The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly if you spend that kind of money on a player it has to pay off and needs to result in a playoff place. Would be ludicrous to have signed  the highest paid player in the league and come mid table 

Wonder what it does for morale when a guy like Griffiths comes in  on big wages, who would be the next best paid player at Falkirk. Think he will get some goals for you just need to see if its enough to get you out of this league, otherwise it will be an expensive mistake.

14 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Wonder what it does for morale when a guy like Griffiths comes in  on big wages, who would be the next best paid player at Falkirk. Think he will get some goals for you just need to see if its enough to get you out of this league, otherwise it will be an expensive mistake.

Worse if you sign a striker on that money but don't have the players or formation to create any chances for him.  Like putting the cherry on top before the bloody cakes right.

25 minutes ago, peternapper said:

I did wonder if there was some dressing room unrest due to Griffiths earning more etc as, apparently (wasn't there), the team looked to have downed tools a bit at Cove. That wasn't the case on Tuesday though. Pish, but no lack of effort.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I did wonder if there was some dressing room unrest due to Griffiths earning more etc as, apparently (wasn't there), the team looked to have downed tools a bit at Cove. That wasn't the case on Tuesday though. Pish, but no lack of effort.

Na didn't look like they had downed tools, started ok until the first goal went in. Butt It's the usual fear that sets in as soon as we go behind that the players have the realisation the system won't be changed and we will drop points again. 

1 minute ago, champions said:

Apparently Griffiths is a lazy sod at training, this came from a friend of one of the players.

Quite concerning if true

He's been training full time and playing for the best part of a year and is still about 3 stone overweight.

There's no 'if true' about it.

Signing Lee Griffiths was always questionable at best, but as has been pointed out finding the lynch pin in midfield is probably harder than it seems. I'm not sure even signing midfield upgrades on loan (e.g. Finlay Pollock) would actually help just now since without that enforcer they may be swamped.

Watson and Griffiths go right back to the Hutchie days so Watson will know Griffiths well and maybe know how to get him onside. From what I've heard Griffiths has always been a bit mental right back to youth days.

Who honestly cares if LG is lazy in training… we knew what we were getting. The hope we had was that we could create enough chances for him and he would score. 

It could be Harry Kane up top and the issues would still be there. We don’t create chances, we can’t defend, we are absolutely brutal and Rennie is a clown.

I seem to remember very recently a sort of acceptance on here that scoring goals wasnt really our biggest issue, it was keeping the back door shut, not helped by a lightweight midfield. 

This all seems to be getting revised in some sort of pre emptive defence of Leigh Griffiths. 

I don’t think Griffiths was ever a predatory type who relied on huge service. Most of his goals tended to be creating space and getting an early shot away, normally very accurately. Of course that relied on his great movement and pace which he had allowed to disappear from his game.

No coincidence that his goals have dried up on the last 3 years or so as his fitness has gone, 

Just asking but how do we know Griffiths is on £1500 a week? Is that his basic or is there performance bonuses? Apart from on here I've not seen a figure mentioned. 

Performances are now having an effect with Saturday being the first time one of my mates isn't going another is working so if the weather's bad I probably watch livestream rather than sit myself at the game. The club needs to get results or not going to the odd game will become more common. 

2 hours ago, champions said:

Apparently Griffiths is a lazy sod at training, this came from a friend of one of the players.

Quite concerning if true

Wee Russell did absolutely f**k all in training and was one of our best players in living memory. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I seem to remember very recently a sort of acceptance on here that scoring goals wasnt really our biggest issue, it was keeping the back door shut, not helped by a lightweight midfield. 

This all seems to be getting revised in some sort of pre emptive defence of Leigh Griffiths. 

Depends on who the individuals are that you think are guilty of revisionism. Given we’re joint 5th highest goalscorers in Scotland’s third tier alongside Dumbarton, at no point this season have I accepted that scoring goals wasn't our biggest issue. We’ve been shit all over the park, is it too much to ask that we sort out more than just the defence?

Anyone who has actually watched the three games Griffiths has been involved in couldn’t possibly criticise him for a lack of goals or even effort for that matter. That’s why I’m defending him. Unfortunately though for whatever reason, it would seem that the vultures are hovering in the hope that he does fail.

24 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Wee Russell did absolutely f**k all in training and was one of our best players in living memory. 

Difference being latapy was approaching 40 and doing the business on a saturday afternoon, at times he was the best player on show and could at least still get about the pitch.

Quite a poor comparison tbf

30 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Just asking but how do we know Griffiths is on £1500 a week?

It won't be far off it, I like Leigh, was hoping he could be some kind of saviour for us, but the weight he was carrying, and the immobility was never going to work in the top flight. Should be hitting a few goals in your league though, hopefully.