The Falkirk FC Thread

The fact that David Clarkson would appear to be the only option so far that Houston has had in mind to replace Loy accept the waste of taking Heffernan on trial is what really worries me. It's hardly an inspiring signing to start with and we surely need more than one more striker to really give the playoffs a go this season. I can't believe that Houstons been given a smaller budget than last year but I'd expect Rogers to be on a whole lot less than McDonald and McHugh probably aint on more than Loy. I also doubt that Watson will be on a huge wage. If you add to that to the frees then we should surely have enough in the bank for two or three more signings at least. Over to you Houston and for gods sake get your finger out.

Clarkson and Brian Graham were the 2 who have been made public but there's others that haven't been. Inspiring or not, both of them would have done a job for us in this division. But they've stayed in the top league on more money. I'm not Houston's biggest fan but I can't believe the amount of negativity coming towards him for a lack of signings when last year was an example of us shooting our load too early and ending up with players we perhaps wish we could move on.

If we had the appropriate funds we would have got Clarkson for example. If you're not going to acknowledge my posts which you've failed to do on a regular basis, at least take the hint from BPM who although may be a 'pantshitter' knows a lot about the way the club is run.

Not sure I do any more TBH. Frankly given up on the "old boy" network who run the club to suit themselves.

I support the team and what is happening off the pitch is merely to support what happens there. If the team is poor they then need to get involved to sort it. Either give the manager the cash or fire him and get someone in who can make more of the slim pickings on offer. Frankly don't think they care enough to push the club forward. Brings too many challenges that and they like things nice and easy.

We had agreed wages with Clarkson, he was then offered higher wages and also a chance to play at a higher level.

Simple equation means he joined Motherwell.

What does that mean? It doesn't mean we were offering a great package. Clarkson was clearly looking about knowing he had his fall back position at Falkirk.

The fact that David Clarkson would appear to be the only option so far that Houston has had in mind to replace Loy accept the waste of taking Heffernan on trial is what really worries me. It's hardly an inspiring signing to start with and we surely need more than one more striker to really give the playoffs a go this season. I can't believe that Houstons been given a smaller budget than last year but I'd expect Rogers to be on a whole lot less than McDonald and McHugh probably aint on more than Loy. I also doubt that Watson will be on a huge wage. If you add to that to the frees then we should surely have enough in the bank for two or three more signings at least. Over to you Houston and for gods sake get your finger out.

James Keetings was his first option and Hibs got him.

What does that mean? It doesn't mean we were offering a great package. Clarkson was clearly looking about knowing he had his fall back position at Falkirk.

Either way I am glad we never got Clarkson.

I believe in Houston and think we will be fine this season and make the play offs.

Houston i dont think has brought in better players than he said he was trying to so far, perhaps on par but no better imo. With probably only one striker and a keeper to come in its difficult to see how we are going to be a whole lot better than last season. That said if we do marginally better and get fourth i suppose thats our remit.

It strikes me that you're under the impression that there's a multitude of good experienced strikers out there that are just dying to play for us. Unfortunately that's just not the case.

Guys like Clarkson and Graham are probably the best we can hope for given our budget and I'd be happy if Houston managed to bring someone of that status in. It's entirely likely though that we'll shop in a market slightly below this level as we can't compete with clubs in higher leagues that can offer more money. We've been extremely fortunate in recent seasons in 'discovering' Farid, Taylor & Loy and even Stewart before that. So unless we land lucky again with a player who's just waiting to explode onto the scene or we get a highly rated young loanee from England we're just going to have to go with what we get.

Doesn't sign anyone that'll improve the squad. Gets pelters

Brings in players that don't make the cut, gets pelters

I'm gonna wait till the window closes then we'll see where we are.

Definitely not ready at this moment in time. Need a striker and a technical winger that can break open defences IMO

I think the squad is slightly stronger than it was last season, minus a replacement for Loy.

MacDonald was fairly average and at times - pish. Rogers by all accounts had a great spell at Dumbarton last year and should be an upgrade if he continues that form with us. Muirhead getting the nod over Duffie at RB would definitely be an upgrade and Watson should be an improvement on McCracken.

Not much has changed in the middle of the park & I'd say we're quite strong there anyway. Out wide is slightly concerning still as Smith & Cooper were both average at best last season. Smith seems to have had a good pre-season though so there might be a big improvement on his part. Thomas Grant being fit is another option out wide, so he'll hopefully kick on and look to get a regular start. I actually thought Cooper done better than Smith last year (although that isn't saying much), but I get the feeling he's less capable of improvement than Smith & not good enough to start games, he might make a decent impact player though. Ideally though there will be another wide player to come in in the event Smith & Cooper are still shite & Grant doesn't quite do enough.

McHugh & Baird are capable of reaching low double figures this season, which is a decent starting point. If we can get one more striker in who can match that or better it, then we'll be in a good position to push for 3rd & 4th. Not asking for another Farid or Taylor, but hopefully someone who just has that extra bit of quality that Baird & McHugh might be missing.

