The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I would imagine that Ross would have been on c£150000 at Hibs. Pure conjecture on my part of course.

It'll have been more than that.

He'll probably keep getting paid it until he gets a new job too.

This thread never disappoints. Folk saying they'll back the new board if they ask Ross to take the job is proper "monorail" vibes. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This thread never disappoints. Folk saying they'll back the new board if they ask Ross to take the job is proper "monorail" vibes. 

Some times you just have to be a necky bassa and chance these things as much a longshot as it is if you dont ask then you'll never know even if we do have a better chance of a lottery win.  Everyone knows that its a bloody far fetched shot, might as well ask the worst he can say is no.

While I still think it's not that likely, there are a few reasons to think that the Falkirk job might be the right one for Jack Ross.

1) He's been punted from his last 2 jobs at Sunderland and Hibs.  Whether he likes it or not, that probably means at best he's going to be looking at lower end League 1 in England or lower end SPL in Scotland.  That's at best.  I really can't see any Championship team in England as a realistic next stop for him after 2 'failures' in a row.

2) It's always best to take over a club when they're at their lowest point.  Never underestimate the power of mean reversion in life.  Falkirk are absolutely on their honkers at the moment.  In all likelihood, we're really not going to get that much lower than we are now.  Christ, even with this mob on the pitch we're still mid-table somehow.  Any semi-competent manager worth his salt should be able to take this club back into the Championship.  A fully competent one should be able to have the club challenging for promotion to the SPL within a few years.  

3) If point 2 works out as planned, then Jack Ross' career is back on track.  And he's cemented his place as a home-town hero.

All this is conditional on our new board having things sorted out the off-pitch nonsense and being able to convince any potential candidate that truly is the case.  But bizarre as it sounds (and believe me, what I'm about to write sounds just as mental to me) the Falkirk job really should be seen as one of the most attractive in Scottish football. You've got a club with all the infrastructure in-place and an insanely loyal fanbase - all you need to do to be a hero is not be a total diddy.  The upside is tremendous.  This is most definitely not the case of trying to follow Sir Alex at Man Utd!  Oh and make sure Gary Holt being punted is a condition of your joining.

*edit - had us punting an ex-Norwich player

Edited by joozy

While I still think it's not that likely, there are a few reasons to think that the Falkirk job might be the right one for Jack Ross.
1) He's been punted from his last 2 jobs at Sunderland and Hibs.  Whether he likes it or not, that probably means at best he's going to be looking at lower end League 1 in England or lower end SPL in Scotland.  That's at best.  I really can't see any Championship team in England as a realistic next stop for him after 2 'failures' in a row.
2) It's always best to take over a club when they're at their lowest point.  Never underestimate the power of mean reversion in life.  Falkirk are absolutely on their honkers at the moment.  In all likelihood, we're really not going to get that much lower than we are now.  Christ, even with this mob on the pitch we're still mid-table somehow.  Any semi-competent manager worth his salt should be able to take this club back into the Championship.  A fully competent one should be able to have the club challenging for promotion to the SPL within a few years.  
3) If point 2 works out as planned, then Jack Ross' career is back on track.  And he's cemented his place as a home-town hero.
All this is conditional on our new board having things sorted out the off-pitch nonsense and being able to convince any potential candidate that truly is the case.  But bizarre as it sounds (and believe me, what I'm about to write sounds just as mental to me) the Falkirk job really should be seen as one of the most attractive in Scottish football. You've got a club with all the infrastructure in-place and an insanely loyal fanbase - all you need to do to be a hero is not be a total diddy.  The upside is tremendous.  This is most definitely not the case of trying to follow Sir Alex at Man Utd!  Oh and make sure Grant Holt being punted is a condition of your joining.
Quality [emoji23]

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your desperation to spin fairly idle chit chat on a football forum into something different never fails. 

Fully expect to see you across multiple threads this afternoon giving it "Go and look at the Falkirk thread they think Jack Ross is joining them hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!"

Not everything is what you want it to be m8.

Hi, I am a journalist studying at City of Glasgow College and have done a piece on potential candidates for the next Falkirk manager. 

Thought I’d pop it on here incase you would be interested in a wee read. 
Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks [emoji846]
https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2021/12/9/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-sacked-falkirk-boss-sheerin 

Not sure most of our support would be as keen on Hopkin as you appear to suggest but good summary anyway….

54 minutes ago, MatthewM02 said:

Hi, I am a journalist studying at City of Glasgow College and have done a piece on potential candidates for the next Falkirk manager. 

Thanks 🙂

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2021/12/9/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-sacked-falkirk-boss-sheerin 

You missed Paul Sheerin's name from the very first line of the article, and seemingly start new paragraphs halfway

through sentences, like this.

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Not sure most of our support would be as keen on Hopkin as you appear to suggest but good summary anyway….

Its still better than the names that came up on Not the Old Firm Site, they said we should look at Gary Holt

Gary Holt

Stranger things have happened.

It would be a VERY unpopular appointment but Holt does have a decent reputation as a manager and his arrival at Falkirk as sporting director came as something of a surprise.

The saying ‘if you need something done right, do it yourself’ springs to mind although some would argue that Holt has got little right in his current role so far.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/five-managers-who-could-take-charge-at-struggling-falkirk/

the other options werent much better right enough.

Edited by AL-FFC

1 hour ago, MatthewM02 said:

Thanks 🙂

Looked a good summary to me. 

One issue though - we have a weird structure at the moment where whoever the head coach is reports to Gary Holt who as Sporting Director will be dealing with the transfers. A big chunk of the fan disgruntlement here is that any manager of substance wouldn't want to work under those conditions, and that Gary Holt is the one responsible for our very poor recruitment in the summer. Might be worth adding in.