The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Exactly. There’s a poster on here who says he was pish at Hibs as though that helps support the idea of him not being interested. 

A failed Hibs manager isn’t likely to land a top job but he’s got a proven track record with Alloa and St.Mirren and would be a perfect fit for us. 

This isn’t like trying for Alex Ferguson. It is actually within the realms of possibility but would take a major effort to achieve. Why not go for it!?

As mentioned before Steve Clarke from WBA to Killie was a bigger drop down than Hibs to Falkirk. 

He is coming off two sackings and no longer regarded as the bright young thing of Scottish Football Management.

His greatest successes were rescuing St Mirren from following our path into the footballing wilderness and then getting them promoted, we would be a similar project and a great opportunity to rebuild his reputation.

Obviously his salary would be significantly reduced from his Hibs deal but that would probably be the case no matter where he ends up.

Still fully expect us to end up with Rice though.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

14 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

A failed Hibs manager isn’t likely to land a top job but he’s got a proven track record with Alloa and St.Mirren and would be a perfect fit for us. 

Probably not, but his stock has not fallen nearly low enough for him to even consider the option of moving to a mid-table League One club. If a Dundee or Ross County emptied their manager tomorrow, he would comfortably be in contention for that sort of vacancy. 

As long as the influence and presence of Gary Holt remains at this club, I'll be keeping expectations with regard to the quality of any new manager - sorry, Head Coach - to an absolute minimum. He represents a massive barrier to us moving forward on the park.

9 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Probably not, but his stock has not fallen nearly low enough for him to even consider the option of moving to a mid-table League One club. If a Dundee or Ross County emptied their manager tomorrow, he would comfortably be in contention for that sort of vacancy. 

As long as the influence and presence of Gary Holt remains at this club, I'll be keeping expectations with regard to the quality of any new manager - sorry, Head Coach - to an absolute minimum. He represents a massive barrier to us moving forward on the park.

No doubt he’d be in the running but it will be a harder task to get Dundee or Ross County achieving anything than gaining success with us. We are a decent sized club in a league that he’s had success in before as well as the one above.

He got his big move to Sunderland on the back of success with St.Mirren so why could he not get another big move if he achieves success with us? Yogi, Kenny Shiels, Danny Lennon and Tommy Wright didn’t get big moves from achieving  success with mid table Premiership clubs in Scotland. I don’t think Callum Davidson is going to get the move he deserves either despite his own achievements so again does he have more to gain from a Dundee or a Falkirk?

Obviously I’m trying to convince myself as much as others but I don’t think it’s that ridiculous a notion to suggest there may be ways in which we can convince him this is the correct move to get his career back on track. 

22 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

No doubt he’d be in the running but it will be a harder task to get Dundee or Ross County achieving anything than gaining success with us. We are a decent sized club in a league that he’s had success in before as well as the one above.

Would it? Compared to Falkirk, the definition of success at these clubs is very different sadly. Obviously, promotion is not an option for them. But at Dundee, say, success this season might be just keeping them in the Premier League, given it's their first season up. It's not a pipe dream for a club like that to believe they can look to establish themselves in the top-flight, aim to finish in the top-six, qualify for Europe, win a cup. St Johnstone are the blueprint. We're a hundred million miles away from that at the moment.

It's about levels really. Has his reputation fallen from three or four years ago when he had substantial English clubs like Ipswich Town and Sunderland knocking on his door? Undoubtedly yes. Has it fallen to anything close to a level where he'd seriously consider a Scottish League One club for his next job? Absolutely not.

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Would it? Compared to Falkirk, the definition of success at these clubs is very different sadly. Obviously, promotion is not an option for them. But at Dundee, say, success this season might be just keeping them in the Premier League, given it's their first season up. It's not a pipe dream for a club like that to believe they can look to establish themselves in the top-flight, aim to finish in the top-six, qualify for Europe, win a cup. St Johnstone are the blueprint. We're a hundred million miles away from that at the moment.

It's about levels really. Has his reputation fallen from three or four years ago when he had substantial English clubs like Ipswich Town and Sunderland knocking on his door? Undoubtedly yes. Has it fallen to anything close to a level where he'd seriously consider a Scottish League One club for his next job? Absolutely not.

I don’t disagree on what you call success for these clubs but the point I’m trying to make is that such success often doesn’t transpire in to decent moves.

Just off the top of my head but it appears managers in the recent past have went on to better things from being successful in the 2nd tier than the Premiership. 

Alex Neil to Norwich, McInnes to Bristol City, Owen Coyle to Burnley, Jack Ross to Sunderland and Alan Stubbs to Rotherham to name a few. 

I understand there are more plausible arguments for him not to make the job but the club should be presenting him with as many reasons as they can as to why he should join. 

is it too much to just try?

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

He is coming off two sackings and no longer regarded as the bright young thing of Scottish Football Management.

