The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If it were me I would have tipped him out on day one but that is looking from the outside not know any facts about the situation. 
If Holt is staying then his role has to be clearly defined. 
The way to clear it up however is to move him on. But that is my opinion and mine alone. 

Eh, naw.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If it were me I would have tipped him out on day one but that is looking from the outside not know any facts about the situation. 
The way to clear it up however is to move him on. But that is my opinion and mine alone. 

If Holt is staying on then the new board are just as disengaged from the fans as the previous incumbents.

Gary Holt was brought in as sporting director. For me, that means his remit is everything that happens on the park.

There’s different ways of approaching it but ultimately, the football side of the business is what the sporting director should be responsible and accountable for.

It’s hard to imagine the football side of the business performing much worse to be quite honest.

A lot of talk about his remit etc. If Holt is focussed on the development team, make him Head of Youth Development and distance him from first team affairs. If his focus is across the entire club then he needs to take responsibility for what we are seeing on the park.

18 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Gary Holt was brought in as sporting director. For me, that means his remit is everything that happens on the park.

There’s different ways of approaching it but ultimately, the football side of the business is what the sporting director should be responsible and accountable for.

It’s hard to imagine the football side of the business performing much worse to be quite honest.

A lot of talk about his remit etc. If Holt is focussed on the development team, make him Head of Youth Development and distance him from first team affairs. If his focus is across the entire club then he needs to take responsibility for what we are seeing on the park.

Exactly, in total agreement.  Just a bit of transparency  from the club

All good saying Rennie and before him Sheerin, have final say on signings it's that clown Holt that is scouting players for them to choose from,,, if that is all Rennie has to choose from in January does he stick or twist thinking they can't be any worse surely, and we all know how that ends up with Holt drawing up the shortlist!

33 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Yeah, this is what we need to know from the new board.

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

As one or two have already said, Rennie and Miller have their futures on the line. If anyone thinks that they will accept a player they don’t want from the Gary Holt school of scouting they must be not thinking straight. 

Rennie made it clear that he has the final say on signings in his first interview. 

If this is the case then can I ask what we are paying Gary Holt 50 grand to do?

Ian Fergus was very clear that Holt has nothing to do with the academy and you are suggesting he is not signing players.

Are we paying him to create a list of players that the manager may or may not want to sign and to do the photocopying of the contracts?

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Ian Fergus was very clear that Holt has nothing to do with the academy and you are suggesting he is not signing players.

Are we paying him to create a list of players that the manager may or may not want to sign and to do the photocopying of the contracts?

Aye, but he's got to find 15 players for each position before we can get somebody to sign for us, that's a lot of work. Give the man a break.

Guest Back Post Misses
8 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I am not suggesting anything other that I think Rennie and Miller won’t be relying on a third party to partly determine their future. Only my opinion of course. 
I don’t know what his full remit is, like most fans. 

Does anyone actually know if Holt takes £50k pa for this role?
It gets mentioned a lot on here but not sure whether that’s just idle speculation or fact.
I’m saying that being if it was £5k it would be £5k wasted….

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am not suggesting anything other that I think Rennie and Miller won’t be relying on a third party to partly determine their future. Only my opinion of course. 
I don’t know what his full remit is, like most fans. 

I think we have a fair idea what his remit is, there’s not exactly an endless list of possibilities. He’s not the manager, physio, analyst or groundsman. He doesn’t work in the shop or hospitality. He doesn’t operate the turnstiles, he’s not a steward and he’s not a player.

By process of elimination, he either runs the academy or is involved in player transfers. Unless I’m missing something very vital in the running of a club??

Fergus couldn’t have distanced himself from Holt any quicker and we now have people saying he won’t be involved in signings. He’s that bad that he’s basically made his own job redundant (Fergus doesn’t want him involved and the manager doesn’t want to sign his players). Surely his position is untenable 🤷🏼‍♂️

Watching the interview, there was a repeat of some quotes from the past ("we did it in training, just didn't execute today"). If the mechanism regarding funding for players is in place and that is what Coach Rennie refers to (rather than decisions have already been made on who we're hiring), then perhaps he'll still have some ability to identify/accept/deny.

