The Falkirk FC Thread

What @RandomGuy. fails to see is that Rennie isn't a long term appointment so binning him now really has no bearing on whether we give him time or not. 

Persisting with him is admitting we're waiting for the season to end rather than planning longer term and getting someone committed to what obviously needs done.

Not a single member of the 1st team staff, realistically, has any skin in the game.

Rennie could be gone of his own accord and the loan players, Griffith's and Hetheringtons etc who have shown nothing under two managers will all be gone as well.

The harsh reality is Falkirk are in no-mans land now under Rennies continuing tenure and even if the board and he came to agreement recent displays suggest he's no closer to improving us.

29 minutes ago, Fed up Bairn said:

I think they should act now, get someone in to assess the current squad as soon as possible and clears the decks ahead of next season. The coming season is one  in which the club has to go up. We all have our own thoughts on who the Manager should be or who we would like to see at the club but for me I'd go for Jack Ross.....  I see no point in persisting with current experiment till the end of season. What's to be gained from that! 

It’ll not take that long to assess the current squad, they range from pish to fu@king pish

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

One week he talks about continuity, getting a settled squad and us being a new team. 

Then tonight it's 'I felt I had to make 6 changes to the starting line up to freshen up'

Best of all 'there are a lot of draws in this league'

“There are lots of draws in the league” Yes Martin there is, but it doesn’t mean we need to join in. Be brave and try and win the game ffs!

1 minute ago, GooseLips said:

How is the fat racist getting on? Spending more time getting fit and less time asking school children for pictures hopefully?

Signed a few autographs, came on as a sub after 55 minutes, had a good free-kick which the keeper saved, then jogged around a bit for the rest of the game. Banked £1.5k. A good nights work.

Also liked the fact Lewis asked him if he ever contemplated taking off a defender and changing formation. That's like asking Santa if he fancies making Christmas the 27th next year. "We did consider it but we don't have the players to do that" whose fault is that given you've signed 6 players and pigeon holed yourself into having to play 5-3-2.

Scott Brown was offered a deal with us previously and chose to stay part time. I know St Johnstone prefer to send youth players on loan to part time sides as it allows them to develop their youth in house still. Going hybrid and opening up part-time positions for a handful of players could be the difference IF we recruit wisely.
ETA: it would be interesting to know the PT/FT split when RR used this model or within Airdrie's current squad.
Rovers only had about 2 or 3 part time players at most. Thomson, Grant Anderson and I think McGurn was about it.

Long post incoming. 

Felt worse after that than the QP 6-0. I hate using the word but I was ashamed at everything tonight.

Watched on Falkirk TV, so first thing’s first, the commentary. Self pitying shite with a dose of unprofessionalism with comments about the referee too. As said previously, it is an attitude I do not like about the club that I hope others do not share. Rennie’s post match interview after Airdrie I think it was was of similar vein - it was all the ref’s fault.

Well, the game itself. Is it an exaggeration to say the worst performance I’ve ever seen from us given we didn’t actually lose the game? Maybe. But a part time team have just came to TFS, presumably with 1 training session between the Airdrie game and tonight and a sizeable injury list, and completely outplayed and outfought everyone in our team. They were quicker, smarter, more skilled, and had far better shape than we did. 

Why is that? Trolls like random guy can come here and say it’s the fans fault, as we shouldn’t expect better than that. Laughable. 

As I said after Cove, we have a core of 12 or so who should comfortably battle it out with any team in the league.

Mutch - been excellent since his injury. Saved us again tonight 

Williamson - literally played for the team that pissed on the league last year.

Paul Watson - meh defender but decent enough for this level. Performances haven’t dropped that much since his first spell with us. 

Leon McCann - airdrie player of the year (last year?), I like him. Gets played once every 3 weeks.

Mills - young tall kid, looked good tonight in only his second game. Was dropped for brad fucking McKay for 3/4 weeks.

Dixon/ATS - jury out. I’d suggest adequate cover at this level.

