Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Personally I'm not seeing Morrison as an option in a midfield three. He's a bit of a blunt object and is at his best when he's taking defenders on directly. I don't see him having the necessary balance in his play to complement an older Liam Craig or Gary Miller and Charlie Telfer who looks a bit overwhelmed as it is.

Nesbitt and McGuffie flit in and out of play a bit too much for my liking to go into that three as well.

Morrison is a striker in this 3-5-2 or an option off the bench. Nesbitt is a potential option in games against the weakest sides in the division in a midfield three. McGuffie is a player I don't particularly rate anyway but I think he's very much a square peg for a round hole in this formation.

If it's to be Liam Craig, Telfer and one other than I really think we need a third player in who can go box to box and is more physical in their style of play. Alternatively, I view all of our other options as being flawed to a lesser or greater extent unless Hetherington comes back as a new player.

I agree re Morrison, he doesn't really fit in to the 3-5-2 as he isn't a striker or a 10. Definitely best on the right, the problem is we don't really have anyone to play on the left if we go 4-4-2. As you say McGuffie has been poor there (mainly I think due to his lack of pace) but has improved a bit when playing more centrally. I'd still have Morrison in the starting 11 every week though.

Nesbitt and Telfer should thrive if played in the right position, but having them both in the team at the same time leaves us quite lightweight as you say.

Still plenty to work on for Rennie in terms of our shape and overall balance of play, but for me he's off to a decent start in that he's identified the players that weren't good enough and signed improvements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

I’m just not getting this Liam Craig love in.

He'll be an improvement on what we have but definitely not the sole solution to our problems in midfield given he's not going to add any energy in there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He'll be an improvement on what we have but definitely not the sole solution to our problems in midfield given he's not going to add any energy in there. 

It’s energy we need, we need a big mobile ball winner that will protect the defence and do the simple things like give the ball to the creative players like Telfer, Craig doesn’t fit the bill as far as I’m concerned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

It’s energy we need, we need a big mobile ball winner that will protect the defence and do the simple things like give the ball to the creative players like Telfer, Craig doesn’t fit the bill as far as I’m concerned. 

It's not energy we need, it's strength and composure and the ability to pass a ball. Someone to win the the tackles and give the service. Nesbitt is like a duracell bunny, all the energy in the world but like a headless chicken sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I agree re Morrison, he doesn't really fit in to the 3-5-2 as he isn't a striker or a 10. Definitely best on the right, the problem is we don't really have anyone to play on the left if we go 4-4-2. As you say McGuffie has been poor there (mainly I think due to his lack of pace) but has improved a bit when playing more centrally. I'd still have Morrison in the starting 11 every week though.

Nesbitt and Telfer should thrive if played in the right position, but having them both in the team at the same time leaves us quite lightweight as you say.

Still plenty to work on for Rennie in terms of our shape and overall balance of play, but for me he's off to a decent start in that he's identified the players that weren't good enough and signed improvements.

Really don’t agree that Morrison is best out wide as his crossing is abysmal.

Played in the 10 role his running would pull defenders all over the place and create space for the two up front to exploit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:
It's not energy we need, it's strength and composure and the ability to pass a ball. Someone to win the the tackles and give the service. Nesbitt is like a duracell bunny, all the energy in the world but like a headless chicken sometimes. 


I get what you are saying but without energy they will struggle to be in the right place to be able to win the tackles, protect the defence and give the service to the likes of Telfer who in my opinion has the composure and ability to make telling passes. 
Liam Craig is not that type of player

Edited by grumpyoldman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of our best central midfielders of the past 20 years was David Nicholls, who barely seemed to move an entire game but was hard as nails and did the simple things very well. He played with us until his mid-30s as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

So is Liam Craig effectively confirmed just not announced on the social media pages yet? 

He was still a St Johnstone player last night so until I see a picture of him with a falkirk scarf above his head infront of the wee gate from brockville im not quite getting my hopes up too much yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

I’m just not getting this Liam Craig love in.

I get where you're coming from here but hopeful that'll he'll give us enough to improve the midfield.  A worry that St J fans are saying his legs are gone though.  We don't need another Gary Miller in there.  