Another thing familiar to me is the American positivity. Many times, we would have a new director/VP and you'd hear things like "you guys are doing great things, we can really use these ideas" or "we're looking forward to working with management". It usually resulted in:

- The director/VP not saying another word before leaving for another job/position

- The current management / infrastructure being reviewed and replaced

All in all, while it was an interview after a defeat against Clyde, it was clear, coherent and didn't have me clicking away after 30 seconds (as was the case with every manager we've had in recent years). Let's see what awaits us in terms of new players by the end of the week.

Edited by Taxi for De Massis

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The 3yr McKay contract is sacking offence alone.

Perhaps we have approached Holt to GTF already and he won't sign our usual NDA.

As for yesterday, take McKay out of our very much depleted squad and we might have got something other than a defeat. I'm not suggesting we have an amazing squad just McKay probably has cost us a goal every game he has played and of course some are not up to it. Rennie very much slated McKay in the interview which was much more refreshing than we need to get better, maybe we can't.

Rennie and Miller do have an important transfer window ahead and how to shape our team up going forward. I am not convinced we have the squad currently for 3-5-2. We are currently shoehorning McGuffie and Morrison as wingbacks, once our natural wingbacks are back we could then be shoehorning the mentioned Morrison and McGuffie into the 11, Morrison isn't a striker for me for starters.

Here is hoping Rennie and Miller have identified players that are a bit left field as our management appointment was and keep Holt away bar agreeing the contract

As for yesterday, take McKay out of our very much depleted squad and we might have got something other than a defeat. I'm not suggesting we have an amazing squad just McKay probably has cost us a goal every game he has played and of course some are not up to it. Rennie very much slated McKay in the interview which was much more refreshing than we need to get better, maybe we can't.
Rennie and Miller do have an important transfer window ahead and how to shape our team up going forward. I am not convinced we have the squad currently for 3-5-2. We are currently shoehorning McGuffie and Morrison as wingbacks, once our natural wingbacks are back we could then be shoehorning the mentioned Morrison and McGuffie into the 11, Morrison isn't a striker for me for starters.
Here is hoping Rennie and Miller have identified players that are a bit left field as our management appointment was and keep Holt away bar agreeing the contract

Maybe true, but he certainly isn’t a wide player, that’s for sure….

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Its all very well identifying players its persuading them to sign that will be the problem.

There is no promotion this season and our ambitions are no higher than avoiding the playoffs. If they are of the quality required there will be better deals elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Given the fact that McGuffie is utter shite then surely we just shoehorn him onto the bench. 

Not sure what we do with Morrison. I don’t think he’s a striker either but his delivery from wide is awful. At least through the middle he’d give us some kind of goal threat 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Can anyone say if the new BOD have picked a Chairman?

I rather get the impression that KJ is the ‘de facto’ one but I’d like to know who the successor to GD is.

I have no knowledge of who it is likely to be, but any of the new Board would in terms of credibility, be light years ahead of Deans.

If I had to pick one person from the current Board, then I would reckon that David White would best fit the bill in terms of age, temperament and respect. Given that he is one of the two “short term” FSS appointments, if he were to be elected as Chairman, that might raise a bit of complexity as he would have to seek re-election as an FSS Board member in Spring 22.

1 hour ago, steveffc said:

All good saying Rennie and before him Sheerin, have final say on signings it's that clown Holt that is scouting players for them to choose from,,, if that is all Rennie has to choose from in January does he stick or twist thinking they can't be any worse surely, and we all know how that ends up with Holt drawing up the shortlist!

In Peter Taylors book about working with Brian Clough the correct template was laid out on how to do it.

Clough lays out what he wants Peter Taylor gets a shortlist drawn up and they both work out the system to get the best out of the various options then they go for the one they want giving the example of Dave McKay.

Its simple the management team select the player they want convince him they want to come and for how long leaving the bean counters to do the cheque signing.

Jeffreys and Brown as far as I know did something similar.