blah... no wonder we are where we are with all you moaning fans...

All these players you's all want rid of would probably be glad to leave instead of getting abused every week

Is it any wonder we've gone through so many managers with all the poison that's written on this chat. Try & get behind the team for once...  so fed up of a the criticism,  have any of you lot even tried to kick a ball? Get a grip.

Thro thick & thin, good & bad. FFC.

Keyboard Baby GIF - Keyboard Baby Kid - Discover & Share GIFs

I'm still 50/50, ask me at 4:45 on a Saturday and it is nowhere near as even, however it is amazing how you change as you move towards a Saturday with hope.

I get the we can't keep someone on that's not winning with the budget we have, however I'm leaning more towards we cannot keep doing this same routine twice a year.

We have no leaders on the park and we have no midfield, so I would make a more confident decision on seeing him with those tools at his disposal, even if it takes another season of where we are.

NB: I could well change my mind on Saturday evening again.

45 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

How many had the biggest budget in the 3rd tier? 

As I said earlier, I'm not comparing Rennie with Houston, of course the situations are different. I'm just saying that Houston took a while to get things moving so maybe Rennie can do the same.

Since you've brought it up though, it may be the case that Falkirk have the biggest budget in the league, but Rennie hasn't been able to spend all of that. Mr Holt and Mr Sheerin had a lot of it spent long before he arrived. What I would say is that he has managed to bring in players who appear to be a bit better than those that have gone yet he hasn't been able to get them firing better as a team. That's a concern for me but hopefully he can prove that the concern is unfounded between now and season's end.

The final 8 games are likely to be full of all sorts of anomalies making it hard to objectively judge what you are watching.

For example, this Saturday has the potential to see us mathematically unable to win the league. Now, we have known for a good while that is the case, but to be mathematically out of the third tier title race mid March with seven games to go is just mental.

By the time we play Cove and Queens Park, it’s very likely their seasons will be done and dusted. Cove will be on the beach, QP might well be thinking of keeping players fresh for the play offs……we beat both and suddenly claim it’s all clicking into place. Not sure about that.

EF too might already be relegated. I am just very wary of the next 8 games being a true barometer of anything……..especially the final four games.

It might well be the case that the last time we beat another 100% full time team was when we beat Ross County on the day we were relegated from the Championship……..a Ross County team that had bodied us all season until that last game when Ross County were Champions, and already on the beach. Was that result finally a sign that we had improved to the point where we were a match for Ross County????………….was it hell.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The final 8 games are likely to be full of all sorts of anomalies making it hard to objectively judge what you are watching.

For example, this Saturday has the potential to see us mathematically unable to win the league. Now, we have known for a good while that is the case, but to be mathematically out of the third tier title race mid March with seven games to go is just mental.

By the time we play Cove and Queens Park, it’s very likely their seasons will be done and dusted. Cove will be on the beach, QP might well be thinking of keeping players fresh for the play offs……we beat both and suddenly claim it’s all clicking into place. Not sure about that.

EF too might already be relegated. I am just very wary of the next 8 games being a true barometer of anything……..especially the final four games.

It might well be the case that the last time we beat another 100% full time team was when we beat Ross County on the day we were relegated from the Championship……..a Ross County team that had bodied us all season until that last game when Ross County were Champions, and already on the beach. Was that result finally a sign that we had improved to the point where we were a match for Ross County????………….was it hell.

Good post, and god knows what the next eight games will bring.

However a good manager (backed by BOD) would take this opportunity to tell the players that after more dropped points the likelihood of the play offs are gone, and will have serious implications for the club.

Cut backs and the real threat of contracts being cancelled are now being discussed. 

After games I go off on a rant about the management team and by midweek I have calmed down a wee bit and see things more reasonably. I think apart from possibly ATS what Rennie has brought in during January does appear to be a better calibre from previous transfer windows and with that in mind I’m swayed to give him the summer if that’s what the board decide.

On the other hand as Bainsford Bairn posted recently we could still have 13 players in our squad from next season from the Holt/Sheerin debacle. Rennie and Miller have shown they can’t improve them so I’m not sure a summer window would matter if they don’t have the funds to punt a large number of these players.

