The Falkirk FC Thread

Personally, I don’t want to see the club spunking any more cash unless it’s on decent football players.
It really has to be used on getting core signings over the line.
Better one of these, than another 3 jobbers.
6 months, bonus incentivised, based on targets of play off/promotion. Then review come the Summer.

Fantastic news that Holt has gone and no need to replace him when we are languishing in the 3rd tier. Time to unite everything at the club and get it going in the right direction again to get us out of this league at least. Rome wasn't built in a day, but we may have just laid the foundations.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh I do think it can be a useful role in the right hands.

Fundamentally the quality of recruitment will determine our success- £50k a year is nothing compared to the money that we’ve spent signing and paying off dross.

Rice also has a good track record in identifying good young players who can then be sold on. Quite a few clubs in league 1 also have directors of football, so it’s not totally unknown at this level either.

Queen's park and who else?

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I backed the bod not him. They thankfully have been proven right and have managed to squeeze him out . I fully expected that to happen in time unlike others who didn't have the patience to wait a few weeks. Yes well done to the bod. Continuing to work through the mess left by deans even whilst getting a kicking from some about not having done everything within the first 5 mins of taking over.

I understood the board had to take scope off what was happening behind the scenes first but there was a narrative forming here that he would remain to which many of us couldn’t understand. 

Anyway let it be done now and move on. I think this must give everybody positivity for the new year and faith that the new board will make the correct calls. 

15 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d like to see Brian Rice appointed as director of football/head of recruitment.

We dont need one in our division. Just a waste of cash. That should be Rennie / Miller's remit with Swinney doing the CEO job of getting contracts drafted and in order for the benefit of the club....and of course signed by the player :)

15 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'll probably get red-dotted to oblivion for this, but I found him to be a nice guy. He was never anything other than pleasant, courteous and helpful in his dealings with me.  I watched him talking to staff dozens of times and he was the same with them. Having a quick snapshot of someone when they're under the spotlight doesn't necessarily give you a clear insight into their personality. 

None of which defends his record at FFC. His tenure saw us go from top of the league on his arrival to 21 points behind Cove on his departure and for that, as well as multiple other reasons, he had to go. 

When I had my meeting with Colin McFarlane which was pre the q&a I suggested the board should keep Holt out the way of the fans. He wasn’t liked and there was no way it was going to change after the q&a no matter what he said. He tried to crack jokes at the q&a which may have been a nerves thing but he totally misread the feelings of the audience.  The bottom line was his recruitment record was abysmal and for that he had to go.

Guest Ecosse83

Great news. Will also be signing up to the fans group later today when home from work. 

Ive got a gut feeling some better times are just around the corner now! 

Guest Back Post Misses
57 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You have to imagine that some of the potential candidates we are in discussions with now would have been initiated by Holt.
However at least we know that it’s almost certainly in Rennie’s hands now.
Slightly delayed Xmas present but fantastic news to start the year…

It was never anywhere else. Rennie and Miller were not talking that job without their destiny in their own hands. Thankfully this move by the club re-enforces that view. 
Down to them now and their skill and judgment. 

Interesting to re-read the Rawlins initial comments of,  "best board we have ever worked with" ...."Holt amazing at identifying the payers we want" ....."Sheerin is the man to take us forward". 

I honestly think they did not realise the extent of the mess we were in, the apathy of fans towards the club Directors and the displeasure in Deans et al (and Holt) until they arrived in Scotland and that's what made them step down from the BoD. I think the Q&A opened up their eyes to what was going on.  

Fingers crossed they now see what a half decent fans Board can do to get the supporters back onside and hopefully add to their investment (as they initially indicated) to get the team we all want to see on the park.  They are potentially a vital part of the 3 legged stool model and if they really have the best interests of the club at heart, they should be invested (pardon the pun) in the direction we are now moving.  All additional cash welcome :)