The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Fed up Bairn said:

I think they should act now, get someone in to assess the current squad as soon as possible and clears the decks ahead of next season. The coming season is one  in which the club has to go up. We all have our own thoughts on who the Manager should be or who we would like to see at the club but for me I'd go for Jack Ross.....  I see no point in persisting with current experiment till the end of season. What's to be gained from that! 

Hahahaha... Jack Ross. f**k me man. 

Guest Ecosse83

I think I will be chucking it for the season now. Will probably watch a few games on FTV but that’ll be about it.

New board needs start making better decisions and quick. Probably spunked a fair amount of dosh already with zero improvement. Worrying! 

Edited by Ecosse83

Worryingly the Venn Diagram of folk who think it's too early to judge Rennie but getting shot of Hartley after 3 games was the right decision is pretty much a perfect circle.

We have the club we deserve.

9 hours ago, TedCrilly said:

Scott Brown was offered a deal with us previously and chose to stay part time. I know St Johnstone prefer to send youth players on loan to part time sides as it allows them to develop their youth in house still. Going hybrid and opening up part-time positions for a handful of players could be the difference IF we recruit wisely.

ETA: it would be interesting to know the PT/FT split when RR used this model or within Airdrie's current squad.

I don’t think Airdrie have as many full-time players as Raith did, I’m sure Raith only had MacDonald, Anderson, McGurn and maybe a one or two more. Certainly last season MacDonald was Raith’s only part-time player. 

When Airdrie first went to a hybrid system in 2019/20 I think our first-team was around a half an half split, with a full-time reserve team making up the numbers at training, which was ultimately a waste of money. We’ve never officially announced it but this season I think regulars like Currie, Watson, Agnew and Gallagher are part-time, while guys like Kerr, Fordyce, McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Smith etc are full-time.

I think Falkirk could get away with being completely full-time if their recruitment wasn’t so bad but it seems like even sensible signings like Leon McCann, Keaghan Jacobs and Aidan Nesbitt aren’t working out, Falkirk is the place where careers die. Having a part-time element with a handful of good players could definitely help but looking at the full-time Airdrie players I listed above, other than maybe Dowds in his current form I wouldn’t take anyone else in the Airdrie team at the moment.

Interestingly last summer was the first time in his spell as Airdrie manager that Ian Murray has been able to build his own squad and make all of his own signings, in previous years we had Stuart Millar as director of football signing guys who Murray clearly didn’t trust. The difference in  the quality of players and also the style of football since then has been incredible. It won’t work for every manager, I certainly wouldn’t trust Martin Rennie with a summer rebuild, but at this level keeping things simple and having good recruitment will generally be successful. Obviously Gary Holt is away now, which should improve the recruitment side of things, but League One is only going to get more competitive over the next couple of years so next season is really the time for Falkirk to get a grip and start doing things a bit more sensibly. Saying that, I keep thinking that at some point Falkirk will have reached rock bottom and one of their signings or managerial appointments will work out but they keep proving me wrong.

Edited by Mr November

My opinion is yes appointing Rennie was a gamble but unlike the many managerial gambles by previous boards, it seemed a good punt as MR has managed at levels way above Scottish League One - and done pretty well.

This is also the problem as he rocks up at TFS and the kind of player he is trying to work with is way below what he is used to or is used to his style of play. You can't get the right player to come down as low as we are - unless they are basically done and you pay them a heap of cash (Hmmmmm).

MR will be true to his beliefs and will keep trying what has worked for him before but in League One with these players it's probably not gonna.

It's only 6 months they say but the problem is it's an extremely important 6 months as we need to get out of this wilderness.   

7 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

My opinion is yes appointing Rennie was a gamble but unlike the many managerial gambles by previous boards, it seemed a good punt as MR has managed at levels way above Scottish League One - and done pretty well.

This is also the problem as he rocks up at TFS and the kind of player he is trying to work with is way below what he is used to or is used to his style of play. You can't get the right player to come down as low as we are - unless they are basically done and you pay them a heap of cash (Hmmmmm).

MR will be true to his beliefs and will keep trying what has worked for him before but in League One with these players it's probably not gonna.

It's only 6 months they say but the problem is it's an extremely important 6 months as we need to get out of this wilderness.   

He left a coaching job at a girls  college side though to come to us.  Is the standard of player there that much  better than Scottish League one that he wouldn't be use to it?

