The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

I really hope the new manager lands on his feet and we see improvement quickly. 

Unfortunately, the appointment has left me underwhelmed. It has echoes Cathro's fairly forgettable outing at Hearts. 

This is a huge gamble as avoiding relegation to the bottom division is probably as likely as promotion to League 1 given the ineptitude of the squad. 

Fingers crossed it works out but we do appear to be going all in blind! 

I was thinking the exact same thing last night- seems a really bizarre gamble.

But then you think its only to the end of the season. If he's shite we punt him. If he's decent we keep him on. 

As long as we sign the right players in January we should stay in L1 regardless of the manager. Even the worst manager in our history beat Clyde and Dumbarton. 

It's a fresh face and a no lose gamble I'd say 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yeah, my last comment a minute ago might summarise my thoughts better than the initial one. He's not done well at all, but the way things are blamed solely on him is ridiculous in my opinion.

We've had among the largest playing budgets in each of the last few seasons and have ALWAYS underperformed that. From players, to coaches, to board members, to staff everyone that has come into club has failed to make an impact. There's been no positives. So why is Holt that much more undesirable than the others? That's where I believe people just have an issue with him being a bit of a tit, not his actual body of work. If anything Sheerin should be slaughtered far more for taking the squad and getting battered of Queen's Park. 

you make a fair point. the being a tit bit certainly doesn't help. when you are doing a terrible job the last thing you do is patronise and be condescending towards the people that pay your wages.

9 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A byname you earned due to your openly admitted fear of slagging off a woeful Falkirk team until our relegation was confirmed, as you were in the mire too.

Then you gave it big licks.

It was all very embarrassing for you.

He comes on this thread because he craves attention. Ignore him and he’ll go away to another teams thread.

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I wasn't initially trying to defend him, my last sentence went a bit off that track. He can be sacked for all I care, he's certainly not been a net positive in any way shape or form. But to pretend he's been the cause of our current situation or that the downfall sped up with him is simply insane. That cannot be argued in my opinion.

Our downfall started when we kept turning over our entire squad for 3 windows straight or when the academy closed, not at some random point in January when Holt came in and, as many of you seem to insist on, changed f**k all.

He didn't start our downfall but he's certainly has increased the freefall rapidly. His complete failure to sign any kind of goal scorer has hamstrung the squad at one end whilst his ludicrous decision to give Mackay a 3 year contract is going to cost us a fortune.  Our first season down here we had a squad good enough to win the league but not the manager to do it. Now after Holt's recruitment we have a squad that will be lucky to keep usin this league no matter who is in charge.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He comes on this thread because he craves attention. Ignore him and he’ll go away to another teams thread.

Yes, apologies for the unwanted posts. Not for calling him out in the first place though.

It's a shame, as he used to be good value on the BRALT, but has become a poor parody these days.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He didn't start our downfall but he's certainly has increased the freefall rapidly. His complete failure to sign any kind of goal scorer has hamstrung the squad at one end whilst his ludicrous decision to give Mackay a 3 year contract is going to cost us a fortune.  Our first season down here we had a squad good enough to win the league but not the manager to do it. Now after Holt's recruitment we have a squad that will be lucky to keep usin this league no matter who is in charge.

All that and he wasted a wage signing his son. A player who was never ever going to start a game for us.

I dont even care if its £100 a week. Disgusting. 

Inept SD x (Out of his depth coach) + howling squad x Worst Boardroom in Decades = Horror Show.

Mr Holt really does need to be heading for the exit door, and pronto. Martin Rennie  is going to need all the help he can get. He doesn’t need the hindrance and drag anchor that Holt represents. The cut needs to be clean and it needs to be soon.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, apologies for the unwanted posts. Not for calling him out in the first place though.

It's a shame, as he used to be good value on the BRALT, but has become a poor parody these days.

No need to apologise - he just got your back up but that’s what he’s trying to do.

Attentions seekers soon f**k off if they get no attention.

23 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Just a little tongue-in-cheek comment that unlike others here, I have no connection with Martin Rennie. Except that I was christened at the church where his Dad was minister and even that must've been before Rennie Snr's time.

I was christened there to and it was years before him as well. 

