The Falkirk FC Thread

Right, all the ifs buts and maybes have gone, and the landscape is clear. No more Queens “games in hand”.

Today, right now, our fate is not in our own hands. We trail Queens by 3 points and a massive goal difference that can only be closed by us out scoring them massively, and picking up 3 points that they don’t.

If results are broadly similar between now and the end of the season, beating them would not be enough.

24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Right, all the ifs buts and maybes have gone, and the landscape is clear. No more Queens “games in hand”.

Today, right now, our fate is not in our own hands. We trail Queens by 3 points and a massive goal difference that can only be closed by us out scoring them massively, and picking up 3 points that they don’t.

If results are broadly similar between now and the end of the season, beating them would not be enough.

Our fate is in our hands, it’s up to us to produce the goods between now and the end of the season.

Points will be dropped by everyone.

Their goal difference advantage is huge. Sure, it opened up by 12 simply by battering us 6-0, but for now, it’s as good as a point.

Our fate will only be in our own hands once we have a point more than them having played the same number of games. We have collectively become very good since McKinnon’s time of taking comfort from believing our fate was in our own hands even when realIty eventually bites and tells us differently.

If we were to go into the last game against QP needing to win to pip them, then fair enough. If we needed to not only beat them, but also need to beat them by 4 or 5 goals, then that’s not the same thing.

We really don’t want Cove to drop points against anyone other than ourselves.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

I watched the Cove v QP game today and was surprised how poor Cove were. Yes they had the majority of possession due to a silly sending off, but they honestly created very little over the 90 mins and Queen’s P deserved their point due to resolute defending.
Not sure how much we can take from this given that our own defensive challenges can’t quite be described as over, but I certainly think we will give Cove a lot more problems in their defence than they had today.
I don’t think winning this one is inconceivable but we won’t be able to allow our midfield to drop back for long spells to help out the defence as we did in the first half of the Alloa game. All that does is invite the opposition into our half and put us under more defensive pressure that we always struggle to contain….

I think we need to beat a team above us, and that’s next week. I would actually be gutted if we don’t. It’s a real springboard into the last eleven games, and would announce that we are back in the room.

I agree, I don’t think Cove are anything special…….they really haven’t had to be given that Sheerin and Holt gave them something approaching a third of a season’s head start

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think we need to beat a team above us, and that’s next week. I would actually be gutted if we don’t. It’s a real springboard into the last eleven games, and would announce that we are back in the room.

I agree, I don’t think Cove are anything special…….they really haven’t had to be given that Sheerin and Holt gave them something approaching a third of a season’s head start

I actually think that if we beat Cove next week then Airdrie could well beat them to the title.

8 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

On another note. You can see why clubs use artificial surfaces when you look at the state of the Firhill pitch.

IMG_1644708333.811970.jpg

This will kill QP as the season goes on 

10 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I watched the Cove v QP game today and was surprised how poor Cove were. Yes they had the majority of possession due to a silly sending off, but they honestly created very little over the 90 mins and Queen’s P deserved their point due to resolute defending.
Not sure how much we can take from this given that our own defensive challenges can’t quite be described as over, but I certainly think we will give Cove a lot more problems in their defence than they had today.
I don’t think winning this one is inconceivable but we won’t be able to allow our midfield to drop back for long spells to help out the defence as we did in the first half of the Alloa game. All that does is invite the opposition into our half and put us under more defensive pressure that we always struggle to contain….

Let's face it there isn't one really special side in the league which only emphasises the fact that again this season has been a huge missed opportunity to get back to the championship considering the resources available to Sheerin and Holt last summer.  I'd venture that partick and Raith were both better sides than cove . To be 20 points behind them is utterly ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Let's face it there isn't one really special side in the league which only emphasises the fact that again this season has been a huge missed opportunity to get back to the championship considering the resources available to Sheerin and Holt last summer.  I'd venture that partick and Raith were both better sides than cove . To be 20 points behind them is utterly ludicrous.

Don’t forget who caused that when you are ranting the next time we give up a corner in the first half 😂

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Said this from the first quarter, a set of very ordinary teams, one or two decent players spread throughout and agree, to be twenty points adrift shows just how shite we’ve been. There’s been improvement in the team by R&M, however next week Is the acid test, beat CR and set our stall, it will give us a fighting chance.

17 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Said this from the first quarter, a set of very ordinary teams, one or two decent players spread throughout and agree, to be twenty points adrift shows just how shite we’ve been. There’s been improvement in the team by R&M, however next week Is the acid test, beat CR and set our stall, it will give us a fighting chance.

Even if we don’t win we will still have a “fighting” chance 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Don’t disagree but three points against any of the top teams is something we’ve not done, confidence would return as it’s clear to me we’ve lacked for a long time.

We did beat Airdrie at the start of the season but your point is valid.

This week is massive, on paper we have a decent side, and we should be going into every game thinking that 3 points is achievable.

6 minutes ago, champions said:

Aberdeen have sacked Glass, could that be an issue for us due to Cormacks/Rennies links to the US? 

Or would they be more inclined to go for a more established UK option due to Glass failing miserably?

Can’t see it 

8 minutes ago, champions said:

Aberdeen have sacked Glass, could that be an issue for us due to Cormacks/Rennies links to the US? 

Or would they be more inclined to go for a more established UK option due to Glass failing miserably?

Can't see anyone being interested in Rennie at this stage. I'm sure if he gets us promoted and doing well then yes but at this moment in time I doubt he'll be on any teams radar. 

Got to laugh at Cormack though.  Glass was supposed to be a long term project according to his car crash  radio interview a few months back and yet he's away after 11 months.🤣

Edited by Shadwell Dog