The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's exactly why you need a manager players trust and want to play for.  Dick Campbell could get players to come to Arbroath a club in league one that had done very little in the game and was situated in the arse end of beyond  but look at them now . Raith were going nowhere when mcglynn took over. They were also a basket case of a club but he still got players to come and play like reghan henry for instance.  McCall took Ayr United from league one to the top flight playoffs and Ayr aren't a club many players are exactly desperately.holding out to play for.  The status of the manager is vitally important to get players in. We'll find out soon enough how our man's doing.

Arse end of beyond 😂 where do you think Arbroath is? 

41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Show me where I said star players please ? You've completely made that up.🤣🤣

You have them up on a high pedestal, surely it's only star players they sign ?

McCall signed plenty duds in league one, he got lucky with Tifoney creating and scoring and Rudden being fully fit scoring 6/6 in his last six starts.

Still at least you've not compared the EPL to us now 😅

11 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

The back four who started for the team currently top of the Championship today have all been with the club since our league 1 / 2 days. Also Michael McKenna top scorer / assists in the Championship in the same boat.

A defence we need, if only we had contacts.

Dick is at the perfect club for him, don't think he could recreate what he has at Arbroath with a full time club, he certainly can compete against them 

I think it was Lewis C who mentioned “a new face” by next week. Clearly we need more than that, but if it’s one more CB to replace “goal a game” McKay, then even a single competent recruit might make a big difference.

Certainly we cannot keep going with Hall McKay and Miller. Add in Martin, and I am genuinely struggling to come up with a worse Falkirk defence in near enough 50 years. The last six games have seen that gang concede 18 goals……in L1. 

I still think we’re needing at least 5 in. Keeper, 2 centre backs, centre mid and striker. And all need to be good enough to come in and start.

I don’t think we’ll get them all in but we need to get absolute garbage like Hall, McKay, McGuffie etc.. the f**k out the team and if you look at the 5 on the bench that didn’t come on today it’s utter shite either no users or jobbers.

28 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

5 or 6 is pie-in-the-sky. One more is probably all we're looking at.

We've returned 1 possibly up to 3 loans (Ruth & Mcdaid are nowhere to be seen) and the board themselves stated the money raised from the patrons(around 200k) would be used to bolster the team. Somehow I don't think that's just going to be two signings especially when the first one was a free agent. 

Rennie's been asked a few times about where he's looking to bolster and he side steps the question as if he's worried about upsetting anyone in the squad by saying he's looking for someone in their position. Today's was 'all over the park we have area's we're looking to improve' 

I've been one of the most vocal on here about wanting signings in but it's clearly not as easy as we think especially given Covid's more likely to make teams retain players they'd generally have no issue letting go. Then add to the fact we're not exactly an exciting prospect to come to just now given our only realistic goal this season is finishing 4th in the third division of Scotland.

Edited by FFC 1876

Rennie and Miller are contracted only until the end of the season. As things stand, there is no "next season" where they are concerned. Their sole aim should be to somehow manage to get us into the top four - God help us that that is now the absolute limit of our aspiration for the remainder of the season, to try and finish just above midtable in League 1, but here we are - and then take our chances in the play-offs. Given our utterly pathetic inability to beat any team other than the absolute shite, even that looks a pretty erroneous task at this stage, albeit not impossible. The next two weeks are absolutely crucial in terms of recruitment to replace some of the dross who are continually selected week after week after week despite their consistently horrendous performances. 
This I know. Merely speculating what they might achieve IF they had a full squad to employ in summer but won't happen probably

57 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

A fourth season in league 1 would be disastrous for the club financially- I suspect we’d see a substantial fall in ST and PATG income.

Why?

I dont understand why people would just suddenly stop supporting the club after x amount of years

Any less than 4 signings and we’d be as well not bothering. The whole spine of our team needs improved and if we don’t intend to bring in a goalie, centre half, midfielder and striker then just forget it.

Also, I understand why he went with the same 11 today after scoring 6 last week but surely that’ll be the last time we see McGuffie in the team while Nesbitt sits on the bench 🤯

56 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

A fourth season in league 1 would be disastrous for the club financially- I suspect we’d see a substantial fall in ST and PATG income.

