The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

This has the potential of an Alessio, Caixinha or Maximo type of appointment from the recent past of other clubs who made out-the-box appointments.

Yes, I understand, but when you look at the list of usual suspects that were available and being touted I am glad that we are trying something different.

For every Allessio there is a Paulo Sergio, for every Caixinha there is a Dick Advocaat and for every Maximo there is a Wim Jansen, all of whom were seen as gambles if not out-of-the-box appointments at the time.

To paraphrase George Barnett, "the league's gone, TFS must stay open". IMHO we have no chance of promotion this season but under Rennie's stewardship I don't think that we will be candidates for relegation either. I am hoping that he does enough with what remains of this season to merit a 2 or 3 year deal and that he can concentrate on getting us out of this shite league next season.

9 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm in no way ITK on this, but I suspect the party was arranged months ago and had the approval of the previous manager before it was organised. IMO it's not an issue that folk want to arrange a night out at Christmas with their mates. I don't think there's any employment law in the UK that prevents staff doing what they want in their free time. (with obvious exceptions) 

They were perfectly entitled to go our for a bevvy. Just as you and I would be, as long as it didn't affect our performance the next day at work. 

But considering recent results it was extremely foolish for any of them to post about it on social media. Because it gives the impression that  they didn't care about results and weren't hurting as much as we are. The sensible thing would have been to keep schtum and enjoy themselves in private, but footballers and sensible don't always go together. 

I was coming on to post something similar.  You can’t be angry at them going on the piss right after them being bodied at home, I’ve seen some The Caley players in the pub after we’ve been beaten heavily in both seasons we’ve been relegated. They aren’t Falkirk fans your players, it’s just a job to them, and are entitled to blow off steam.

But yes, maybe be a bit more subtle and remember Falkirk fans can see your social media. 

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Glad to be proven wrong - I often am!

However, I can't share your or BPM's optimism. 

We're not a good bit better than anyone and we've huffed and puffed against a lot of those teams below us. 

This has the potential of an Alessio, Caixinha or Maximo type of appointment from the recent past of other clubs who made out-the-box appointments.

My topical analogy would be we're asking Santa to deliver a handful of presents with trainee Elves and most of his reindeer flea bitten and hobbled - Rudolfs nose not burning as bright as it did - as we know the whole Xmas night is beyond him!

From someone who has played in the States, still Has many contacts there abs with all respect a bit more knowledge about the game than either of us. 

59D25E7E-BF10-4A9C-979D-B5DE80B6DA7A.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Albertobotswana said:

The majority of the support are getting behind the idea of Rennie and It can't get any worse than it already is tbh.

It is unfortunate that he has inherited a very poor defence but further up the pitch, we do look a lot better with Nesbitt and Morrison being the obvious stand outs.

Let's see how he sets the team up, how the team responds and where we are at 4.45 on Saturday. 

At the end of the day we could have klopp coaching the team but if it's full of shit players with shit attitudes it won't matter a bloody jot.  We need to recruit better players and players with a bit of backbone and leadership or we will continue to plumb new depths.  That is the crux of the matter unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At the end of the day we could have klopp coaching the team but if it's full of shit players with shit attitudes it won't matter a bloody jot.  We need to recruit better players and players with a bit of backbone and leadership or we will continue to plumb new depths.  That is the crux of the matter unfortunately.

And the problem we have with that is Holts recruitment is piss poor

25 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

And the problem we have with that is Holts recruitment is piss poor

All of this ☝but compounded with Holt leaving soon too, I am told.

So our 'strategy' reverts back to a wing and a prayer.

Massive clusterf**k energy about the impending situation.

Edited by Blame Me
Emoji

11 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Really don’t see Holt leaving the club  compounding the recruitment problem.

Surely the first big step to remedying the problem.

How many loans can we have at the one time this season? Is it still 6?

Martin Rennie will do what every sensible coach would do in his position. Assess the squad with his staff, identify where he needs to strengthen and then start looking at who he can actually bring in to improve us.

You can only do so much in January as there won't be many free agents floating about so we'll most likely rely on loans to turn us around but as BPM has said it'll be the playoffs at best.

Be interesting to see if they bring in a proper sporting director when Holt is inevitably punted or whether Rennie will assume the role of finding players to recruit. Either way they don't have to do much to better the quality we've brought in via Holt. 

I'd imagine Dowds will be back in January until Rennie's had a look at him especially as we didn't let him play in the scottish cup for Arbroath.

