The Falkirk FC Thread

It’s the midfield that needs the surgery. Bring in more defenders or attackers, and nothing will improve if that midfield isn’t overhauled. Says a lot when Jacobs rocks up in the morning, and is easily our best midfielder in the afternoon.

That Nesbitt header after 5 minutes……a genuine contender for a Danny Baker video.

It’s the midfield that needs the surgery. Bring in more defenders or attackers, and nothing will improve if that midfield isn’t overhauled. Says a lot when Jacobs rocks up in the morning, and is easily our best midfielder in the afternoon.
That Nesbitt header after 5 minutes……a genuine contender for a Danny Baker video.
Nesbitt has been spoken about a lot of late, but what hes suffering from I think, is a level of exposure. As Rennie makes changes, and replaces shit with competence week by week, the thing Nesbitt was getting credit for before no longer get you any... Being a trier in a shite team is fine, gets you onside with the fans. Not saying we arent shite, but your now comparing him to Jacobs beside him, and looking for him to set up chances for Kabia who looks like hel take them.... Running about a lot is suddenly not cutting it

If you look at a combination of longevity, ability and impact on the team then Ben Hall is a bottom five all time player for us since I went to my first game in 1996. He was directly or indirectly responsible for about a goal a game, and that's before you look at the nerves he put the rest of the side in, him constantly being targeted at set pieces and his dire use of possession. It will be a sad day when someone trumps Leo Fasan but Hall might be number 2 in all seriousness.

Giving him a new contract in the summer despite having a season and a half of first hand evidence is up there with the worst decisions the club have ever made. Holt really was worse than useless. Decisions like keeping Hall almost seem to have been active moves to damage the team.

Telfer and Nesbitt are good enough for me but probably can't play in the same side given they are both lightweight and best in the 10 role.

Morrison is obviously the pick of the bunch (though may take a while for him to learn how to play in the new formation) and I think Jacobs will be a good signing once he gets up to speed.

The reason the midfield is such a shitshow is because Miller, Hetherington, Ross & McGuffie offer nothing. So guys like Telfer have to play deeper where they are less effective.

I did feel a little sorry for McGuffie in the Clyde and Montrose games as he's never a wingback in a million years and does have some qualities but just doesn't show them enough. Another one that is also far too lightweight. How Holt/ Sheerin thought he could play in a team that also contained Morrison, Telfer & Nesbitt is beyond me.

As others have said the defence now looks capable of defending, and the strikers (well, Dowds and Kabia) will score goals if provided with chances, but the whole thing falls down if the midfield isn't up to scratch. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Telfer and Nesbitt are good enough for me but probably can't play in the same side given they are both lightweight and best in the 10 role.
Morrison is obviously the pick of the bunch (though may take a while for him to learn how to play in the new formation) and I think Jacobs will be a good signing once he gets up to speed.
The reason the midfield is such a shitshow is because Miller, Hetherington, Ross & McGuffie offer nothing. So guys like Telfer have to play deeper where they are less effective.
I did feel a little sorry for McGuffie in the Clyde and Montrose games as he's never a wingback in a million years and does have some qualities but just doesn't show them enough. Another one that is also far too lightweight. How Holt/ Sheerin thought he could play in a team that also contained Morrison, Telfer & Nesbitt is beyond me.
As others have said the defence now looks capable of defending, and the strikers (well, Dowds and Kabia) will score goals if provided with chances, but the whole thing falls down if the midfield isn't up to scratch. 
I had been thinking ideally in a 3 5 2 you would have Jacobs and Craig, with a someone in behind 2 strikers and Morrison seemed natural rather than Telfer or Nesbitt.... Then I minded that when Hartley briefly had a decent side, he favoured 3 5 2. I need to go back and look at some line ups maybe but I distinctly remember I didnt like it whenever we went with Longridge in behind Jak and Nelson. I always felt it was a bit counter intuitive in terms of our attack which seemed to suffer.

I cant remember what the alternative was though.... Sibbs, Taiwo and McKee maybe?

Just a ramble really, but I do worry about where Morrison fits in at all. It maybe works given that Jacobs and Craig would be a pretty formidable 2.

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

You do have to wonder some times what it is that we are all missing here when a side near the top of the Irish Premiership, having conceded just 16 goals in 25 games, come in for one of the biggest haddies in our tier 3 club…….emoji848.png

That haddy Dallison really puzzles me, genuinely god awful up here but apparently very decent down South 🤔

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

That haddy Dallison really puzzles me, genuinely god awful up here but apparently very decent down South 🤔

Guy hadn't played a single first team match before he turned out for us. No surprise he was poor. More and more experience of first team matches and he was bound to improve somewhat.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I had been thinking ideally in a 3 5 2 you would have Jacobs and Craig, with a someone in behind 2 strikers and Morrison seemed natural rather than Telfer or Nesbitt.... Then I minded that when Hartley briefly had a decent side, he favoured 3 5 2. I need to go back and look at some line ups maybe but I distinctly remember I didnt like it whenever we went with Longridge in behind Jak and Nelson. I always felt it was a bit counter intuitive in terms of our attack which seemed to suffer.

I cant remember what the alternative was though.... Sibbs, Taiwo and McKee maybe?

Just a ramble really, but I do worry about where Morrison fits in at all. It maybe works given that Jacobs and Craig would be a pretty formidable 2.

Pretty sure it was Kidd who played in midfield for a time when Hartley played the 352. 

Agree on Craig and Jacobs with Nesbitt playing ahead of them sounds more solid than McGuffie/Miller.

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Pretty sure it was Kidd who played in midfield for a time when Hartley played the 352. 

Agree on Craig and Jacobs with Nesbitt playing ahead of them sounds more solid than McGuffie/Miller.

Thats right he did move into midfield well remembered. 

16 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

I’ve read it all now. Can’t wait for it to happen.

Whilst this is highly unlikely to be true.. I wouldn't be too opposed to it. Assuming we bring in a midfielder who can hold onto the ball and control the midfield better than what we currently can. 

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Would be pleased with both. Didnt dislike Todorov first time around and he is capable of bullying defenders.

IIRC he can also play CH. Ideal if we lose a defender mid game and our striker goes back, leaving Brad Mackay welded into his tracksuit.

Liam Craig speaks for himself.

Todorov isn't that special and can be frustrating but can be effective, McKinnon preferred Jarvis who I'm sure has scored under 10 goals since his time here, which isn't a surprise. He made not scoring a skill of its own.

Todorov seems well out of the picture at Dunfermline, be surprised if he remains at the pars.

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Guy hadn't played a single first team match before he turned out for us. No surprise he was poor. More and more experience of first team matches and he was bound to improve somewhat.

Looked like Beckenbauer in a reserve game against Ross County but then in the same game Froxysilias (wee fat Cypriot we got from Dumbarton) played like a poor mans Messi.

All went to shit in the first team of course.

Nesbitt shows flashes of flair but he's nowhere near as good as Telfer especially in the middle of the park. He's even more of a shitebag than Telfer which really is an achievement in itself. Whenever we have a battle on our hands and he's in the middle of the park we're a man down. Telfer can run a game and should actually be playing further up the park than he has been this year. 

Telfer - 22 league games 3 goals and 5 assists
Nesbitt 22 league games 2 goals and 3 assists