Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

 

 12+ days since Kenny Miller uttered those quotes

As Dick Campbell would say, with those estimations KM can come and measure my carpets 🙄📏

We've obviously lost out on targets he alluded to us being 'far down the line with' which isn't exactly hard to imagine given our current state. 

Edited by FFC 1876
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to keep positive on players coming in, guess after reading most sports pages this morning, by the sounds of things many clubs still looking at moving/changing players. It’s likely that we will see activity right up until the window closes. 
(however it’s difficult not to accept after KMs statement that we’ve lost out on some players unfortunately)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m maybe out on a limb here but if Rennie and Miller were willing to stay past this season I would be having these talks with them now, the new board may be doing this. From what I’ve seen there is definitely an improvement in the way we are playing, we are creating far more clear cut changes and barring the defensive frailties we could have beaten Airdrie.

January is always an extremely difficult window and I would like to see them given a close season and a chance to build something for the future, that’s if he was willing to relocate.

Edited by Harry Kinnear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

I question what happens if the Rennie experiment goes Pete Tong? Do we honestly think this board have a backup plan to this bubbling in the background?

Like the May, Bannon, Hartley, McKinnon, Sheerin or M&M experiments ?  ..... or maybe the Yogi, Totten, Jeffries or McCall experiments ?

You could make a case for appointing all these managers good and bad. In our case it's been a mixed bag of how successful our managers have been. Some I would never have though would turn out to be good.... some I've really been disappointed in.

You never know how it will turn out and I woould like to think the BoD have appointed the person they think would do best for the club.

Considering Rennie's experience and record abroad, in various countries turning teams around, he may have been the best option.  No back up plan needed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we are in the unfortunate position of being in a league where really good players want to remain part time rather than go full time.  I think this may be part of the problem for Rennie to get who he wants in. There are some cracking players in our league who will just not go full time for economic reasons. 

As we progress up the leagues (if we ever do), then there will be more cash to attract a good full time professional on a reasonable wage.

For the moment, either we go to a hybrid part/full time squad..... or we splash the cash to get half decent players in. 

As it stands, I don't think we will ever get our of this league paying the wages we do, where It has shown we can only attract bang average players.  

Edited by Zbairn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

I think we are in the unfortunate position of being in a league where really good players want to remain part time rather than go full time.  I think this may be part of the problem for Rennie to get who he wants in. There are some cracking players in our league who will just not go full time for economic reasons. 

As we progress up the leagues (if we ever do), then there will be more cash to attract a good full time professional on a reasonable wage.

For the moment, either we go to a hybrid part/full time squad..... or we splash the cash to get half decent players in. 

As it stands, I don't think we will ever get our of this league paying the wages we do, where It has shown we can only attract bang average players.  

Maybe wrong but the hybrid model was mentioned by the BOD ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Could covid be a factor at play here? I'm thinking a lot of full-time clubs will look to keep larger squads, and less players out on loan, to cope with potential outbreaks.

If course it is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve said many times on this forum that we should go to a hybrid model until we are out of this league. Look at the top end of the part time market instead of continually dealing in the dregs of the full time players.

Edited by Harry Kinnear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’m maybe out on a limb here but if Rennie and Miller were willing to stay past this season I would be having these talks with them now, the new board may be doing this. From what I’ve seen there is definitely an improvement in the way we are playing, we are creating far more clear cut changes and barring the defensive frailties we could have beaten Airdrie.

January is always an extremely difficult window and I would like to see them given a close season and a chance to build something for the future, that’s if he was willing to relocate.

We've only played 3 games. Let's see the standard of new signings and the results between now and may before handing out more longer contracts. We need to learn from past cockups like signing  m and m up after about 3 games.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The until the end of the season thing always struck me as if we don't go up Rennie will probably be looking for a better offer.  If we do go up he may decide to stay and see what he can do.  I also kind of wonder if his plan is to help KM back into the managerial hot seat by expecting we'll promote him when Rennie finds something else.  

Realistically, if he gets us out of league 1 and walks I'll still be really happy, if he doesn't get us out of league 1 and walks we aren't likely to be in a much worse place than we are now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MetalWolf said:

The until the end of the season thing always struck me as if we don't go up Rennie will probably be looking for a better offer.  If we do go up he may decide to stay and see what he can do.  I also kind of wonder if his plan is to help KM back into the managerial hot seat by expecting we'll promote him when Rennie finds something else.  

Realistically, if he gets us out of league 1 and walks I'll still be really happy, if he doesn't get us out of league 1 and walks we aren't likely to be in a much worse place than we are now.

I think he’s taken the short contract to decide if this is where he wants his managerial career to be. I’m assuming his family are still living in the states so this contract is likely a trial. If he’s happy then he will likely look to relocate his family and look for a longer contract

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m maybe out on a limb here but if Rennie and Miller were willing to stay past this season I would be having these talks with them now, the new board may be doing this. From what I’ve seen there is definitely an improvement in the way we are playing, we are creating far more clear cut changes and barring the defensive frailties we could have beaten Airdrie.
January is always an extremely difficult window and I would like to see them given a close season and a chance to build something for the future, that’s if he was willing to relocate.

You talk far too much sense Harry!!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

The until the end of the season thing always struck me as if we don't go up Rennie will probably be looking for a better offer.  If we do go up he may decide to stay and see what he can do.  I also kind of wonder if his plan is to help KM back into the managerial hot seat by expecting we'll promote him when Rennie finds something else.  

Realistically, if he gets us out of league 1 and walks I'll still be really happy, if he doesn't get us out of league 1 and walks we aren't likely to be in a much worse place than we are now.

Think he’ll want to bring the club from the depths of darkness.

As mentioned he’s in the job five minutes and maybe didn’t imagine the enormity of task of getting us out this league. 

Bit early to call any shots but I’d imagine he wants to be here more than the six months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Could covid be a factor at play here? I'm thinking a lot of full-time clubs will look to keep larger squads, and less players out on loan, to cope with potential outbreaks.

Premiership clubs have also also gone back to allowing five subs per game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

I think we are in the unfortunate position of being in a league where really good players want to remain part time rather than go full time.  I think this may be part of the problem for Rennie to get who he wants in. There are some cracking players in our league who will just not go full time for economic reasons. 

 

I don’t think that’s true in most cases. Yes, there are exceptions like McAllister and Megginson but I’d say the vast majority of part time players would take a full time contract if offered.

Good youngsters in particular want to progress in the game and that means going full time.

The other thing is that the exceptions tend to have a good career/business where they’re currently based so they’re not going to give that up to move to the central belt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...