The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Totally agree, listened to Watson’s post match interview, at least he apologised in his opening line. However sick of hearing “we’ve had a great weeks training” couldn’t really give two Fcks as it never materialises on a Saturday, and just confirms that the many of players just going through the motions.

He also acknowledged that the whole performance was shite. For me Tuesday is now critical anything less than a win will almost confirm our season end.

For me this is the type of attitude that’s been prevalent at our club for a while now. We think we are entitled to be challenging for the title in this league - we are not.

If we lose on Tuesday and even worse on Saturday, our season is far from over as we will be fighting for survival in this league.

We have that horrible attitude, like Sunderland, where we think we are much bigger and better than we actually are.

Watched an English non league game on the outskirts of London just before Covid visited. Not exactly any class near the higher divisions, but would easily give most teams outside our top six/seven a game. Both teams played some neat fast flowing one touch football with long balls thrown in. 
Thing that stuck out for me is all players knew exactly how to play to their strengths and weaknesses. Throw in that the players were all 6Ft + but could do all the simple things like passing, tackling and heading, it was almost like watching a football match…..

We have that horrible attitude, like Sunderland, where we think we are much bigger and better than we actually are.

Spot on. It's pretty much the sole reason why a lot of opposition fans are taking so much joy seeing Falkirk's current predicament tbh.

If the fear is that Rennie is a bit pish then a 6 month deal is a very clever deal by the new bod. Don’t know why a short contract “doesn’t make sense” - old board would’ve given him a 3 year deal after his first win and we’d be stuck paying out 100k or something in the summer (if he does turn out poor, not guaranteed yet) 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

For me this is the type of attitude that’s been prevalent at our club for a while now. We think we are entitled to be challenging for the title in this league - we are not.

If we lose on Tuesday and even worse on Saturday, our season is far from over as we will be fighting for survival in this league.

I don’t think that is the case as much now. When I think back to that c**t Deans telling the world he would take great delight in thrashing clubs 5-0 because they looked after their own interests during covid I think we have learned our lesson from that sort of behaviour. 

The reality is we have been mismanaged for a dozen years.

You are correct we have to earn the right on the pitch to go up. However we have the fanbase, which creates finance, that managed properly going forward that should get us out of this league. 

The sooner our supporters realise the club are not sorting this quickly the better for us all no matter how frustrating that is for us all. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

The “first 8 games” comparison (and it’s the only up to date comparison we can go by) reads like this……

Sheerin. Played 8. Scored 11 Conceded 10 Points 11

Rennie   Played 8  Scored 16 Conceded 11 Points 10

We have scored more, conceded more and have fewer points.

Now, Sheerin kind of went off the cliff thereafter picking up just 5 points in his next 8 games, so I doubt very much if Rennie is going to go the same way, but equally, there is nothing that says we are suddenly about to explode into life.

The cold stats say that right now, Rennie is doing no better than Sheerin, and I can’t imagine that is going down well………and if I am being brutally honest, Rennie’s intransigence of formation with players not capable of playing that way (effectively) is simply compounding the many issues he has inherited from the Deans Board, Holt and Sheerin.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Spot on. It's pretty much the sole reason why a lot of opposition fans are taking so much joy seeing Falkirk's current predicament tbh.

That's a load of rubbish.

No one is expecting to win every game 5 nil and fully appreciates that it is just 11 v 11 and you have to earn the right to win. But with the largest fan base, a full time team in a predominantly part time league, one of the largest, if not the largest budgets we should be able to put a side out that wins most weeks and at the very least competes every game.  My opinion would be the same if we were in the Championship compared to other sides, just like if we were in the top flight based on resources we'd be bottom half/fighting relegation.

Look around other leagues throughout europe and scotland, the teams with the most resources tend to be near the top, if not top. Obviously you get the odd exception like arbroath but it's quite rare.

9 minutes ago, champions said:

That's a load of rubbish.

No one is expecting to win every game 5 nil and fully appreciates that it is just 11 v 11 and you have to earn the right to win. But with the largest fan base, a full time team in a predominantly part time league, one of the largest, if not the largest budgets we should be able to put a side out that wins most weeks and at the very least competes every game.  My opinion would be the same if we were in the Championship compared to other sides, just like if we were in the top flight based on resources we'd be bottom half/fighting relegation.

Look around other leagues throughout europe and scotland, the teams with the most resources tend to be near the top, if not top. Obviously you get the odd exception like arbroath but it's quite rare.

