The Falkirk FC Thread

We started well yesterday but once they scored then there's just no believe we can come back in that team, rather than roll up the sleeves for a battle they rolled over. We need a leader in that team someone who won't settle but fight and get everyone else in the team going as well. 2nd half yesterday was a disgrace. The new manager has a huge job on his hands and we quite simply cannot afford a bad transfer window in January 

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

Don't understand the wanting to punt Dixon at all tbh - he is the absolute least of our problems. We're worse without him.

Dixon came into hospitality after the game yesterday and said he needed an operation on his wrist.

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dowds is nothing special but he is definitely good enough to be in a squad challenging to win League 1 

Really impressing me just now 

You can't be 'nothing special' and 'really impressive' at the same time. He's average but he would have been a better option for us this season than Ompreon or Jaime Wilson that's for sure.

Edited by FFC 1876

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

You can't be 'nothing special' and 'really impressive' at the same time. He's average but he would have been a better option for us this season than Ompreon or Jaime Wilson that's for sure.

I mean in the way he plays he’s nothing special. He’s nothing fancy, direct, hardworking, quick, good at holding the ball up and he’s scored 3 for us now when he’s not started too often and made most of his appearances off the bench late in games. All in the box from corners. 

We started well yesterday but once they scored then there's just no believe we can come back in that team, rather than roll up the sleeves for a battle they rolled over. We need a leader in that team someone who won't settle but fight and get everyone else in the team going as well. 2nd half yesterday was a disgrace. The new manager has a huge job on his hands and we quite simply cannot afford a bad transfer window in January 
You remember McKinnon before the window, trying to organise Hartleys team into not conceding goals. It was really, really noticable that once a goal went in against us, the entire team considered us beaten. I mean, most weeks we were but I have never seen heads drop like that.

It was kinda like that yesterday.

That said, looking for a change whilst it was still Grainger was probably something beyond optimism.

If Martin Rennie wants a quick fix improvement though, he could do worse than some drills for when the keeper has ball in hand, because delaying for a wee while then giving it to Ben Hall who panics, allows forwards to close him down then fucks up whatever he tries isnt doing us any favours.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Or Michael Ruth....

Ruth gets it tight from us due to the fact he's Sheerin's loverboy but on the face of it he's a 19 year old with 4 goals in 12 games which isn't a horrible return for us considering how bad we are. Dowds has 3 in 14 for Arbroath who are fairing a lot better than us this year so make of that what you will.

Ruth gets it tight from us due to the fact he's Sheerin's loverboy but on the face of it he's a 19 year old with 4 goals in 12 games which isn't a horrible return for us considering how bad we are. Dowds has 3 in 14 for Arbroath who are fairing a lot better than us this year so make of that what you will.

I dont have the benefit of the eye test for comparison, but at least two of Ruth's goals have been impossible to miss with one of those being credited to him where it didnt look like he touched it.

He did score a really nice one against Dumbarton(?)

But as to what he brings to the team and to our attack, its really next to f**k all. Yer man there telling us Dowds is holding the ball up well for Arbroath against far better teams (added to a similar strike rate in front of goal)

That said, even what Dowds showed in a Falkirk jersey before being loaned out is enough for me to call him a better option than Ruth.

Biggest difference I can make is, Dowds is playing for a part-time team against better full time players,, not other way about, by all means I don't think Dowds will be our savour but he be better than the myth that is Keena,

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont have the benefit of the eye test for comparison, but at least two of Ruth's goals have been impossible to miss with one of those being credited to him where it didnt look like he touched it.

He did score a really nice one against Dumbarton(?)

But as to what he brings to the team and to our attack, its really next to f**k all. Yer man there telling us Dowds is holding the ball up well for Arbroath against far better teams (added to a similar strike rate in front of goal)

That said, even what Dowds showed in a Falkirk jersey before being loaned out is enough for me to call him a better option than Ruth.

It's not Ruth's fault that's he's been brought in as our main number 9 due to honking recruitment. He has something to offer coming off the bench but shouldn't be our starting striker every week. Scored a peach against Dumbarton and a peach against East Fife at home the volley from outside the box. Doesn't matter how he scored the other two only matters that he scored.

13 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's not Ruth's fault that's he's been brought in as our main number 9 due to honking recruitment. He has something to offer coming off the bench but shouldn't be our starting striker every week. Scored a peach against Dumbarton and a peach against East Fife at home the volley from outside the box. Doesn't matter how he scored the other two only matters that he scored.

Well aye, none of that is his fault and I feel a bit sorry for him as I have done for numerous players that have been asked to do way too much over the last few seasons. That doesnt mean his performances dont get judged in accordance with what we expect, or think we need, from our main striker though. 

Reading the official site match report (which when they appear, can be quite funny reading at times) and a sentence in it plus one bit of spelling summed up where we are rather well.

The second half started with Cove Rangers in complete control, Falkirk however did well to manage the onslaught.

Falkirk Bairnes

The only way is up (hopefully).

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well aye, none of that is his fault and I feel a bit sorry for him as I have done for numerous players that have been asked to do way too much over the last few seasons. That doesnt mean his performances dont get judged in accordance with what we expect, or think we need, from our main striker though. 

