The Falkirk FC Thread

I haven’t seen anything yet from Rennie to warrant an extended deal tbh.
It may well be that things do ‘come good’ in a few weeks and we can look at contract extensions then, but imo it would be hugely premature to  make those decisions now.
I like that he identified the issues that needed resolving. That sounds simple, but successive managers and one excuse for a DoF couldnt seem to manage it.

I like, largely, the sort of player he has targeted.

At best we probably have a 10% chance of going up this season but as long as there is a chance we have to go for it.

Even if we improve next season (surely) this league is going to be very difficult to escape from.

Kelty will be a direct replacement for Cove, Queens Park will throw money at it, Airdrie and Montrose will still be strong and whoever comes down will be desperate to avoid making the monumental arse of getting promoted back that we have.

We are in a difficult spot but at least the club is now getting its act together after the horrific few years that we have endured.

Laing, Deans, Holt and the rest of the incompetents that have crippled our club should hang their heads in shame.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Yeah, I thought it was a rude and unnecessary response tbh to a standard question. 

Aye just like he is going to come out and say he will be back Tuesday or out for 6 weeks to alert Alloa. 

14 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

All he needs to say is I don’t know in that case. No need to get arsey with the Falkirk TV guys.

I didn’t think it was  

45 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I agree that I'd like to give Rennie/Miller next season and some proper backing to let them build their own squad but looking at the list of contracts for next year we're going to have to keep more players than we'd like.
Was happy to see a fightback in the 2nd half yesterday as I spent first half thinking that my apathy had grown to the point that it was the least annoyed I'd ever been at seeing us losing.
I think a decent end to the season is needed to generate some positivity for next year and goodwill towards the new board/management team.

We can’t go on hiring and firing. I’d keep R&M as agree that the replacements brought in, are as good we could of hoped for in a notorious difficult window,  but a little disappointed we’ve not identified maybe another one or two (clock is ticking)

The biggest burden is the amount of players still contracted next season, just hoping many of these contracts are caveated and void ( cancelled / annulled/ up for discussion) if promotion is not full filled. If not we’re going to be in a very difficult and worrying situation.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

All he needs to say is I don’t know in that case. No need to get arsey with the Falkirk TV guys.

I'm sure he wasn't being arsey. I didn't see that interview live but I've watched all the away ones from about five feet away and he actually has a very friendly relationship with Stuart and Lewis. Partly caused I think by one of them being at school with his brother so they've known each other for a long time. 

I took his answer as being a standard deflection that managers usually employ when it comes to injuries. 

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

We can’t go on hiring and firing. I’d keep R&M as agree that the replacements brought in, are as good we could of hoped for in a notorious difficult window,  but a little disappointed we’ve not identified maybe another one or two (clock is ticking)

The biggest burden is the amount of players still contracted next season, just hoping many of these contracts are caveated and void ( cancelled / annulled/ up for discussion) if promotion is not full filled. If not we’re going to be in a very difficult and worrying situation.

Rennie & Miller may well go unless they get a 2 - 3 year deal to sort out the mess.

If they only get a one year deal then its the Deja Vu a transfer merry go round and basically pot luck with the dross available knowing if it goes wrong their managerial careers are over.

I think they will walk without a decent long term contract.

26 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Rennie & Miller may well go unless they get a 2 - 3 year deal to sort out the mess.

If they only get a one year deal then its the Deja Vu a transfer merry go round and basically pot luck with the dross available knowing if it goes wrong their managerial careers are over.

I think they will walk without a decent long term contract.

A one year rolling is the max we should have anyone on at the moment until they can prove they have what it takes to get things moving . We must have spent a fortune paying people off since Houstie left.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I like that he identified the issues that needed resolving. That sounds simple, but successive managers and one excuse for a DoF couldnt seem to manage it.

I like, largely, the sort of player he has targeted.

He is in the Elvis box for me so far. By that, I think he has identified the issues (more or less) that we collectively have seen for months. He has also managed to bring in better than what we have in a very difficult window.

The big missing (and I guess he needs much more time) is that we aren’t seeing evidence of being able to quickly integrate those players into the team and improve results.

Elvis had an eye for a player, but never seemed to be great at building a team. To be fair, it tends to be the charismatic managers who get instant results, and the autocratic ones take longer to get things the way they want them to be……but it tends to be more stable when they do.

……..and we have to remember that Deans and his yes brigade ably assisted by Holt have ensured that the majority of the squad we have now will also be here next season. Holt even seemed to enjoy saying “this season’s squad is next season’s squad too”.

I often catch myself getting positive that the club will have the same type of clause we had for the likes of Buchanan, announced as a 2 year deal but without promotion we don’t need to take up the 2nd year option but then I remember who handed out those contracts in the summer and get internally sad again . 

418671A7-4C4B-48EC-9AE7-609F9E37F6AD.jpeg

10 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A one year rolling is the max we should have anyone on at the moment until they can prove they have what it takes to get things moving . We must have spent a fortune paying people off since Houstie left.

The notice period on those types of deals is far too long at a year. 

Guest Ecosse83

£18 to watch the game on tv tomorrow night, no chance! 

Oh well at least it will stop me spouting off of the performance isn’t up to much 😂🤦‍♂️

One thing I did notice was even when Hetherington came on, Watson kept the armband. I've seen armband passed on when captains have come off the bench before, so can we now assume that Watson is the team captain? Maybe looking too much into it, but out of the current squad, he'd probably be one of the top picks for the role anyway.

10 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

I often catch myself getting positive that the club will have the same type of clause we had for the likes of Buchanan, announced as a 2 year deal but without promotion we don’t need to take up the 2nd year option but then I remember who handed out those contracts in the summer and get internally sad again . 

418671A7-4C4B-48EC-9AE7-609F9E37F6AD.jpeg

Mackays is a 3 year deal no clauses nothing unfortunately.

I would think so wrt captaincy. Hetherington being Sheerin’s pick for captain will now be consigned to the bin along with just about every other idea that popped into the man’s head.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mackays is a 3 year deal no clauses nothing unfortunately.

What about the Rawlins ‘incentivised wage structure’? More crap from them?