The Falkirk FC Thread

One of our best central midfielders of the past 20 years was David Nicholls, who barely seemed to move an entire game but was hard as nails and did the simple things very well. He played with us until his mid-30s as well.

7 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

So is Liam Craig effectively confirmed just not announced on the social media pages yet? 

He was still a St Johnstone player last night so until I see a picture of him with a falkirk scarf above his head infront of the wee gate from brockville im not quite getting my hopes up too much yet. 

55 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

I’m just not getting this Liam Craig love in.

I get where you're coming from here but hopeful that'll he'll give us enough to improve the midfield.  A worry that St J fans are saying his legs are gone though.  We don't need another Gary Miller in there.  

Similar reservations about Watson tbh.  Without doubt an upgrade on Hall/McKay but wasn't amazing first time round and released by one of the worst Dunfermline teams in recent years.  Again hoping for the best.  

Thing is, the midfielder we need today might not be the midfielder we need tomorrow.

If we stick with a 3-5-2 set up, and the 3 at the back is Watson, Dixon and ATS, then that alone looks like a defence less prone to howlers every week.

Right now though, we all want see a hard tackling defensive mid that will protect a back three containing Hall and McKay. That role might actually end up being redundant in a week or two.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

One of our best central midfielders of the past 20 years was David Nicholls, who barely seemed to move an entire game but was hard as nails and did the simple things very well. He played with us until his mid-30s as well.

Spot on, was a great player often overlooked. Done all the shutting down, tackling and what a left peg (stuff that few if any) I’ve seen since Nic.

I'm going off the assumption that even at 35 Craig simply has to be better than Miller & Hetherington 

Dowds and Kabia look like they will score goals so we've got to get the defensive side of the team sorted. We don't need him to be the box to box runner he was with us, just sit in front of the defence and give the ball to those in front of him or spray it out to the wingbacks. As long as he doesn't get caught dithering on/ pushed off  the ball or pick up stupid red cards that will do me.

2 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'm going off the assumption that even at 35 Craig simply has to be better than Miller & Hetherington 

Dowds and Kabia look like they will score goals so we've got to get the defensive side of the team sorted. We don't need him to be the box to box runner he was with us, just sit in front of the defence and give the ball to those in front of him or spray it out to the wingbacks. As long as he doesn't get caught dithering on/ pushed off  the ball or pick up stupid red cards that will do me.

100% agree 

On 26/01/2022 at 08:58, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was "Morton-esque" in feel. Need to check the stats for that, but I fear it would be too sanity-destroying to undertake.

Morton’s spectacular implosion and collapse in 2003/04 saw a 15 point swing to Airdrie in 13 games to the point where they overtook us (from 14 ahead of them after 16 games each to 1 behind when Airdrie had played 29 and Morton had played had 28). To the end of the season it was 25 points over 20 games, with them ending up 11 points ahead.

The Falkirk to Partick swing was 10 points in 5 games to the point they overtook you (from 8 ahead after Falkirk had played 14 and Partick 13,to 2 behind after 18 each). To the end of the season it was 16 points in 9 games, ending up 8 points behind.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Morton’s spectacular implosion and collapse in 2003/04 saw a 15 point swing to Airdrie in 13 games to the point where they overtook us (from 14 ahead of them after 16 games each to 1 behind when Airdrie had played 29 and Morton had played had 28). To the end of the season it was 25 points over 20 games, with them ending up 11 points ahead.

The Falkirk to Partick swing was 10 points in 5 games to the point they overtook you (from 8 ahead after Falkirk had played 14 and Partick 13,to 2 behind after 18 each). To the end of the season it was 16 points in 9 games, ending up 8 points behind.

Thank you for doing the research!

Although Morton's was worse in absolute points, ours was worse in ppg: 1.78 versus 1.25 points lost each week on average.

Soul destroying stuff.

16 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

You still need mobility to be able to do that, at 35 I’m not sure Craig will have that.

One thing he would bring is leadership though but that’s not enough IMO

1 minute ago, grumpyoldman said:

You still need mobility to be able to do that, at 35 I’m not sure Craig will have that.

One thing he would bring is leadership though but that’s not enough IMO

Yeah, I like Liam Craig as a player, and he certainly was dynamic in there, but I have nagging doubts about his ability to get around the park effectively too. Or if he sits, who does his running?

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yeah, I like Liam Craig as a player, and he certainly was dynamic in there, but I have nagging doubts about his ability to get around the park effectively too. Or if he sits, who does his running?

Because Telfer's certainly not going to.

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Thank you for doing the research!

Although Morton's was worse in absolute points, ours was worse in ppg: 1.78 versus 1.25 points lost each week on average.

Soul destroying stuff.

The only one I could think of off the top of my head that might have been an even worse PPG collapse was Alloa losing three of their last four in 09/10 to miss out on goal difference to Stirling, however having checked although Alloa were 15 points clear after 32 games Stirling had only played 28 which obviously skewed it massively so it doesn't really work as a comparison.