The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Albertobotswana said:

I have no idea what your trying to say but his father is Cliff Rennie who is/was the minister at Larbert Old Parish.

Just a little tongue-in-cheek comment that unlike others here, I have no connection with Martin Rennie. Except that I was christened at the church where his Dad was minister and even that must've been before Rennie Snr's time.

24 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Agreed. He loves a stat. I'd love to see the stats since he arrived. Win ratios etc. He's now outlasted miller & mccracken, sheerin and 2 very temporary spells for himself and grainger (in which about half a dozen games none were won I believe).

if I didn't know better its like he's been sent here to sabotage the club. agent Holt.

for me the pulling together of fans and club will never happen while he and his son still draw a wage from us. 

We can argue about any impact he's had, but we don't have to go over the top. He came in in January and we were well on our steep decline with very little positive outlook. Since Jan we've had 9 wins, 5 draws, 10 defeats. That's 1,33 points per game. Hartley (1.44), McKinnon (1.27) and Sheerin (1.22) are in the same range, although with Sheerin it's obviously a similar time frame. Miller had 1.8 for reference and most wanted the duo sacked.

We have been shite for years. His impact has been Fergus/youth team, summer window and the Sheerin/Rennie hirings. For me that's a positive on the youth team, neutral on the managers and poor for the transfers, with 4-5 good deals mixed in. For some it may be a worse review, but he's not the root cause for virtually anything that's happening. As nice and easy as it would be just to replace him, I'm not sure of the sense behind changing course for the 4th time in 4 years.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

We can argue about any impact he's had, but we don't have to go over the top. He came in in January and we were well on our steep decline with very little positive outlook. Since Jan we've had 9 wins, 5 draws, 10 defeats. That's 1,33 points per game. Hartley (1.44), McKinnon (1.27) and Sheerin (1.22) are in the same range, although with Sheerin it's obviously a similar time frame. Miller had 1.8 for reference and most wanted the duo sacked.

We have been shite for years. His impact has been Fergus/youth team, summer window and the Sheerin/Rennie hirings. For me that's a positive on the youth team, neutral on the managers and poor for the transfers, with 4-5 good deals mixed in. For some it may be a worse review, but he's not the root cause for virtually anything that's happening. As nice and easy as it would be just to replace him, I'm not sure of the sense behind changing course for the 4th time in 4 years.

He’s set up a couple of youth teams, hardly groundbreaking. But more importantly, how can you possibly say it’s neutral on the managers? Sheerin is one of the worst managers in the clubs history ffs.

That’s also forgetting the horrendous business we done in the January window. Bringing in young jobbers on loan from Dundee Utd and Rangers instead of players that would come in and make us better.

He’s done an abysmal job and deserves punted. That just cannot be argued.

Just now, Russ said:

That’s also forgetting the horrendous business we done in the January window. Bringing in young jobbers on loan from Dundee Utd and Rangers instead of players that would come in and make us better.

He’s done an abysmal job and deserves punted. That just cannot be argued.

Exactly. How the feck can anyone defend him apart from Gary.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

He’s set up a couple of youth teams, hardly groundbreaking. But more importantly, how can you possibly say it’s neutral on the managers? Sheerin is one of the worst managers in the clubs history ffs.

The football was as shite as before, but by no means massively worse. It was worth a try in my opinion and I thought the signing made sense at the time. He's now been replaced once it didn't work out, we'll see what the next man brings.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: "Shitebag"  What age are you man?

Come on - a little self respect for Christ's sake.

A byname you earned due to your openly admitted fear of slagging off a woeful Falkirk team until our relegation was confirmed, as you were in the mire too.

Then you gave it big licks.

It was all very embarrassing for you.

The football was as shite as before, but by no means massively worse. It was worth a try in my opinion and I thought the signing made sense at the time. He's now been replaced once it didn't work out, we'll see what the next man brings.

Not massively worse? Come on man. We got absolutely horsed 6-0 last week ffs.

Sheerin is undoubtedly the worst manager in our recent history. He’s Holts man, Holt signed a chunk of the current dreadful playing squad. His job is completely untenable.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How come Falkirk lose every week and never drop below 5th?

It does show its one of those leagues where the right appointment might still result in a saveable season 

Just saying that above. It's totally head scratching. 

We get beasted weekly but never budge from 5th.

I really hope the new manager lands on his feet and we see improvement quickly. 

Unfortunately, the appointment has left me underwhelmed. It has echoes Cathro's fairly forgettable outing at Hearts. 

This is a huge gamble as avoiding relegation to the bottom division is probably as likely as promotion to League 1 given the ineptitude of the squad. 

Fingers crossed it works out but we do appear to be going all in blind! 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly. How the feck can anyone defend him apart from Gary.

I wasn't initially trying to defend him, my last sentence went a bit off that track. He can be sacked for all I care, he's certainly not been a net positive in any way shape or form. But to pretend he's been the cause of our current situation or that the downfall sped up with him is simply insane. That cannot be argued in my opinion.

Our downfall started when we kept turning over our entire squad for 3 windows straight or when the academy closed, not at some random point in January when Holt came in and, as many of you seem to insist on, changed f**k all.

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

so since he arrived we lose more games than we win in the 3rd tier of scottish football despite having significantly the largest budget? 

I think you'll be hard pushed to find support on the contract negotiations front.

we are all entitled to our opinions though and I respect yours. I'm happy the development side of things is back up and running however someone other than Holt could also have done this as dof

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A byname you earned due to your openly admitted fear of slagging off a woeful Falkirk team until our relegation was confirmed, as you were in the mire too.

Then you gave it big licks.

It was all very embarrassing for you.

Not at all. An episode I recall very fondly.  

I thought it would all be a bit more fleeting than this, mind.

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I wasn't initially trying to defend him, my last sentence went a bit off that track. He can be sacked for all I care, he's certainly not been a net positive in any way shape or form. But to pretend he's been the cause of our current situation or that the downfall sped up with him is simply insane. That cannot be argued in my opinion.

Our downfall started when we kept turning over our entire squad for 3 windows straight or when the academy closed, not at some random point in January when Holt came in and, as many of you seem to insist on, changed f**k all.

I don't think anyone is arguing we were in a state before Holt arrived.  we needed a dof however who would turn things around not accelerate them downwards

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

so since he arrived we lose more games than we win in the 3rd tier of scottish football despite having significantly the largest budget? 

I think you'll be hard pushed to find support on the contract negotiations front.

we are all entitled to our opinions though and I respect yours. I'm happy the development side of things is back up and running however someone other than Holt could also have done this as dof

Yeah, my last comment a minute ago might summarise my thoughts better than the initial one. He's not done well at all, but the way things are blamed solely on him is ridiculous in my opinion.

We've had among the largest playing budgets in each of the last few seasons and have ALWAYS underperformed that. From players, to coaches, to board members, to staff everyone that has come into club has failed to make an impact. There's been no positives. So why is Holt that much more undesirable than the others? That's where I believe people just have an issue with him being a bit of a tit, not his actual body of work. If anything Sheerin should be slaughtered far more for taking the squad and getting battered of Queen's Park.