Similar reservations about Watson tbh.  Without doubt an upgrade on Hall/McKay but wasn't amazing first time round and released by one of the worst Dunfermline teams in recent years.  Again hoping for the best.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thing is, the midfielder we need today might not be the midfielder we need tomorrow.

If we stick with a 3-5-2 set up, and the 3 at the back is Watson, Dixon and ATS, then that alone looks like a defence less prone to howlers every week.

Right now though, we all want see a hard tackling defensive mid that will protect a back three containing Hall and McKay. That role might actually end up being redundant in a week or two.

Edited by Duncan Freemason
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

One of our best central midfielders of the past 20 years was David Nicholls, who barely seemed to move an entire game but was hard as nails and did the simple things very well. He played with us until his mid-30s as well.

Spot on, was a great player often overlooked. Done all the shutting down, tackling and what a left peg (stuff that few if any) I’ve seen since Nic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going off the assumption that even at 35 Craig simply has to be better than Miller & Hetherington 

Dowds and Kabia look like they will score goals so we've got to get the defensive side of the team sorted. We don't need him to be the box to box runner he was with us, just sit in front of the defence and give the ball to those in front of him or spray it out to the wingbacks. As long as he doesn't get caught dithering on/ pushed off  the ball or pick up stupid red cards that will do me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'm going off the assumption that even at 35 Craig simply has to be better than Miller & Hetherington 

Dowds and Kabia look like they will score goals so we've got to get the defensive side of the team sorted. We don't need him to be the box to box runner he was with us, just sit in front of the defence and give the ball to those in front of him or spray it out to the wingbacks. As long as he doesn't get caught dithering on/ pushed off  the ball or pick up stupid red cards that will do me.

100% agree 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/01/2022 at 08:58, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was "Morton-esque" in feel. Need to check the stats for that, but I fear it would be too sanity-destroying to undertake.

Morton’s spectacular implosion and collapse in 2003/04 saw a 15 point swing to Airdrie in 13 games to the point where they overtook us (from 14 ahead of them after 16 games each to 1 behind when Airdrie had played 29 and Morton had played had 28). To the end of the season it was 25 points over 20 games, with them ending up 11 points ahead.

The Falkirk to Partick swing was 10 points in 5 games to the point they overtook you (from 8 ahead after Falkirk had played 14 and Partick 13,to 2 behind after 18 each). To the end of the season it was 16 points in 9 games, ending up 8 points behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Morton’s spectacular implosion and collapse in 2003/04 saw a 15 point swing to Airdrie in 13 games to the point where they overtook us (from 14 ahead of them after 16 games each to 1 behind when Airdrie had played 29 and Morton had played had 28). To the end of the season it was 25 points over 20 games, with them ending up 11 points ahead.

The Falkirk to Partick swing was 10 points in 5 games to the point they overtook you (from 8 ahead after Falkirk had played 14 and Partick 13,to 2 behind after 18 each). To the end of the season it was 16 points in 9 games, ending up 8 points behind.

Thank you for doing the research!

Although Morton's was worse in absolute points, ours was worse in ppg: 1.78 versus 1.25 points lost each week on average.

Soul destroying stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'm going off the assumption that even at 35 Craig simply has to be better than Miller & Hetherington 

Dowds and Kabia look like they will score goals so we've got to get the defensive side of the team sorted. We don't need him to be the box to box runner he was with us, just sit in front of the defence and give the ball to those in front of him or spray it out to the wingbacks. As long as he doesn't get caught dithering on/ pushed off  the ball or pick up stupid red cards that will do me.

You still need mobility to be able to do that, at 35 I’m not sure Craig will have that.

One thing he would bring is leadership though but that’s not enough IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, grumpyoldman said:

You still need mobility to be able to do that, at 35 I’m not sure Craig will have that.

One thing he would bring is leadership though but that’s not enough IMO

Yeah, I like Liam Craig as a player, and he certainly was dynamic in there, but I have nagging doubts about his ability to get around the park effectively too. Or if he sits, who does his running?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...