I would be looking to offload McKay, Ompreon, Wilson, Miller, Dixon, Holt, Ross. I would also offload either Mutch or Martin and bring in a new No.1 with the remaining of that pair being back up keeper and I would only keep 2 of Telfer, Nisbett, McGuffie and Morrison as they are too alike for a squad our size. 

Thats the perfect scenario and in an ideal world the new players coming in would be a better quality and have more fight and a stronger spine about them. I would not be against a hybrid model being used to achieve this. We all however know that things never materialise like that for us.

Guest TedCrilly

Would Rennie be better suited as a DoF type figure? His recruitment and knowledge of building an infrastructure seems pretty impressive.

As a coach/manager, he’s currently not getting the best out of this squad so far with his in game management also very questionable. He should be given to the end of the season to see if he can finish in the playoff spots to properly assess his performance. I’d assume the interview process made it clear that with the January funding securing a playoff spot was the minimum requirement.

52 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

Would Rennie be better suited as a DoF type figure? His recruitment and knowledge of building an infrastructure seems pretty impressive.

As a coach/manager, he’s currently not getting the best out of this squad so far with his in game management also very questionable. He should be given to the end of the season to see if he can finish in the playoff spots to properly assess his performance. I’d assume the interview process made it clear that with the January funding securing a playoff spot was the minimum requirement.

No, a club like Falkirk doesn’t need a DOF, maybe if your Liverpool or Man City.
We’re languishing in the third tier of Scottish football and a half decent manager should be able to identify and bring in players. Negotiations over contract/salary should be the BOD decision.

Guest TedCrilly
1 minute ago, Springfield said:

No, a club like Falkirk doesn’t need a DOF, maybe if your Liverpool or Man City.
We’re languishing in the third tier of Scottish football and a half decent manager should be able to identify and bring in players. Negotiations over contract/salary should be the BOD decision.

It’s a tough call. Who on the current BoD have experience in running a successful football club? Is having someone above the manager purely for football matters not advantageous? I don’t think the previous board were miles away regarding the structure of the club, sadly the important roles were filled with muppets like Holt and Deans. Obviously if you can land an experienced manager who can do it all you’ve cracked it. 

There's nothing wrong in principle with a club our size having a DoF.

Holt was a dreadful DoF, that doesn't mean that the position isn't always needed.

32 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

It’s a tough call. Who on the current BoD have experience in running a successful football club? Is having someone above the manager purely for football matters not advantageous? I don’t think the previous board were miles away regarding the structure of the club, sadly the important roles were filled with muppets like Holt and Deans. Obviously if you can land an experienced manager who can do it all you’ve cracked it. 

I see where your coming from but still feel that a decent manager is sufficient, if the board ( with varying talent skills ) can’t be trusted they should be anywhere near the club. Good directors should be competent to deal with players agents, gee whiz it’s football players were employing not a replacement neurologist.

Guest Caractacus Potts

If we need advice for football matters then why not involve guys like Sammy and Alex Totten, assuming they’d be willing to help.

I don’t see the need for a club in our position at the moment to have a permanent person in that role, not on a salary anyway. 

39 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Very much off topic - was looking at the current SPFL grounds, and was trying to think of what ones we have yet to play at. Can’t recall us ever playing at Borough Briggs (Elgin) or New Central Park (Kelty) - could be wrong though. Any others? Annan perhaps?

Played at Annan in the Semi- final of the Ramsden`s Cup in 2011-12.

FAlagui scoresvAnnan.jpg

1 hour ago, _FFC1876 said:

Very much off topic - was looking at the current SPFL grounds, and was trying to think of what ones we have yet to play at. Can’t recall us ever playing at Borough Briggs (Elgin) or New Central Park (Kelty) - could be wrong though. Any others? Annan perhaps?

As the Ancient One correctly advised, we've played at Annan once in that cup semi final. 

I've been to Elgin twice for presason games. Once in 1984, when as a drunken teenager I went up in the train, got pished and slept in some random's back garden. I was also there in 1996 as part of a camping / hillwalking holiday. We won both games. 

The first team have never played at Kelty Hearts but the Under 19s played a match there one season when Dunfermline were using it for youth games. You can clearly see the Kelty logos on the stand behind Scott Shepherd. 

Scott Shepherd (5).jpg