8 hours ago, foreverarover said:
9 hours ago, TedCrilly said:
Scott Brown was offered a deal with us previously and chose to stay part time. I know St Johnstone prefer to send youth players on loan to part time sides as it allows them to develop their youth in house still. Going hybrid and opening up part-time positions for a handful of players could be the difference IF we recruit wisely.
ETA: it would be interesting to know the PT/FT split when RR used this model or within Airdrie's current squad.

Rovers only had about 2 or 3 part time players at most. Thomson, Grant Anderson and I think McGurn was about it.

That would probably be the kind of numbers I would be looking at, but players at the top end of the part time market.

I really don’t think it’s the budget we have that forces us to bring in the dregs of full timers.

The issue is poor recruitment and we keep spending a fortune on bringing in and paying off shite.

I dread to think how much has been spent over the last 5 years on signing and paying off players and managers who have by and large been poor.

The other issue is we continually fail to address the key issues in the squad while spending a fortune elsewhere- £1.5k for Griffiths a week when the defence and midfield are totally inadequate and he will have no service.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

Guest Ecosse83

Hopefully Rennie sees sense on Saturday and attempts something different (highly doubtful). No matter what formation we play there are going to be weaknesses but that’s no excuse for him to persist with 352 so stubbornly, although it could be he just doesn’t know anything else at all. 

It’s getting to the stage that Rennie should just depart and let Miller take over for the rest of the season, certainly can’t get any worse!

Edited by Ecosse83

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I really don’t think it’s the budget we have that forced us to bring in the dregs of full timers.

The issue is poor recruitment and we keep spending a fortune on bringing in and paying off shite.

I dread to think how much has been spent over the last 5 years on signing and paying off players and managers who have by and large been poor.

The other issue is we continually fail to address the key issues in the squad while spending a fortune elsewhere- £1.5k for Griffiths a week when the defence and midfield are totally inadequate and he will have no service.

I agree, we probably have a budget that is compatible with a number of Championship sides, there is maybe an issue in attracting players to this level of football so we are paying over the odds for players that don’t justify the wages and then as you say have to pay the majority of them off.

Whatever has gone before we need to try a different approach. I would like to see us try and blend in maybe 3/4 top end part time players and see how that goes. Even just until we manage to get out of L1 and then look towards going full time again.

We definitely need to try something different.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Guest Ecosse83
6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree, we probably have a budget that is compatible with a number of Championship sides, there is maybe an issue in attracting players to this level of football so we are paying over the odds for players that don’t justify the wages and then as you say have to pay the majority of them off.

Whatever has gone before we need to try a different approach. I would like to see us try and blend in maybe 3/4 top end part time players and see how that goes. Even just until we manage to get out of L1 and then look towards going full time again.

We definitely need to try something different.

We could just try appointing a half decent manager 😂

Guest TedCrilly

It’s definitely a recruitment issue rather than a lack of budget. Airdrie signed McCabe, Easton and McInroy during the summer who would all sleepwalk into our midfield. McInroy obviously a loan signing but the other two will be on a weekly wage that is well within our budget. Murray is also a far better manager than our crop meaning he gets the best out of the squad and has signed players with a purpose to the squad.

Edited by TedCrilly

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Worryingly the Venn Diagram of folk who think it's too early to judge Rennie but getting shot of Hartley after 3 games was the right decision is pretty much a perfect circle.

We have the club we deserve.

I’ve always kept quiet about this but Hartley would have realised that those players he/the super scout signed weren’t good enough and fixed us in January. As much as he’s an arrogant idiot of a man, he’s won something at every club bar us. His side were miles ahead of us again last Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I’ve always kept quiet about this but Hartley would have realised that those players he/the super scout signed weren’t good enough and fixed us in January. As much as he’s an arrogant idiot of a man, he’s won something at every club bar us. His side were miles ahead of us again last Saturday.

This is probably true, loathsome wee shite of a man but with the exception of his summer brain fart with us has been successful.

Just watched the interview and not sure what game he was watching with his analysis.
We were told by the new BOD in newsletter that we are trying everything possible for the play offs and a chance of promotion. With that in mind, listening to Rennie, he’s either

1.super confident we can still achieve

2.already has the backing of the BOD to rebuild in summer

3. Or simply completely out his dept