Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Raith had one massive advantage and that's mcglynn. Without him they would be nowhere near fighting it out for the championship title now given their resources in comparison to others.  Can Rennie do what mcglynns done we'll soon find out.

McGlynn was in his mid 40’s, a similar age to Rennie, when he got his first managers role at a senior Scottish club in Raith. He took 3 attempts to get Raith promoted from the same league we are in now. I’m not having a dig at McGlynn but he’s improved over time and isn’t the coaching God you are making him out to be.

Rennie’s been in the door 5 mins after reasonable success in the USA and Korea. Give him a break and stop banging on about McGlynn ffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcglynn was working on a third of the budget we were but still managed to produce a side capable of winning the league. 

The last few managers to win this league have been

McCall

Campbell

Mcglynn

McCall

And it looks like Hartley. Managers steeped in contacts and experience of the Scottish game. It gives you more than an inkling  of what type of manager you should be going for if you want promotion.  

 

A third you say! My goodness, your contacts really are shit hot Shadwell. Not only do you know what our budget was but you also know that Raith's was just a third of it. Some guy right enough.

You would almost think that such capable managers who are steeped in contacts and experience should be managing at a far higher level? Amazing!

I just wish that our BOD were in tune to the extent that they could appoint someone like that instead of some American-Korean bloke who doesn't have any contacts or experience. Maybe someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

A third you say! My goodness, your contacts really are shit hot Shadwell. Not only do you know what our budget was but you also know that Raith's was just a third of it. Some guy right enough.

You would almost think that such capable managers who are steeped in contacts and experience should be managing at a far higher level? Amazing!

I just wish that our BOD were in tune to the extent that they could appoint someone like that instead of some American-Korean bloke who doesn't have any contacts or experience. Maybe someday.

Might be a bit less than a third to be honest it was  easy enough to check the accuracy of what I'd been told via published accounts  but the players were certainly  on peanuts and the club  was struggling badly financially thus the requirement to start bringing in part time players to fill their squad.  Something we're getting closer and closer to having to do after one poor managerial appointment after another.  If he hadn't got Raith promoted I reckon they'd be fully part time now. Mcglynns now 60. He's managed at top level and is now at a club that is centred round him just like Campbell at Arbroath. I'm not sure he's interested in taking on the pressures of a job at a higher level. He's doing a fantastic job at Raith where he is well appreciated for it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

McGlynn was in his mid 40’s, a similar age to Rennie, when he got his first managers role at a senior Scottish club in Raith. He took 3 attempts to get Raith promoted from the same league we are in now. I’m not having a dig at McGlynn but he’s improved over time and isn’t the coaching God you are making him out to be.

Rennie’s been in the door 5 mins after reasonable success in the USA and Korea. Give him a break and stop banging on about McGlynn ffs. 

I'm giving him a chance alright. He's done ok with the players at his disposal but has now hit the point where only bringing in better players will improve us further.  We'll find out over the next few weeks whether he's up to the job of doing that or not. Fingers crossed he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m pretty confident that Rennie will know where we need to improve however bringing in a new spine of quality to a really poor team is almost impossible during the January window. Let’s hope he gets at least some of his targets and at least it’s not Gary Holt identifying them.
I am resigned to another season in this league which will have Airdrie, Montrose, a likely improved QP, a flying Kelty and another relegated side next season. Season on season we look more and more like a mid-table League 1 team - it’s really grim.
 
The back to back appointments of Paul Hartley and Ray McKinnon look more damaging week on week. 
 
6 years ago tomorrow I watched us draw 1-1 with Hibs in front on over 7000 fans. We went on to finish 2nd, above Hibs and lose in the play off final.
I can’t believe how far we have fallen in 6 years. It’s been brutal.
10 years ago we drew away from home against Celtic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Take him in a heartbeat. No chance he'd drop this low. 

Very difficult unless there is someone he knows at the club then he would perhaps sign a short term deal to get his fitness back. More likely to end up with a past manager or colleague somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Griffiths has been released, worth a gamble ? 

Not a chance. Absurd idea anyway. Big attitude problem, disruptive figure,  not exactly renowned for a teamwork ethic, couldn't stir himself at Dundee, so where's his incentive to drop to the depths of L1? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’ll be Kelty.

I'm not sure that Kevin Thomson will have the necessary contacts or experience to be able to persuade him to sign TBH. He could maybe be a hypnotist though, that could maybe do it.

In fact that could maybe be a prerequisite for any future manager. 'Must be able to hypnotise to be able to recruit good players'. Aye, I like it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Only time will tell whether Rennie is the right man or not. As I said I have my concerns regarding his status and exposure in Scottish football and that then leading to his ability to get the quality of players in the door that we so badly need at the moment. 

Houston had status and exposure in Scottish football. The quality of the player he brought in wasn't always great as you so often stated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Not a chance. Absurd idea anyway. Big attitude problem, disruptive figure,  not exactly renowned for a teamwork ethic, couldn't stir himself at Dundee, so where's his incentive to drop to the depths of L1? 

Pay him per goal - he’d be scoring 6 a match! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People on here saying Griffiths would be a good shout need their heads checked. The guy hasn’t performed in years and is quite clearly not the interested. Why on earth would he be a good signing? Some fans deserve the club we have 

Edited by Rocco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Houston had status and exposure in Scottish football. The quality of the player he brought in wasn't always great as you so often stated. 

Houston was a massive disappointment when it came to recruitment. He never got anywhere near the right amount of use out of the loan market that he should have.  Managers who use that market well know it's thee best area to get players in you normally could not afford to have.  It's been a real let down of ours over the years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Rocco said:

People on here saying Griffiths would be a good shout need their heads checked. The guy hasn’t performed in years and is quite clearly not the interested. Why on earth would he be a good signing? Some fans deserve the club we have 

He scored 6 goals in 7 starts and 15 sub apps for Celtic in the premier  last season and 9 in 10 starts and 11 sub apps the year before. He still knows where the goals are but there will be offers from a lot of clubs and he's no link to us anyway either club wise really or personnel.

Will be interesting to see who we do bring in up front though. McManus showed how having a striker of that quality for league one level makes such a massive difference. His ability to find the net papered over a huge number of cracks that reappeared with avengance after he'd left.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He scored 6 goals in 7 starts and 15 sub apps for Celtic in the premier  last season and 9 in 10 starts and 11 sub apps the year before. He still knows where the goals are but there will be offers from a lot of clubs and he's no link to us anyway either club wise really or personnel.

Will be interesting to see who we do bring in up front though. McManus showed how having a striker of that quality for league one level makes such a massive difference. His ability to find the net papered over a huge number of cracks that reappeared with avengance after he'd left.

So you’r happy to overlook his off the field antics because he’s proven to score goals in previous years 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...