The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

It isn’t clutching at straws it is factual and all achieved without most of the new signings being bedded in. You would think we should only improve from here. 
There has to be cause for optimism however cautiously. (Well for most anyway) 

Agree. The signs have been positive and I do believe we have a chance to finish the season strongly, which at this point is all we can ask for. Some huge games coming up over the next few weeks. 

51 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Agree. The signs have been positive and I do believe we have a chance to finish the season strongly, which at this point is all we can ask for. Some huge games coming up over the next few weeks. 

More than anything, I'm actually excited to see what we can do, which is a feeling I haven't had in a long long time. 

Guest Ecosse83
16 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I really  don't see what's wrong with querying why we are constantly below par in the first half of games.  It's something we need to improve on if we want to beat the decent sides and get into the playoffs.  

It is something we need to improve on definitely. They probably need more time to get us firing for a whole 90 mins though(something I had to remind myself of after Queens Park). Rennie said himself the last month has been like a pre season for them. 

We’re better but there is still more to come, let’s just see what happens in the next month or so! 

If you expect Rennie to turn this around quickly that's tantamount to saying 'OK, Sheerin was pish but all the players lacked was appropriate guidance'. Does anybody really think that? On the pish-o-meter, several of the players were right up there with Sheerin. Trying to weed out the dross and replace with better in the middle of a League 1 season is no simple task. I think, by and large, he's done well while attempting to play a brand of football that appeals. I don't like the slow starts - though as has been said, slow start or not, they could have been two up in the first 15 at Alloa - but what is of more importance to me is that they come out in the second half better schooled and put on a display to counter what went on in the first. Unlike what we had before - like, for years now - where a slow start usually amounted to 90 minutes. 

39 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

But will we dominate the first half?

Know what I was thinking right...I was thinking that if we could dominate the first half and then dominate the second we'd dominate the whole game and we'd win it if we could score goals and not let any in. It's time Rennie realised that and got it sorted out. That's what good managers would do anyway.

It’s the first time in the past two years that I can honestly say I’m excited albeit nervous for the Cove game. The signings so far has been very decent, questions still with ATS and the young CB, but for me the capture of Griffiths is monumental. Yes he’ll be first to admit he’s been a fool at times but on the park he’s up there. Great bit of business by the club.

30 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Know what I was thinking right...I was thinking that if we could dominate the first half and then dominate the second we'd dominate the whole game and we'd win it if we could score goals and not let any in. It's time Rennie realised that and got it sorted out. That's what good managers would do anyway.

But will we dominate the warm up?

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It’s the first time in the past two years that I can honestly say I’m excited albeit nervous for the Cove game. The signings so far has been very decent, questions still with ATS and the young CB, but for me the capture of Griffiths is monumental. Yes he’ll be first to admit he’s been a fool at times but on the park he’s up there. Great bit of business by the club.

At the moment, Kabia is the best of the signings.  

What Shadwell does have right is that we need to start beating the teams above us, starting with Cove.  

At the start of the season, we drew away with Cove and Montrose and beat Airdrie at theirs.  Sure we slumped from there but real progress would be going up to Cove and taking 3pts.   Win there and we'll really start to build the momentum and get the fans back for the run in.  

17 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There was only 4 new players in the side on Tuesday and ATS has now been in the side for over a month so should be well settled in by now.  Dowds has been training with the team all season.  I wouldn't quite say a team full of strangers.

We were certainly awful at the tail end of Sheerins tenure after the wheels had come off completely. However, I'd still say at the moment we're back to on a par with the earlier stages of Sheerins reign.  To take the next step we need to start beating the sides above us or at least picking up a point in places like cove. That would show real progress.

Goals change games, we had guilt edge chances in most games early on.

I discussed with a hibby last week the Lyle Taylor one on one to make if 4-0 changes that game,btw he'd left at half time 😄

I'm pretty sure we have only had two players (Telfer and McGuffie)who have started all 7 games under Rennie, that tells you more than trying to pin point 4 new players and one has been training with us throughout, bringing training up is so Sheerin tho. The defence has been changing weekly doesn't help also.

We are still very much WIP but I think we have surpassed Sheerin on the park and off it, no manager with any credibility should come out with I don't know if I can fix it and remain in his job, we also look like scoring goals, the amount of games we had zero shots at goal in a first half under Sheerin and some games no shots on target.

All very much early days but if we can get a tune out of Griffiths then we won't be far away from getting our minimum expectation.

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Goals change games, we had guilt edge chances in most games early on.

I discussed with a hibby last week the Lyle Taylor one on one to make if 4-0 changes that game,btw he'd left at half time 😄

I'm pretty sure we have only had two players (Telfer and McGuffie)who have started all 7 games under Rennie, that tells you more than trying to pin point 4 new players and one has been training with us throughout, bringing training up is so Sheerin tho. The defence has been changing weekly doesn't help also.

We are still very much WIP but I think we have surpassed Sheerin on the park and off it, no manager with any credibility should come out with I don't know if I can fix it and remain in his job, we also look like scoring goals, the amount of games we had zero shots at goal in a first half under Sheerin and some games no shots on target.

All very much early days but if we can get a tune out of Griffiths then we won't be far away from getting our minimum expectation.

Our midfield has not worked for seasons they are not effective in supporting the defense behind them and the forwards in front.

Rennie and Miller future depends an getting a tune out of the mediocrity we have in the middle of the park.

38 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

At the moment, Kabia is the best of the signings.  

Yes a very decent player and can’t argue, merely making reference to us being able to get Griffiths who I think with his experience can help us get into the POs. ( and a few more fans onto the gate) 

Sheerin managed a points per game average of 1.0 

Prior to the Alloa game, MR was at 1.16. That was the lowest “better than Sheerin” figure that was possible after 6 games.

MR is now at 1.43, but I think the average MR needs to get up to is 2 or better.

The earliest point at which MR could get to 2 points average per game is after 11 games in charge with 22 points earned. While achievable, it would require us to win our next 4 games……given that we have struggled for back to back wins for several years, it seems unlikely.

If MR can get 2.0 for his 19 games in charge, he would have earned 38 points to add to Sheerin’s ridiculous 16 points from three game less…..54 points for the season. Is that enough to earn a play off spot? Maybes aye, maybes naw, (but probably aye).

We also want Cove to lose to us, but nobody else.

Let’s not kid anyone on, we’ve got 12 cup finals and need to back the club regardless of what’s went on.

Scores of good people who have chosen not to attend because of the abhorrent and disgraceful decisions by many of the BODs and managers, I hope can accept that we’ve now got people in these positions that want the best for Falkirk FC.

It’s a huge ask but hope that many can forgive and get behind the team again.

As many have posted it’s not going to be plain sailing and still parts of the team that needs improvement, but after two years of abysmal football, there’s a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.