Nesbitt - ridiculously good for his first month with us. Hasn’t done it since. Jury out I guess 

Morrison - still contend he is a weapon at this level. Quick and his final product particularly shooting isn’t as bad as some make out 

Telfer - skillful player who’d do well behind the front 2. Played about 6 yards in front of the Centre half!

Hetherington - been a let down, but when we got him from Alloa they guaranteed we’d be getting a player. After years of watching him for them, were they wrong? Or is it far more likely that, for some reason, he just hasn’t done it for us yet? 

Kabia - serious player. Pace is frightening with some touch too. Knows where the net is. Hope his injury isn’t serious

Dowds - baller, another one who’ll be off to at least 1 league higher in the summer 

Griffiths - has looked pretty guff but had been starting games for Dundee first half of the season. If you don’t think, with any sort of service at all, he wouldn’t score barrels of goals in L1 you need your head checked.

This is before we get to the fact that Rennie was given the funds to sign 6 players, including a bank breaking LG, and has had 2 months to sort any problems given the loan window doesn’t end til next week.

I would love to be wrong, but I’ve seen enough. I struggle to see him as anything other than a youth coach. Much like Cones and M&M. His interviews are as deluded as the end of Cones’s reign - eg, Peterhead coming here and sitting in. What a disrespectful attitude. They came here and deserved to win, playing better football.

Sacking him now would be ludicrous, obviously, but the board have played a blinder getting him on a 6 month contract (despite the appointment itself looking like a gamble that hasn’t worked). 

Final point - this may be controversial. Imo we haven’t looked like a football team since McKinnon. Sure, his reign wasn’t good, but I think he was the last guy we had who could be labeled an actual manager of a professional football team. Which leads me to say the Summer appointment needs to be an older head, who has actually managed at a level. The list of names will be grizzly (Jim McIntyre anyone), but we’ll have to grin and bear that, as we’ve tried the young football “coaches”, with no success.

18 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Having watched the interview like Sheerin, for me, Rennie is too passive.

Rennie should be demanding a win and not simply looking forward to another mediocre performance in pursuit of getting players fit.

Thats been every manager and almost every player since Hartleys dodgy summer. In fact, its the best 1 word description you could use for Falkirk FC. 

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which is common when managers with a "style" take over clubs mid-season. They're just working out whos useful going forward and whos not before they bring in their own men for the next season. 

For all you know hes been told to effectively write off a title challenge so you can be fully prepared and ready to go next season.

Is that your new manager's action plan for next season in the Championship?

Unless your appointing somebody with a track record like Pep Guardiola then every managerial appointment is a gamble.

Rennie was a gamble - a gamble that ultimately has failed, unfortunately. However, I'm glad that we gave it a go. If we had appointed one of the usual suspects such as Gus McPherson, folk would have been on here spitting feathers. Rennie gave us hope that we might make the play-offs, one of the usual suspects would have guaranteed that we wouldn't.

We move on, suss out who might be available / approachable for taking over in the summer and go again next season.

I'm as gutted as the rest of you.

That was absolutely horrific - useless, lazy, inept shitbags from back to front - except Mutch and Dowds.  Peterhead deserved to win by 2 or 3 goals - they had pace, energy and strenghth which we are embarrassingly short of. I absolutely hate this team and manager with almost no exceptions - they have the potential to kill this club stone dead if the fans end up caring as little as the players and the coaches clearly do....

Mutch 7/10 - Better than Martin.  Some good saves and kept us in it but still had a couple of bombscare moments that make me think he isnt long term answer

Williamson - 2/10 - Weak as piss tonight.  Usually not bad going forward but clearly terrified of another injury

Mills - 5/10 - Young lad, tried hard but thrown in at deep end. Probably better than the rest of the experienced back 4...

