The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Our centre backs are not good enough to be pelting this 3 at the back playing the ball out from the back system that Rennie wants us to play.

This is an even bigger issue than our midfield imo.

The playing style more of an issue than the formation maybe. Certainly playing out from the back is a problem. The sheer lack of an effective press at the other end is as big a problem.

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

They are, they can’t defend 

We'll have to agree to disagree. Theres just no way for me that Williamson and McCann are unable to function in a back 4. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The playing style more of an issue than the formation maybe. Certainly playing out from the back is a problem. The sheer lack of an effective press at the other end is as big a problem.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Theres just no way for me that Williamson and McCann are unable to function in a back 4. 

Looks like that has to be the case. However it is widely talked about how poor Williamson is defensively 

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

People not recognising we don’t have the fullbacks who can’t defend to play only 2 CH’s 😂🤷‍♂️

Seriously that’s your excuse for Rennie not shifting away from what he’s trying and spectacularly failing to implement? 

I wonder what your view on it would have been if it was Deans that appointed Rennie? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No one seems to mention that a chunk of the players maybe not good enough 

That’s probably my biggest concern. A blind man can see the players aren’t good enough yet he wants us to build from the back etc. How many times do we need to lose the ball in our own half before the manager recognises the players aren’t good enough to play that way?

Looks like that has to be the case. However it is widely talked about how poor Williamson is defensively 

I know that, and i'm not really defending him per se. What i'm saying is that I don't agree that Williamson plus your choice of McCann, ATS or Dixon at LB is a valid reason why we can't play 4 at the back. They are not great by any means, but they are not THAT bad. Think about the teams all throughout football that play four at the back, at all levels, whose fullbacks will be relatively much poorer than their opponents attacks.... We are facing League 1 attacks here. I'm just not swallowing it in any way. 

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Seriously that’s your excuse for Rennie not shifting away from what he’s trying and spectacularly failing to implement? 

I wonder what your view on it would have been if it was Deans that appointed Rennie? 🤔

Deans appointed Holt and Sheerin that is why we have so many poor players. 
Has Rennie got this right, no but he was starting at such a low it was always going to take time. 
I said from day one this was going to take time and nothing that has happened has surprised me. It is going to take time however I understand the frustration, I am as frustrated as anyone. 

So we punt it long who in that midfield is going to win a 2nd ball? 

All depends on how good the first ball is doesn’t it? I’d be looking to hit Dowds every time and look for him to flick or hold the ball. I’m not disagreeing that our midfield is lightweight and completely agree with Bairnardo about our non existent press that’s something that I was going mental about up at Cove last week. But it’s so obvious to anyone who’s see us that our defenders simply can’t pass the ball effectively or progressively. If a team looks to press us we still keep playing short, crumble then give away possession in our final third.

2 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

That’s probably my biggest concern. A blind man can see the players aren’t good enough yet he wants us to build from the back etc. How many times do we need to lose the ball in our own half before the manager recognises the players aren’t good enough to play that way?

I think we have to mix it up more but launching it to Dowds with no one able to pick us 2nd balls isn’t the answer either. 

1 minute ago, Russ said:

All depends on how good the first ball is doesn’t it? I’d be looking to hit Dowds every time and look for him to flick or hold the ball. I’m not disagreeing that our midfield is lightweight and completely agree with Bairnardo about our non existent press that’s something that I was going mental about up at Cove last week. But it’s so obvious to anyone who’s see us that our defenders simply can’t pass the ball effectively or progressively. If a team looks to press us we still keep playing short, crumble then give away possession in our final third.

I said this during the last game I was at, against QP.

Houston used to to use Lee Miller to play for territory. It was really fucking ugly, but it worked. He also used to have Miller come deep, pass it into his feet after regaining possession, and get the fullbacks and midfielders breaking forward. Miller would find one with an easy pass and we were on our way up the park. I can recall at least two or three times we did this effectively against QP before Dowds was taken off. Someone like him can be really effective as a launchpad for a counter and agianst QP is was identical to what Miller used to do, and with Kabias pace, you are looking at two passes from Dowds taking it in to a potential situation where Kabia can be breaking into the box. Id much rather see us use the big guy effectively than have to get lucky just to bypass a simple press and get the ball tot he middle third. 

24 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If he does that I think he would need to play a CD as a full back. We may get away with ATS at LB but who would we play at RB? Would need to be Miller or one of Mills or McKay. We already know that Miller's not up to that anymore, Mills or McKay at RB? We would need to hope that Mills could play there I think!

Some folk have said that we should go with Williamson and McCann as FBs. Could work, may even be worth a try and I actually think McCann's a better defender than some think; Williamson on the other hand...

After the past few seasons I would love to see just go back to basics 442.  Use the wings to get plenty of balls in the box for 2 strikers to attack. Full backs could still get forward at times with wide midfielders covering. Not complicated but i would keep things as simple as possible for players at the level we are at. 

Guest Ecosse83
8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Deans appointed Holt and Sheerin that is why we have so many poor players. 
Has Rennie got this right, no but he was starting at such a low it was always going to take time. 
I said from day one this was going to take time and nothing that has happened has surprised me. It is going to take time however I understand the frustration, I am as frustrated as anyone. 

Fair enough. I’d just like him to try something different. Bringing on centre half for centre half on the 85th minute on Tuesday was unbelievable. Some flexibility would be a good thing! 

7 minutes ago, Ross B said:

After the past few seasons I would love to see just go back to basics 442.  Use the wings to get plenty of balls in the box for 2 strikers to attack. Full backs could still get forward at times with wide midfielders covering. Not complicated but i would keep things as simple as possible for players at the level we are at. 

Who will provide the width if Morrison is injured in that formation ? 

Who will provide the width if Morrison is injured in that formation ? 

If Morrison still not available then potentially kabia, if fit,  or even try the ompreon, he had a good 45 minutes out wide at some point. 

44 minutes ago, Russ said:

I dislike long-ball football but I'd definitely prefer trying to hit Dowds with it rather than this playing out pish. He's a better player now and I think he'd be capable of holding it up and bringing others in. Not ideal, but needs must.

Of course it's not easy getting players but if you want success you have to do it otherwise we'd be as well packing in now. Yogi managed to get Kasper bloody schmeichel to play for us and Chris waddle played for us in the bloody championship when we were pretty stinking. Good managers are able to persuade players that falkirks where they want to play. Other managers have managed it at a lot shittier clubs than ours. 

At the end of the day whatever formation we're playing we're just as dire as we were when Rennie took over despite bringing in 6 players.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I dislike long-ball football but I'd definitely prefer trying to hit Dowds with it rather than this playing out pish. He's a better player now and I think he'd be capable of holding it up and bringing others in. Not ideal, but needs must.

Doesn't need to be shelled the length of the park though, like I said I felt had he success dropping into our half and holding it until runners could get beyond him. Hard shift for him but. 

ETA Kabias pace and Griffiths stood on the last man to give Dowds a fighting chance also

Edited by Bairnardo