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's just semantics at this point, since I can't argue with your assessment, but I'd say he simply continued the downfall. I don't see us that much worse than last year and while that might be a bit out there, I think any manager worth his salt should take us into the playoffs.

Mutch, McCann, Dixon, ???, Williamson, Telfer, Hetherington (boo), McGuffie, Nesbitt, Morrison, Keena can play competent football in League 1 if there is any semblance of a tactical set-up, and the fact we have seen 0 of that is embarassing to our coaching staff. That Grainger pre-match interview makes my blood boil more than the squad itself.

Edited by Gollum

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Don't be so precious.  

Of course I'm coming on for a reaction, which some of you daft buggers provide.  There's just a bit of sport to be had when a relatively big club is in a state.

That's all.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It's just semantics at this point, since I can't argue with your assessment, but I'd say he simply continued the downfall. I don't see us that much worse than last year and while that might be a bit out there, I think any manager worth his salt should take us into the playoffs.

Mutch, McCann, Dixon, ???, Williamson, Telfer, Hetherington (boo), McGuffie, Nesbitt, Morrison, Keena can play competent football in League 1 if there is any semblance of a tactical set-up, and the fact we have seen 0 of that is embarassing to our coaching staff. That Grainger pre-match interview makes my blood boil more than the squad itself.

You've still yet to justify your 'neutral on the managers' gem....

I only watched the first 60 mins of that on Falkirk TV before going out but I have to say we are absolutely shite. We have to be patient with Rennie as if he can’t wheel and deal in the January window he has been left with a terrible squad of players. He would be working a miracle to keep this mob in League One. Holt should be chased out of the place and told never to darken our doors again. How they could sit at that q&a and claim recruitment has improved is beyond belief. We are rank fucking rotten.

I found watching that 90 minutes this afternoon an utterly depressing experience, on every level. Complete - and understandable - apathy amongst the support. A group of players simply going through the motions of fulfilling a fixture before a quick shower and off home. Not a single f**k given. Not a single shred of belief that we were remotely capable of taking anything from a home game against Cove Rangers - just the latest team to turn up at TFS and have the cigars lit well before half-time. To be so far away from even being competitive at this level, never mind looking to win the league and promotion - well, it's just disgraceful really. I'd use the word moribund to describe the whole club, but I'm not sure even that does it justice.

Good luck to Martin Rennie, like most, my initial reaction to his appointment is pretty positive, especially when set against the uninspiring alternatives. He's got some job ahead. We are at such a low point that I'd view us even looking like a vaguely competent full-time football team now and again as a big step forward. I trust this new regime is exploring every possible avenue to remove the influence and presence of Gary Holt from this football club at the earliest opportunity. If they want the buy-in of the support, they'll know it needs to be done.

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Mcguffie is crap. One performance every 15 games if you are lucky. Keena has had enough chances he's just not very good. Dixon looks like a season too many for him although playing beside utter dross like Hall and Mackay won't help. Hetherington is one of the worst players I've seen in many a year. Telfer disappears when it gets tough . We have absolutely no spine in the side and that's feck all to do with tactics. 

The only time I've seen us as bad  was when Holt himself was taking the side last season when we were equally as embarrassing. 

52 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How come Falkirk lose every week and never drop below 5th?

It does show its one of those leagues where the right appointment might still result in a saveable season 

Mainly because East Fife and Clyde thankfully are  even worse than us most weeks, despite the latter having one of the best strikers in the league he's surrounded by utter pish. 

That was awful. Just a soulless stadium with the supporters having had enough and being totally fed up. Thought we started ok but faded after the first goal. Second half was just awful. These players don’t give a shit and it’s clear as day. I stuck up for McKay a few weeks ago but he was bloody awful today as was Hall. Paul Watson should be the first singing in January since he’s available. I wish Martin Rennie all the very best because he’ll absolutely need it. Pumped by a team at home who were a wealthy version of Bo’ness United. Sickening.

1 hour ago, Benidorm said:

Scary to think the gap in resources between Falkirk and Arbroath and the actual difference in the quality of each team. Holt should never work again in football on the basis of that alone. 

There will be a difference but you’d be surprised there won’t be that big a difference