Watson 3/10 - Thought he done OK first half but was so poor in the second - no leadership or characters in this team, him included

Dixon - 3/10 - I have liked Dixon over last couple of years but his time is up - injury not helped him but time to cut loose

McGuffie - 3/10 - Such a lightweight.  Capable of a good pass but played out of position and just too weak and played some shocking passes

Telfer - 3/10 - Another player i like but is being wasted - too slow and lightweight tonight and was 2nd best to most challenges

Miller 2/10 - Just a waste of time. All the Peterhead players just glided past him - he is so slow and limited and just does nothing.  He was absolutely on his last legs in 2020 - to start for us in 2022 is absolutely beyond belief. i  honestly dont think he would start for any team in League 2 or the Lowland League - he is that bad.

Nesbitt - 2/10 - Thought he was horrific and has been for about 4 months. Cant do anything - cant pass, beat a man, tackle, score or assist - whats the point - a shadow of the player we saw in August. Another year of him doing nothing - or we pay up his contract and he no doubt rekindles his form at Kelty next season....

Kabia - 6/10 - Some nice touches - our only player who didnt look like a slow part timer.  Hope the injury is not too bad

Dowds - 7/10 - Took his goal well and carried team for 1st 60 mins. Tired after that - but you cant take him off as the options on the bench (Wilson, Ross, Hetherington) are absolutely disgustingly bad.

Griffiths - 3/10 - Started brightly but looked seriously unfit and uninterested for last 20 minutes

ATS - 3/10 - Any initial optimism about him has gone - he is another McKay/Lemon/Hall....

Jacobs - 4/10 - Had to start over Miller.  The fact Miller played 90 minutes is a sackable offence for me.  Not great but tried a bit more than the rest

Lemon - 4/10 - Feel sorry for him - not signed for first team - Holt promoted above his level. Watson was injured so not his fault he was brought on - but Rennie HAD to try something different other than bringing him on

Rennie - 1/10 - Utterly honking - every single decision and tactic today was worse than anything Sheerin, Miller, McKinnon or Hartley have done in memory - we are the worst now we have ever been and its 100% his fault. Every fan in the stadium can see he doesnt have the players to play his system. Staggering he is persisting and cant see him gettin another UK management job unless he starts again on Saturday.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

They won't though. You've appointed a young manager whos been left with a shite, unbalanced, squad, and you've all written him off after 10 games.

Whats that got to do with Rennie, exactly?

You're not just going to magically turn great again overnight, so I've no idea quite how you'll ever be happy if thats what you're expecting.

Young manager ?

The squad has become more unbalanced after 50% of his January transfers in were centre halves. 

As far as budgets go, we are the equivalent of one of the evil twins in the 3rd division

P26 W9 D6 L11 GD -2

Rennie has had a decent bit of cash to make us at least look like a football team that doesn't look like an under 7 game. The only credit I will give him, is our corners have improved. We miss out the midfield and wonder why we can't defend and in tonight's Rennie interview the better word comes out.

Sorry but finishing 5th will be an achievement under him this season.

2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

That interview is one of the worst I’ve heard from a Falkirk manager. If that first half was good then I’m incredibly worried.
Also, when asked about the change in formation he basically said we don’t have the players to play a different system, well why not sign the players you need for the system you want to play?

He did. He signed the players to play a 352

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They won't though. You've appointed a young manager whos been left with a shite, unbalanced, squad, and you've all written him off after 10 games.

Whats that got to do with Rennie, exactly?

You're not just going to magically turn great again overnight, so I've no idea quite how you'll ever be happy if thats what you're expecting.

Young manager? He's 46 FFS and been managing since 2005 probably longer than most others in the bloody league.🤣🤣

We had a couple of players that at least tried ( Kabia Dowds) the rest can hang their heads in shame. Appalling performance and if I was opposite the manager I would have been livid not to take the three points. Another surprise starting eleven that looked void of fitness, thought and pace. Serious questions over our set up, our tactics and substitutes.
I’ve backed the manager as it was always going to be a hard gig to get it team corrected in a notorious difficult signing window, but serious questions must be asked. Bringing on a defender with five to play was an appalling decision. For me this is not acceptable and confirms he was more interested in not losing rather than winning. Season is now finished and unless QP decide to start losing on a regular basis its another disaster for the club.