This line has been said numerous times over the last 10 years or so yet we still have over 2500 season ticket holders. 

With the new board in place now, next season will be their first full season in charge a good marketing slogan (remember the whole "our time", "my club" lines) I reckon we will see at least the same number of season ticket holders for next year

18 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've returned 1 possibly up to 3 loans (Ruth & Mcdaid are nowhere to be seen)

I might be wrong but I’m fairly sure Declan McDaid was in the stand today, so he’s presumably still around. 

I watched Rennie’s interview and him spending the full first two minutes complaining about referees in every game so far isn’t a great sign so early on. I thought the referee was poor today for both sides and was very inconsistent with his decisions but he’s not the reason Falkirk lost. To be fair the last time I saw Falkirk was the 6-0 defeat to Queen’s Park, so today was a massive improvement from them. Falkirk should win their game next week but I think the four after that look a bit tougher and will be a good indicator for how well Rennie will do. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He didn't get lucky. It was a no-brainer signing which was why McCall punted a boy back to rangers who he'd just agreed to sign to open up a space for him. I was surprised livi were making him available for loan to a league one club as he was an excellent player. 

Told me about their contacts? You only have to look at the players they keep bringing in from other clubs FFS.  Campbell has a great link up with livi where he's had nouble and now Jack Hamilton who was back scoring goals again today. He's got Craig wigton whose half decent on loan now too.

Mcglynn has just signed the excellent Jamie gullen from hibs and also has guys on loan from Livingston like Ben Williamson who is a very decent player.  We know all about McCall and his extensive contacts.  He has brought in a number of players from rangers on loan. 

They all have built up strong contacts throughout Scottish football over the last 40 years or so and are well respected by players and other managers. That's a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment.

Ask Morton and indeed Livi fans what they think of Tiffoney.

If Falkirk were in the position that Arbroath and Raith are in now we may be able to sign players of that calibre too. We're not, which is the whole fucking point!!

2 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Any less than 4 signings and we’d be as well not bothering. The whole spine of our team needs improved and if we don’t intend to bring in a goalie, centre half, midfielder and striker then just forget it.

Also, I understand why he went with the same 11 today after scoring 6 last week but surely that’ll be the last time we see McGuffie in the team while Nesbitt sits on the bench 🤯

Both are too soft to play in the middle of the park. Nesbitt is fine when he has the free role in the 10 but we don't have the luxury of allowing him a free role against the better teams in this league especially when Gary Miller's playing in the middle of the park. We need someone who's going to boss the middle of the park and allow Telfer to go make things happen. 

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I might be wrong but I’m fairly sure Declan McDaid was in the stand today, so he’s presumably still around. 

I watched Rennie’s interview and him spending the full first two minutes complaining about referees in every game so far isn’t a great sign so early on. I thought the referee was poor today for both sides and was very inconsistent with his decisions but he’s not the reason Falkirk lost. To be fair the last time I saw Falkirk was the 6-0 defeat to Queen’s Park, so today was a massive improvement from them. Falkirk should win their game next week but I think the four after that look a bit tougher and will be a good indicator for how well Rennie will do. 

Apparently his loans up tomorrow so the fact he was in the stand instead of on the bench means he's either injured or he's not fancied so he'll be back to Dundee tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the latter as he's been brutal. 

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Both are too soft to play in the middle of the park. Nesbitt is fine when he has the free role in the 10 but we don't have the luxury of allowing him a free role against the better teams in this league especially when Gary Miller's playing in the middle of the park. We need someone who's going to boss the middle of the park and allow Telfer to go make things happen. 

“We can’t play a number 10 against Airdrie”. f**k me if that doesn’t tell us how far we’ve fallen then nothing will.

Maybe they are both too soft but based on what we have at our disposal right now, nobody can tell me McGuffie is a better option than Nesbitt. 

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

Apparently his loans up tomorrow so the fact he was in the stand instead of on the bench means he's either injured or he's not fancied so he'll be back to Dundee tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the latter as he's been brutal. 

McPake has already confirmed Dundee are recalling their loan players in advance of them restarting on Tuesday night. He's away.