The Falkirk FC Thread

I've got to disagree there and I wouldn't agree with it but the club would move on just like it always has.  whilst on here the vast majority are against it it's probably more like 50/50 or even 60/40 in favour over the whole support.People will stop going perhaps some may never go back others will depending on how the club is doing or if he leaves.  Bods and players come and go but the clubs bigger than either of those sets and will continue to exist even if we sign goodwillie.  Some mistakes in the past have threatened the whole existence of the club .

In my opinion signing Goodwillie will threaten the existence of the club. His signing would impact massively on our ability to attract sponsors.

It's just another thing to add to the long list of us being a total basket case of a club. He's playing for Clyde because nobody else would take him, you can dress it up however you want but signing him is an act of desperation which seems odd considering it's a new regime in charge rather than the death throes of the previous lot.

Really hope it's a rumour, there will be other strikers available and I don't think this is worth the financial and reputational damage, particularly when we're unlikely to go up this year so there's extra time to bring someone in for next seasons (hopeful) challenge.

A lot of Hysteria about cryptic messages from the board. 
Is everybody forgetting that IF Goodwillie signs, it is because our new management team also want him?

Hope they don’t want Leigh Griffiths as his strike partner, this place would go into even more of a meltdown

1 minute ago, grumpyoldman said:

Hope they don’t want Leigh Griffiths as his strike partner, this place would go into even more of a meltdown

Well that opens up another hypothetic question.

Where do you draw the line regarding players with convictions? Leigh Griffiths recently had strong allegations pointed at him and has run ins with police in the past. 

Alan Lithgow is/was on the sex offenders register yet quietly goes about his footballing career. Is his previous demeanors acceptable?

Livingstons manager has done jail time for drugs offences yet is roundly accepted in Scottish football. 

BTW, I don't agree with signing Goodwillie. I just think plenty folk are jumping the gun way to quickly to preach their morals over somehting they may never even happen. 

18 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

It's not entirely irrelevant. 

There's many fans who wouldn't attend games if he signs. And that could be for what...3 years. So are you going to continue to pay FSS monthly if you can't/won't attend games. Maybe, but it's  harder for people to justify I think.

On the flip side (hypothetically) the FSS would be the best vehicle for its members to to overturn or change anything they disagree with within the club with it eventually having two elected reps on the BOD. The membership elect these reps to speak on there behalf, the stonger the FSS is the stronger that voice becomes, however I do understand some might take the view of just chucking the thing totally and giving up/losing interest. It depends how invested you are in the club emotionally or other wise I suppose in where an individuals breaking point is. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Why would DGW wish to leave Clyde for Falkirk where is is admired and defended by many?

1. To play at a higher level - looking unlikely until 2023-24 and he will then be c 34 years of age.

2. To get a quieter life? Unlikely, as the debate above shows there are still lots of people with opinions on him, and a move would only re-ignite something that is relatively quiet from week to week.

3. For a noticeable increase in wages? Possible at Falkirk, but with the very good wage at Broadwood plus his other earnings, it would need be a sizeable amount for playing in League 1.

It would also mean that not only have Falkirk FC hired someone their fans have verbally abused regularly, and have slated Clyde and its fans for allowing him an opportunity, they are going to do so by paying him more money than we do. What price morals indeed!

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

Where do you draw the line regarding players with convictions? Leigh Griffiths recently had strong allegations pointed at him and has run ins with police in the past. 

Alan Lithgow is/was on the sex offenders register yet quietly goes about his footballing career. Is his previous demeanors acceptable?

Livingstons manager has done jail time for drugs offences yet is roundly accepted in Scottish football. 

BTW, I don't agree with signing Goodwillie. I just think plenty folk are jumping the gun way to quickly to preach their morals over somehting they may never even happen. 

I'll happily "preach my morals" all day regarding the raping of a woman. 

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

If you ignore the potential financial implications for a moment, do you not just think signing a rapist is a terrible idea?

I really hope you don’t. Leave that shite to clubs like Clyde.

Exactly.

If I was looking to hire someone, I wouldn't hire a convicted rapist. I don't care how good they would be at the job.

I have worked with people whose lives have been destroyed by rapists. The justice system is much too lenient. David Goodwillie should be in prison.

11 minutes ago, brokeville said:

In my opinion signing Goodwillie will threaten the existence of the club. His signing would impact massively on our ability to attract sponsors.

I'd expect if they were of a mind to sign him they would check with the major sponsors first to see if they had a view on it.  There might be one or two that pull out perhaps but the club isn't going to go down the shitter just because it signs goodwillie.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd expect if they were of a mind to sign him they would check with the major sponsors first to see if they had a view on it.  There might be one or two that pull out perhaps but the club isn't going to go down the shitter just because it signs goodwillie.

So where's the upside? This sounds like Brexit FFS!

I'll eat my hat if we sign him and maybe 1 or 2 others this window and we go up. The rest of the team is still rank and the strikers get zero service.

So, we'd lose 1 or 2 major sponsors at best, a load of loyal fans will simply stop supporting the club, we almost definitely still won't go up, and we'll have a rapist playing for us, a "community" club? Sounds good. 

Again, ignoring the morality issue, it would just be an awful, expensive signing

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Rugster said:

How do you go about signing up for these email updates or are they only for shareholders?

I think it will be a mixture of ST holders, former ST holders, people who have ordered FFCTV, hospitality and merchandise customers and sponsors database. 

Looking at the statement, and trying to be a bit objective, the “making unpopular decisions” could be interpreted as:

- not wanting to spend their way out of the league

- contract lengths (maybe return to 1 year deals, and see decent players that we may sign depart with little return for the club)

- not doing everything we fans want or expect

- selling / releasing favourite players (hang on, we don’t have any)

It’s a fairly generic statement, something I get every year from the company running the car park I use when they increase the fees.

However, this is something you put out after it’s clear you have decided not to sign such a polarizing figure. If we are signing a 32 year old striker, I’d rather we went for experience, instead of history!

Awaiting nervously, as this could be it for me and my continued support of Falkirk FC. I won’t support anyone else, so I’ll have the board to thank for any potential void in my life, and that’s something which will be very difficult to deal with at this time.

5 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Declan Gallacher destroyed a boys life by assaulting him with a baseball bat but was getting cheered on recently by full houses at Hampden. Unfortunately football has very little morals when it comes to players especially when they have value. Few players seem to have trouble finding clubs despite their previous offences.  Boy McGowan at Dundee has been found guilty of assaulting a police officer at least three times but still never got punted .  It's certainly not a sport that can be held up as an example of good moral values that's for sure. Far from it.

Guest Back Post Misses
2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

So where's the upside? This sounds like Brexit FFS!

I'll eat my hat if we sign him and maybe 1 or 2 others this window and we go up. The rest of the team is still rank and the strikers get zero service.

So, we'd lose 1 or 2 major sponsors at best, a load of loyal fans will simply stop supporting the club, we almost definitely still won't go up, and we'll have a rapist playing for us, a "community" club? Sounds good. 

Again, ignoring the morality issue, it would just be an awful, expensive signing

How many fans do you believe will turn their back on the club? 

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think it will be a mixture of ST holders, former ST holders, people who have ordered FFCTV, hospitality and merchandise customers and sponsors database. 

Strangely they sent it to my old email address from my MSN days as a wee guy, but not to my new email address which I used to buy my half season ticket.

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

How many fans do you believe will turn their back on the club? 

I genuinely would hope upwards of 500 regulars (most wouldn't have the spine, see it as a day out, people who believe he's not done much wrong etc. ..) That might be a pipe dream. But I would actively route for admin/liquidation if we signed him. The club would deserve it.