Houstie isn't siting around with his finger up his arse. You're mad if you think this is the case.

From what I've been told we offered contracts to 3nr forwards, all of which would have been marquee signings but for whatever reason went elsewhere. (no "source" comments please)

He can't force people to sign, we just have to trust him and see what the next few weeks bring.

Bring on the new season. COYB

It strikes me that you're under the impression that there's a multitude of good experienced strikers out there that are just dying to play for us. Unfortunately that's just not the case.

Guys like Clarkson and Graham are probably the best we can hope for given our budget and I'd be happy if Houston managed to bring someone of that status in. It's entirely likely though that we'll shop in a market slightly below this level as we can't compete with clubs in higher leagues that can offer more money. We've been extremely fortunate in recent seasons in 'discovering' Farid, Taylor & Loy and even Stewart before that. So unless we land lucky again with a player who's just waiting to explode onto the scene or we get a highly rated young loanee from England we're just going to have to go with what we get.

Luck or good scouting and contacts?? Strikers don't have to be in their thirties to add what we need. Neither Loy, Farid or Taylor were of that age. Keatings, Clarkson, Heffernan are all names that we've all heard of so lets face it you wouldn't have to be manager of the season to uncover them. We need a manager that has the right contacts and scouting ability to uncover the hidden gems that are out there like Loy, Farid and Taylor. I'm pretty sceptical though that Houston has the ability (Boulding and Taylor for instance) to spot a decent striker and don't really know whether he's willing to put the effort in to scout down south for other options. I don't really see why he spent so long looking at Heffernan who was obviously done and having played in our league and failed miserably for Hibs last year we should've known all about.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Either way I am glad we never got Clarkson.

I believe in Houston and think we will be fine this season and make the play offs.

I am a supporter of him too. Would just like to see him get the cash to get a couple in of a better quality. I fear he will have people on his case pretty early if results and performances are not good.

Luck or good scouting and contacts?? Strikers don't have to be in their thirties to add what we need. Neither Loy, Farid or Taylor were of that age. Keatings, Clarkson, Heffernan are all names that we've all heard of so lets face it you wouldn't have to be manager of the season to uncover them. We need a manager that has the right contacts and scouting ability to uncover the hidden gems that are out there like Loy, Farid and Taylor. I'm pretty sceptical though that Houston has the ability (Boulding and Taylor for instance) to spot a decent striker and don't really know whether he's willing to put the effort in to scout down south for other options. I don't really see why he spent so long looking at Heffernan who was obviously done and having played in our league and failed miserably for Hibs last year we should've known all about.

Take a day off.

Very much how I see it, years gone by we may have enticed a player to come to us rather than an SPL team but nowadays they get more money, longer contracts. Houstie may have pushed a lot of his eggs in for Graham but I am sure there was/is far more targets than the publicly known McHugh and Hefferman and failed wage offers like Clarkson that we dont know about.

We do need something to perhaps excite the fans, improve us more importantly and if it takes up until the final hour of the transfer deadline so be it, Id rather have that than sign players to sit on the bench

I fear he will have people on his case pretty early if results and performances are not good.

Plenty already on his case on Saturday. Someone behind me called Will Vaulks a "waste of space". Granted, he didn't have the best game but have a word.

I can't see or feel the optimism many are seeing. Love him or loath him, he has firmly tied his colours to the mast this year.

I am not privvy to player budgets but would have thought we would have had enough to compete better given recent player sales, Scottish Cup final and higher earners departing

Granted, Houston has only had one season under his belt with us in this league, but the similarities between last season and what we are seeing just now are unbelievable. I don't feel we as a club have learned much from the poor showing of last season's league performance, I see nothing so far that has me feeling we'll be better than 5th again. Unless Mr H has some tactical masterstroke up his sleeve I think this will be a long difficult season.

As a club we need to make a good start in the league and maybe get some fans back on board, it's no use waiting to the January window to try to salvage some respect...I would be delighted if the club were showing some ambition to make progress and showing some intent to force improvements.

I think this year's championship will be tougher than last. Morton, Dumbarton, St Mirren, Alloa, Raith all have new managers in place with different ideas and philosophies. Rangers look to be stronger, Hibs and Livvy who knows...I am still unconvinced we are stronger than last year, time will tell I suppose.

I am a supporter of him too. Would just like to see him get the cash to get a couple in of a better quality. I fear he will have people on his case pretty early if results and performances are not good.

I don't think many on here really dislike him, we all want to see him do well. He just seems to make poor decisions and takes too long to react.

One thing that had struck me us there aren't too many clubs sniffing about him queuing up for his services. Except the BBC lol, maybe that is telling us something!

We should just start buying English premier league players and spend well above our means and win the championship then SPL. f**k the money mate that's not our problem

Livi forum for this pish....