The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

How many times have we heard that a player from a higher level will come in and stroll league 1 though?

I’m struggling to think of any who actually have.

It is Scott Brown we are talking about here not Blair Alston

2 hours ago, JB22 said:

With talk of Scott Brown terminating his contract at Aberdeen, is it absolutely crazy to suggest that Leigh Griffiths could have a wee whisper in Rennie's ear? He is exactly what we need right now.

Aberdeen took our Assistant Manager too, so Brown is surplus to managerial requirements up there and while Goodwin has been diplomatic about there still being a pace for Brown on the playing side the I reckon he'll be glad to see Brown go.

The questions is would you want to appoint Brown as his only managerial experience is being No.2 in a partnership that lasted less than a season?

Still no doubt his friends in the media will say you are being blessed with the opportunity to bask in his warm glow, IIRC Steven Naismith is at a similar loose end....

3 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

Shay Logan? Iain Vigurs? Michael Gardyne? Mark Reynolds? Basically any older pro that we don’t touch. Scott Brown is a model pro on and off the field, there’s a higher chance of him having the right attitude to be a success in the lower leagues.

I was more thinking about players who’ve signed for us- Alston, Sammon, McShane, Tidser, McKay, Durnan, Mcmillan, Mcdaid to name a few.

All sold as players who could be stand outs at this level and all were poor.

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I was more thinking about players who’ve signed for us- Alston, Sammon, McShane, Tidser, McKay, Durnan, Mcmillan, Mcdaid to name a few.

I know what you mean but not one of those players at the highest point in their careers would be as good as Brown at his worst, moot point though if he can't (and absolutely wouldn't) sign

Edited by ilostmyself

12 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Agree, there’s no doubt that a few are decent players, the issue we have that the minute they sign with us they generally turn out to be utter shite.

It is totally pointless to discuss since the rules prohibit it, and there's no way he would drop to League 1.

But Morgaro Gomis was done 3 years ago, and still got the better of our midfield on Saturday. Anyone who thinks Scott Brown wouldn't improve our midfield exponentially, and effortlessly body the various jobbers in this league, has been licking exotic toads.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Then argue about  the team with me instead of resorting to childish stuff like looking back 5 years and trawling through posts. I get enough greenies on my posts to let me know I'm not the only one with my opinion. But this obsession with what I said 5 years and complete nonsense that I just made a thing up for a laugh is ludicrous.  It's getting more and more like the coyb page on here with people getting more and more interested in attacking folk personally than just debating football.  I think I'll take a break for now as I can't really be arsed with stuff like that. We all have opinions that differ and that's why I come on sites like this to discuss and debate with people with alternative views . I'll always stand my ground but that doesn't mean I don't accept the right of everyone else to have different views. I certainly don't go about making things up just for kicks.

Fuxake, is a man not allowed a hobby? :P

OK, sorry. x

58 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

How many times have we heard that a player from a higher level will come in and stroll league 1 though?

I’m struggling to think of any who actually have.

This season? Reynolds, Vigurs, Logan, Fyvie, Gardyne, plus loads of loans.

Edited to apologise profusely for not noticing that these very same names had already been mentioned.

Edited by ShaggerG

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

In recent seasons there have been four people in Scottish football that I really don't like (all from the OF funnily enough), Alan McGregor, Morelos, Neil Lennon and Scott Brown. Would I want Brown playing for Falkirk? Absofuckinlutely!!

The club a Falkirk player was signed for in the past should not matter a jot.

Alex Ferguson is an example the bugger upset every opposition player and fan of the team he played against.  Became a  crucial  member of one of the all time great Falkirk teams.

3 hours ago, sick boy said:

Not advocating or even expecting his signing but thats a load of pish quite frankly, Scott Brown would struggle in league one ? 

You seen the diddies in this league?

He is done. His last two years at Celtic were pretty bad. Sentiment kept much of the support onside, but they all could see he was done. His Aberdeen spell has been no better. When the legs have gone at 34, they ain’t coming back at 37.  Someone said he is a “model pro”. Nah. Kenny Miller was a model pro.

Brown didn’t get in the red tops for the wrong reasons, but that certainly does not make him a model pro.

Anyhoo, not happening for us or anyone else.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

This season? Reynolds, Vigurs, Logan, Fyvie, Gardyne, plus loads of loans.

Edited to apologise profusely for not noticing that these very same names had already been mentioned.

Trouble is, none of them are kicking 37. Fyvie is 28. I agree a 28 year old (or even a 33 year old) Scott Brown could stroll it, but not the 37 year old one.

For almost every single player, the difference from 33 to 37 is absolutely huge. Here are of course, the exceptions in Ronaldo, or Miller, or Sheringham…….Scott Brown is not one of them. Not even close. If he gets his Aberdeen contract torn up, he isn’t going to play again.

Incidentally, I was thinking there about Houstie's tenure as he's been our most successful manager in the last 10 years or so and certainly gave us some very special times.

Point being that he won just 3 of his first 11 league games while Rennie's managed 4. Of course I realise that we were playing the likes of Sevco and Hibs at that time but there were also some big hitters like Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and Alloa in there too.

I can't remember if fans were calling for his head at that point and apparently I'm not allowed to go back to look so, can anybody remember what the feeling was at the time?

I'm just saying that, although we're all pissed off with the current situation, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Rennie could yet turn things around. Remember too that Houston had a much better squad and had the benefit of a pre-season with the team too.

Edit to add that I had a wee look at Totten, Jeffries, McCall and the great Willie Cunningham too (our 4 best managers in the last 55 years IMO). Totten won 2, Cunningham 2 and Jeffries 3 of their first 11 league games. Only McCall really got off to a flyer, winning 8.

I dare say that the likes of Pressley, Yogi or Billy Lamont may have better stats but I can't be arsed looking to see.

Edited by ShaggerG

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Incidentally, I was thinking there about Houstie's tenure as he's been our most successful manager in the last 10 years or so and certainly gave us some very special times.

Point being that he won just 3 of his first 11 league games while Rennie's managed 4. Of course I realise that we were playing the likes of Sevco and Hibs at that time but there were also some big hitters like Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and Alloa in there too.

I can't remember if fans were calling for his head at that point and apparently I'm not allowed to go back to look so, can anybody remember what the feeling was at the time?

I'm just saying that, although we're all pissed off with the current situation, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Rennie could yet turn things around. Remember too that Houston had a much better squad and had the benefit of a pre-season with the team too.

I remember us being 2 goals down to Hearts at the start of November that season live on Alba and in the 1st half we did not touch the ball in the Hearts box. I was admittedly was convinced he had to go at that point. 

Fast forward 8 years and the same thing is happening. This time its just against Cove. 

Sad times.

34 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I remember us being 2 goals down to Hearts at the start of November that season live on Alba and in the 1st half we did not touch the ball in the Hearts box. I was admittedly was convinced he had to go at that point. 

Fast forward 8 years and the same thing is happening. This time its just against Cove. 

Sad times.

Aye, sad indeed.

If we'd punted Houstie at that point though we'd have missed what came later, same with the others that I mentioned.

I'm not saying that Rennie's going to manage to turn us around but I think it may be a matter of 'careful what you wish for' and I think he'll get the rest of the season now anyway. It may just be a case of him being quite eloquent when speaking but, to me, he seems to now what he's talking about, he's not floundering (yet) like Sheerin and M&M were.