The Falkirk FC Thread

I’m going to assume he’ll play left side of a back 3. I think McCann has came onto a game and left wing back would probably suit him well

He’s a career left back though that’s played the odd game at centre back and like Bairnardo said we’ve got Dixon to play there. Considering all the other weaknesses in the squad and the need for genuine centre backs this is an absolutely bizarre signing.

Guest TedCrilly

What a bizarre signing. A LB/LCB would have been near the bottom of the priority list with McCann and Dixon in those positions. A RB/RCB would have made much more sense with Williamson’s injury problems and lack of cover in that area.
We are some fucking club. 

Edited by TedCrilly

What a bizarre signing. A LB/LCB would have near the bottom of the priority list with McCann and Dixon in those positions. A RB/RCB would have made much more sense with Williamson’s injury problems and lack of cover in that area.

Genuinely the last position we needed.

Guest Back Post Misses
3 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

What a bizarre signing. A LB/LCB would have near the bottom of the priority list with McCann and Dixon in those positions. A RB/RCB would have made much more sense with Williamson’s injury problems and lack of cover in that area.

Dixon needs an operation on his wrist. Maybe the reason? 

Added just saw on Facebook he has had his op. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Is he better than McKay and Hall, dare say we will get the answer soon when fans of his previous clubs give us the now customary “he is shite” update.

You won't get that from me. I always felt he was a really decent player. Holt was definitely a fan of him at some stage.

There's no doubting in my mind that this signing, coupled with Martin Rennie's comments post Clyde, looks like proof to me that Holt is doing your signing this window. 

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

This was in my head as I’m sure it was you that mentioned it on here before. So he can cover at LCB while Dixon is out and offer competition for LWB too

Guest TedCrilly
3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Chat at the game on Sunday was he’d be out for 2/3 weeks. As always, the club haven’t released any update or reason for his absence. 
I’d much prefer we signed a competent centre back than an ageing left back converting to this position. I’d have my doubts that both him and Dixon could play in the same team once they are both fit together.

Edited by TedCrilly

Don't know too much about the AT-S but the one thing he does have going for him, from what I can see, is height.

Agree I think he'll play left of a back three and doubt we'll see much more of Lemon this season.

Dixon - when fit - will probably go back to LB and McCann to be used further forward. 

Hopefully AT-S can organise a defence and help Hall and McKay regain some form.

Also agree with other posters that there are other, more pressing, areas of the squad to address but he's free and available so seems like an easy position to fill.

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

If you read my post again you will hopefully see I specifically said he cannot be judged at this point so no idea why you are telling me to get real.

I am merely pointing it out that due to him never having coached in Scotland before it is a gamble.......and as I said one I sincerely hope pays off.

I am well aware this is probably our worst ever squad of players in our history (thanks Gary) so he has a huge job ahead of him.

Something along the lines of when Ian McCall gutted Totten's last squad & completely turned us around is required. Definitely not possible in January but hopefully in the summer. Who knows maybe 3 or 4 signings next month can still get us to the play offs this season.     

Any appointment was always going to be a gamble but out of all the shouts I think we got the better, nothing against chipper but it would have been a bad call and not because of his off field issues. The rest were the usual suspects.  

Although in some of our shouts I see Killie are just as deluded in thinking they can get McInnes and a couple of other high profile names but are now looking at Hartley as their saviour.

Don't know too much about the AT-S but the one thing he does have going for him, from what I can see, is height.
Agree I think he'll play left of a back three and doubt we'll see much more of Lemon this season.
Dixon - when fit - will probably go back to LB and McCann to be used further forward. 
Hopefully AT-S can organise a defence and help Hall and McKay regain some form.
Also agree with other posters that there are other, more pressing, areas of the squad to address but he's free and available so seems like an easy position to fill.

They don’t have any form to gain man. They’re absolute dogshit.

The whole defence is awful. It needs addressing. If Rennie thinks this guy will help then that is his call. 

Or if Holt thinks so.

Considering it was Holt that signed him at Livingston there’s no danger this is a Martin Rennie signing.

If Rennie favours 3-5-2 where the wide play more as wide midfielders as opposed to wingbacks then I'd try McCann out there and get him to focus on attacking.  Defensively he is okay but he is always going to be the target with balls going over is head. Every time he has played well it has been when he is on the offensive and linking up with with central midfielders and attackers dropping in.

That leaves space for ATS at LCB and hopefully puts Dixon into CB which is where he'll naturally end up as he gets older.  Unfortunately that still leaves space for Hall or McKay on the right side of defence. 

Edited by latapythelegend

Quite bewildered as to how anyone thinking signing a defender is a bad thing!

McCann is a good wing back and a poor full back so reasonable to think he will be pushed further forward.

Lemon is no where near ready and probably never will be.

Dixon is obviously past his best but still useful to have in the team and I would think he will be playing alongside the new lad as part of a 3 man defence.

Obviously need someone new for the right side of the 3.

Williamson like McCann is a very decent wing back and if he stays injury free will be a big player for us.