But somehow Traffic Cone Keena's don't.  

Just now, Proudtobeabairn said:

But somehow Traffic Cone Keena's don't.  

I think Keena is a better player than Ruth, but also thinks he needs someone decent alongside him. 

If you dont think Keena takes criticism though, I dont think you are reading the thread that closely. 

What we also need to remember is that if we manage to bring in 4 decent quality players that can also improve those playing round about them to a certain extent.  A good leader at the back I'm sure would get the best out of Dixon or lemon even if played beside them just like Ivo den bieman made Kevin Christie look decent.  Another player with dig and energy in the middle of the park will allow the more creative to do their jobs and then a striker that can lead the line and put the ball in the net will take the pressure off everyone and give a focal point for the likes of Morrison.  Leadership is required more than anything in the side. We can't keep having captain's that wouldn't inspire anyone to battle for 90 mins. Some like Mackay, hall etc wouldn't look good with van dijk playing alongside them but there's a few that I'm sure will look like better players in a better side.

That is very true, remember the change in Sammy when Stainrod came in. I suppose we do have a few who could maybe shine if they have a few quality additions in beside them. There are some however that I suspect wouldn’t look good even if they had Ronaldo and Messi in there beside them.

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

In the short term Miller may have some decent contacts so not adverse to him coming in as assistant.  Rennie's strength is not going to be in his Scottish football pals list.  

I’m genuinely not adverse to Miller giving us at least 60mins a game in this league.

18 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

That is very true, remember the change in Sammy when Stainrod came in. I suppose we do have a few who could maybe shine if they have a few quality additions in beside them. There are some however that I suspect wouldn’t look good even if they had Ronaldo and Messi in there beside them.

Unfortunately the players of the quality required you talk of if available are going to have more attractive options than Falkirk.

Guest FFC1965

We're reaching new lows every week.  Yesterdays performance was a disgrace, made worse by the fact that until their 1st goal we were the better team.  The strike was a belter but there was no closing down (there never is) and the defending for the 2nd in particular was appalling but that's pretty much what you get with McKay & Hall.  Both teams had settled for 0-2 by the time the 3rd gift came along.  I cant see anybody but Cove winning the league but they aren't any great shakes eg our 2019/2020 team would have won this league imho.    

Looking forward there appears to be a greater chance of us being involved in the relegation scrap than finishing 4th or higher.  Anybody at the club who thinks otherwsie needs to wake up.  Rennie is going to inherit another managers squad and will probably be saddled with the majority until at least the end of the season, there just isnt enough money to fund a full revamp in January and as in previous years we will be stuck with duds that wont move on from their juicy FFC contracts.   

Holt has to be removed from the recruitment process before any new players come in - Brad McKay is living proof of that.  Honestly I cant recall a poorer centre back at the club though Ben Hall runs him close - the majority of their defensive headers yesterday actually went backwards and acted as flick ons for Cove.  in midfield there is no bite and we are so easy to play against.

Hats off to The Patrons and FSS but there will be many like me who wont be putting an extra penny into the club until we see further significant change - chiefly Holt being shown the door along with his son.  

Of the current mob theres not many Id keep - I reckon a decent team could contain Mutch, Dixon, Williamson, McCann & Morrison but that leaves 6 spaces most of them in the spine of the team cos we have none.  Id also get Dowds back from Arbroath as its all hands on deck (unless they wanted to pay a fee for him that would assist our clearout  or offer us a player in return)

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Let’s be brutally honest here with this group:

Martin- Not good enough

Mutch- Average 

Williamson- Fine (when fit)

Dixon- Fine

Hall- Not good enough 

McKay- Not good enough 

Lemon- Not good enough (yet)

McCann- Fine

McDaid- Not good enough 

McGuffie- Not good enough 

Hetherington- Not good enough 

Telfer- Fine

Miller- Not good enough 

Krasniqi- Who knows 

Morrison- Fine

Keena- Meh

Ruth- Not good enough 

Nesbitt- Fine

Ross- Not good enough

Sammy- Not good enough 

Dowds- Meh not good enough 

Wilson- Not good enough 

Holt- Not good enough 

If that doesn’t make Holt’s position untenable I don’t know what will.

A good manager can change the above ratings, we have had a clueless manager who had a slight light shine on him at the start of the season when clubs are still bringing in players and gelling. The drop onwards has been massive, with him getting lucky getting points changing to a formation he would slate, surely that was a warning to us all. 

We need to sort out the defence is the first thing that needs to be addressed and a way to play with various formations, one standard but the ability to change to improve is key if required.

I'd even look at playing one of Morrison or Nesbitt (hasn't kicked a ball for weeks) or find a more suitable position/formation for Nesbitt as it's not happening for him.

The new manager hopefully can address the mess Sheerin has left also Holt but Sheerin is who he is taking over from, it won't happen overnight which seems to be the mood for a lot of our fans that it should.

Unfortunately the players of the quality required you talk of if available are going to have more attractive options than Falkirk.

You are probably right, I’m just hoping Rennie has some contacts or Miller if he comes as assistant that could unearth some unknown gems. If not I honestly fear we will be in a relegation fight. Holts recruitment has left us truly humped.