Spot on. Noone has a divine right to be in any league but that shouldn't mean us fans shouldn't be expecting us to be doing a lot better considering our resources etc. Christ there's other teams with a lot less resources than us that think they should be playing at higher levels FFS. Queen's park fans moaning when their mid table in league one when they are getting crowds of a few hundred and have been shite for decades. We don't expect to be challenging rangers or Celtic, we don't expect to be top flight constants even but mid table in league one is way below where we should be .

12 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Anyone who is saying the manager can’t do anything due to the mess he’s been left (or words to that effect) look at Imrie at Morton. Arguably a team heading towards bottom of the league until he came in. Instant results with a bang average squad. 

Bang average squad but what we have is a below average one due to Holts recruitment we have a good few players that shouldnt be near a football let alone a football team McKay for starts.

You cant get a tune out of players who lack the ability to do even the basics, Rennie is in a similar situation to when McKinnon took over from Hartleys duds 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

By “a lot of opposition fans” you mean yourself, a Raith fan and a slack handful of others…….and even the Raith fan has lost any and all rights to show “joy” at any other club’s misfortune. 
Time for you to get over yourself.

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Bang average squad but what we have is a below average one due to Holts recruitment we have a good few players that shouldnt be near a football let alone a football team McKay for starts.

You cant get a tune out of players who lack the ability to do even the basics, Rennie is in a similar situation to when McKinnon took over from Hartleys duds 

He's brought in 6 now though which if the right signings should've provided us with a team that can at least compete with the other sides in the top half and get a decent run going.  There should be absolutely no need to keep playing hetherington and Mackay after a whole transfer window has passed. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am no fan of the EPL but was persuaded to go to Anfield yesterday to watch Liverpool. 
Sorry but it was like watching a different game than we watch in Scotland. 
Quick incisive passing, from both sides I may add, athletic players, brave on the ball and style and structure to the game that was easy on the eye.
Not going become a Liverpool fan anytime soon but bloody hell it was a great watch. 

Been to many games at all levels in England, for a few years Rushden and Diamonds were my English team (did a lot of work in the area).

Whilst the skill levels and tactics were on a different planet in the Liverpool, Chelsea, Leeds etc games I always took more pleasure from the R and D games because I had a horse in the race.

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Been to many games at all levels in England, for a few years Rushden and Diamonds were my English team (did a lot of work in the area).

Whilst the skill levels and tactics were on a different planet in the Liverpool, Chelsea, Leeds etc games I always took more pleasure from the R and D games because I had a horse in the race.

Let's face it we don't support Falkirk for the trophies and silky football it's in your blood and that's that. 

23 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's brought in 6 now though which if the right signings should've provided us with a team that can at least compete with the other sides in the top half and get a decent run going.  There should be absolutely no need to keep playing hetherington and Mackay after a whole transfer window has passed. 

Thats the thing though the team need to be on form or all putting in the same effort you have a brad mckay putting in a 50% effort and a Hetherington putting in a 60-70% effort youve got 8 other outfielf players trying to carry 2 passengers the trouble is there are too many not putting in the effort required.

14 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Thats the thing though the team need to be on form or all putting in the same effort you have a brad mckay putting in a 50% effort and a Hetherington putting in a 60-70% effort youve got 8 other outfielf players trying to carry 2 passengers the trouble is there are too many not putting in the effort required.

But we shouldn't be having to play these players that's the thing. We've had a full transfer window to ensure they don't play in the navy blue again apart from an injury crisis. We signed a boy from hull. Why then is Mackay still playing?  We signed Jacobs so hetherington shouldn't be anywhere near the side even though we could do with another midfielder which should really have been a priority over  one of the 3 strikers.  I'd play anyone before I'd play bloody hetherington again.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Supporting smaller clubs is indeed “in the blood”. We seldom leave……we just tend to get a bit angry.

For me and due to personal experience, I wouldn’t have gone back if Deans McFarlane and Holt were still there. When your club feels as if it’s rotten to the core, then that’s it done for me.

Now, I clearly don’t feel that way anymore. Sheerin didn’t bother me, as he was clearly miles out of his depth……..and would simply be emptied sooner or later.

I am at the point where folks used to say “play the kids, they can’t be any worse”, but today’s translation would be  “race the horse you brung”, and that would be Dowds, Griffiths, Jaze, Mills, Jacobs and yes, maybe even ATS (or maybe not) plus the best of what you inherited…..,McCann, Dixon, Williamson and so on.

Be man enough to understand that orange isn’t the only fruit, and you need to play a system that the players are comfortable with. If it’s a 4-4-2, then play 4-4-2. Being an effective coach is not simply about getting the players to play as you want them to. It’s about recognising their limitations and playing a system that suits the players more than it might suit your principles.