His greatest successes were rescuing St Mirren from following our path into the footballing wilderness and then getting them promoted, we would be a similar project and a great opportunity to rebuild his reputation.

Obviously his salary would be significantly reduced from his Hibs deal but that would probably be the case no matter where he ends up.

His Sacking at Sunderland came off the back of them failing to get promoted and he took them to a cup final,  look at the state of Sunderland they are as much of a basket case as we are plus their support is as demanding.  They sacked Ross and look where their following season ended up same as ours mid table of the 3rd tier.

Using the Fergie example as well when St Mirren sacked Fergie they said he would never be a football manager and wrote off his credentials and look how that panned out.

Any hiring no matter who it is is going to be a mixed bag and no guarantee, because they have been sacked elsewhere doesnt mean we should write them off apart from the usual managerial merry go rounds (which is pretty depressing) we normally have JR is not one of them.

Guest Back Post Misses
3 hours ago, Van_damage said:

It would be preposterous to not try our best to try lure him to the club.. 

All about opinions - but he is miles out of our price bracket - even further than someone like Derek McIness. By all means ask but it is never going to happen.  

Guest Back Post Misses
3 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Exactly. There’s a poster on here who says he was pish at Hibs as though that helps support the idea of him not being interested. 

This isn’t like trying for Alex Ferguson. It is actually within the realms of possibility but would take a major effort to achieve. Why not go for it!?

As mentioned before Steve Clarke from WBA to Killie was a bigger drop down than Hibs to Falkirk. 

A perfect fit that would cost half our current playing budget probably. 

Guest Back Post Misses
3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

He will be on his far salary until 2024 or if he takes another job. McIness will be the same. It is not only the huge drop in salary to come to Falkirk it is giving up two years of his Hibs salary too. By all means ask but he will be miles out of our price bracket IMO.

I've always been one to say "never go back" or "never bring back" people who have been here before; we are more likely to get a Rory Loy type of "second coming" than we are to get a Crunchie sort of return. However, as Jack Ross seems to be more and more out of our reach and all the names on the various betting lists fill me with dread, I just wonder if we should maybe approach a previous manager of ours who is currently employed? I am thinking of Ian McCall. 

He has a proven track record, is now an experienced old head (something that we desperately need at the moment) and he has some degree of affection for the Bairns. Maybe, just maybe, he feels that he owes us something after upping sticks and taking the Dundee United job?

If you don't ask, you don't get.

18 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I've always been one to say "never go back" or "never bring back" people who have been here before; we are more likely to get a Rory Loy type of "second coming" than we are to get a Crunchie sort of return. However, as Jack Ross seems to be more and more out of our reach and all the names on the various betting lists fill me with dread, I just wonder if we should maybe approach a previous manager of ours who is currently employed? I am thinking of Ian McCall. 

He has a proven track record, is now an experienced old head (something that we desperately need at the moment) and he has some degree of affection for the Bairns. Maybe, just maybe, he feels that he owes us something after upping sticks and taking the Dundee United job?

If you don't ask, you don't get.

He wouldn’t leave Ayr to join us but happily left them to join Partick. There is no way he would leave Partick to come to us 

13 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

Would anyone take Ian murray? Would obviously involve a fee but doing a decent job at airdrie.

Wonder when we’ll have our new manager in place - surely soon.

Think a few folk have said aye, think even a few Airdrie supporters have said take him. This article pins where its going wrong:

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2021/12/9/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-sacked-falkirk-boss-sheerin

Although these options look desirable for Falkirk fans on paper, it may be difficult to lure a decent manager to the side, as sporting director Gary Holt has a reputation of being very hands on when it comes to recruitment, something many managers may find intrusive.

2 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Did not expect the talk of Jack Ross being a potential appointment to last near 16 hours and a couple of pages to be honest.

I think most of us are realistic to know better but the same time you dont ask you dont get however unlikely it is.

No one ever thought we would see players the likes of Stainrod, Mo Johnston and Chris Waddle in a Falkirk top but it happened.

8 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Is he a failed hibs manager? Who was the last Hibs manager to take them to a third place finish and two cup finals? They've been on a poor run of late but  it seems very knee jerk to me to punt him a week before a cup final a la spurs and mourinho.  

Allow him to work without a contract to begin with so he can move on if a much bigger club comes in for him.  Bit of a gamble but worth taking considering the other options out there.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

...as sporting director Gary Holt has a reputation of being very hands on when it comes to recruitment...

That's presented as if that's *not* part of his role and shows the writer doesn't understand what the remit of "Sporting Director" held by Holt does.

I'd be happy for Holt to go but he's been maligned in all quarters based on hearsay and no actual evidence of interfering.

As stated at the Q&A Sheerin had some involvement prior to his appointment and Holt signed some to bolster a squad at a time when we couldn't afford to hesitate in the summer market.