Rennie's biggest challenge is he's going to have to try get a tune out of quite a few of our underperforming players this season as we'll only be able to get rid of some of them and bring in maybe 5/6 players dependant on the loan rules.

26 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Holt was never right for the role of recruiting players you need an ex scout in that position with years of knowledge or get lucky and have a Ross Wilson right on your doorstep.

A competent manager at this level should be able to recruit better than what Holt has produced so now it's up to Rennie to show what he's worth.

Imagine moaning about the man who oversaw the signings of Brad Mckay, Jaime Wilson & the resigning of Ben Hall leaving.

5 or 6 players good would make a massive difference to the squad tbf.

A couple of centre halfs and a couple on strikers and a ball winning midfielder (because LOL at Miller and Hetherington) are what we should be looking at. The goalkeepers, full backs and rest of the midfield should be an adequate base to add to

I suppose the main challenges are getting the quality in and finding someone to ship out the dross to. Even if it's only on loan in both aspects that would do 

3 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

5 or 6 players good would make a massive difference to the squad tbf.

A couple of centre halfs and a couple on strikers and a ball winning midfielder (because LOL at Miller and Hetherington) are what we should be looking at. The goalkeepers, full backs and rest of the midfield should be an adequate base to add to

I suppose the main challenges are getting the quality in and finding someone to ship out the dross to. Even if it's only on loan in both aspects that would do 

Spot on - spine of team to be addressed asap 

39 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Really don’t see Holt leaving the club  compounding the recruitment problem.

Surely the first big step to remedying the problem.

Holt has to go but he should have gone before Sheerin.

All hypothetical but based on the understanding of the role, Holt would have been working up until last week with Sheerin to identify players incoming and outgoing.

Let's assume that he was working on basis of Dowds making his move permanent and Keena potentially going to Raith. Those moves will have been spoken about with those clubs and now could be up-in-the-air whilst Rennie/Miller assess the squad - They may already have sanctioned these. Rennie now has -2 players. 

Bin Holt now with 2 weeks before the window and you have two choices: Use the data he's built up with Sheerin etc and proceed with those targets or ignore the club strategy and use Miller's local knowledge - Your now back to the Lex Miller/M&M approach, listening to Kenny Miller throw out guys he might want to work with and are available (Rangers loanees?). I doubt he has been doing the same scouting work as Holt since punditry is not the same as compiling reports and having conversations with clubs about potential targets. 

Plan B is perhaps Rennie has guys in mind but there are now various obstacles in getting them in that those Holt identified don't have (Covid rules, Brexit etc). You've again ditched the "master plan" and are back to square one of running the club in whichever way the wind is blowing!

Given those scenarios do you stick or twist?

52 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

If it’s true that Holt is leaving soon I think that will be a great encouragement for fan base, & also release more people to invest in club as I sense some are holding back until he has gone 

Imperative that Rennie has total autonomy to create the new culture at club & recruitment is integral to that 

Does anyone know if KM rumour has weight?

33 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

All hypothetical but based on the understanding of the role, Holt would have been working up until last week with Sheerin to identify players incoming and outgoing.

Let's assume that he was working on basis of Dowds making his move permanent and Keena potentially going to Raith. Those moves will have been spoken about with those clubs and now could be up-in-the-air whilst Rennie/Miller assess the squad - They may already have sanctioned these. Rennie now has -2 players. 

Bin Holt now with 2 weeks before the window and you have two choices: Use the data he's built up with Sheerin etc and proceed with those targets or ignore the club strategy and use Miller's local knowledge - Your now back to the Lex Miller/M&M approach, listening to Kenny Miller throw out guys he might want to work with and are available (Rangers loanees?). I doubt he has been doing the same scouting work as Holt since punditry is not the same as compiling reports and having conversations with clubs about potential targets. 

Plan B is perhaps Rennie has guys in mind but there are now various obstacles in getting them in that those Holt identified don't have (Covid rules, Brexit etc). You've again ditched the "master plan" and are back to square one of running the club in whichever way the wind is blowing!

Certainly wouldn’t stick with the abject failure of Holts recruitment efforts.

Twist, absolutely twist. Twist and fucking shout mate, we cannot accept a single player recommendation from Holt. He has a quantifiably abysmal record.

3 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

He isn't by any chance freelancing and advising Ferguson?

We told you Durnan & Sammon were pish so don't come on here trying to blame us for your shambles as well. We have enough of a mess on our hands thanks to Stevie Shithawk Hetherington.