The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The YD quality is being massively over stated how good it is IMO. We’re are playing at a level below professional standard. 

I am not saying there maybe one or two nuggets in there but it certainly isn’t anything like the level it was before the Academy closure. 

I would like to see the club being honest about this. 

From my understanding they had to start at the very bottom and work up as they didn't initially have the staff or player numbers to begin at a higher level. I believe they plan to be playing a grade up next year. 

It is below professional standard, but from the games I'm watching they're scooshing it. Which suggests they have the potential to go higher. 

I think it's a given that they won't be near FVFA standard yet but at least they've made a promising start. At the moment I think that's all we can ask for.

As for honesty, I'm not sure how they're being dishonest. Every game they've played that I know of has been reported on. For example they didn't try to hide the 6-0 gubbing from Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

The fibres are so flat on the pitch now that even when watered it is slow. Its definitely needing replaced now.

Montrose and Raith didn't find problems with it.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres no way people are saying that given a choice to sack Sheerin but only if it meant getting Brian Rice, they wouldnt do it?

Surely?

Brian Rice has managed professional football teams. We have a manager who quite literally watches the same thing happen every week and goes out again with the same system, same players, same shite. He is incapable of doing..... Anything.

I cant believe what im reading if folk wouldnt snap your arm off to get Rice in now. If Sheerin gets the season, we are reliant on others being worse to prevent relegation.

Brian Rice is a ticking bomb waiting to go off for me, that's enough for me to say no thanks as I did when the rumours over him pre season.

I can't believe there isn't uproar over our so called football managers opening words in the interview post Raith.

"We must get better, maybe we can't"

We need this kindergarten manager out like yesterday, the whole interview was an embarrassment to the club.

I know nobody us advocating do nothing here. I know most if not all want Homt and Sheerin gone, but I personally dont feel like the gravity of the issue is being captured here if folk are willing to say no to someone like Rice. Hes not perfect. Maybe he wouldnt take.it on till the end of the season, but its been 2 years and counting since we had anyone as manager who had any recent, relevant managerial experience. The damage it is doing is gathering up, the rolling stone is getting heavier. And for me, if something isnt done to arrest the decline very soon we are going to be in a very bad place.

If Brian Rice can form a coherent attacking strategy, and convince these players of the need to try and win possession back, then we are looking at a team unrecognisable from what we currently have.

Rice of course is the man who gets talked about, there must be other guys ouf of work currently.

After the last few weeks, I think there are an increasing number of teams in this league who are a nap to beat us. The tactics ansd line up have been shite for ages, the apllication and attitude of the players is now coming down to meet them.

48 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Given Holt’s hands on approach to the youth team I’d be just amazed if he didn’t have anything to do with the 1st team. 

858708AD-4735-4347-967D-4E2D3166ADED.png

I think that was the weekend one of the teams were playing in Newcastle so Fergus couldn't have took both games.

Sheerin showed promise when he came in and compared to M&M actually had us playing some decent football but the recruitment yet again has been absolutely shocking. Coupled with the fact Sheerin's refused to switch things up on the tactics front teams have sussed us out and nullified us easily.

Ben Hall, Brad Mckay, Hetherington, Mcguffie. Wilson, Ompreon all are nowhere near good enough. I'd rather see Ben Weekes get a chance than the invisible Mcguffie act week in week out. 

The last few interviews from Sheerin unfortunately show he's not got a clue how he's going to fix things and he looks totally scunnert. Two massive 6 pointers coming up and I feel that'll be the end of Sheerin.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Rice of course is the man who gets talked about, there must be other guys ouf of work currently.

In terms of the out-of-work Scottish managerial merry-go-round - which, let's face it, is where we will probably be limited to looking - it's extremely slim pickings at the moment. The likes of Grant, Hopkin, Kettlewell, Rice. None of them remotely appetising options who, in an ideal world you would not even be considering. However, our current circumstances are about as far removed from ideal as it's possible to be. Things are now so bad, so flat, so low, that, at this stage in the season, we'd probably not be looking much further than offering, say a Rice or a Kettlewell a contract going only until the end of the season in the belief that even they will be able to get a hell lot more out of the existing squad and give us a chance of making the top-four, which we are absolutely not doing under the present incumbent.

The imminent boardroom changes provide at least some hope that we are in the death throes of Sheerin's time at the helm. We have to be. I did not think we would ever appoint someone even more uncomfortable in, and less suited to, the managerial role than Eddie May. But here we are. Like Solskjaer, you suspect it will be a relief when the inevitable happens. The next 2 games have disaster written all over them - Cove, in particular, we could all write the script for - and I'd be amazed if he lasted beyond that. 

If Sheerin does get the bullet we'll have sacked a manager during the season five years in a row (Houston just a few games into 2017/18, Hartley almost exactly a year later and McKinnon almost exactly a year after that, M&M with a few games remaining in 2020/21 and now possibly Sheerin in the early-to-mid portion of this season)

That must be some kind of Scottish football record.

18 minutes ago, AGPar said:

In terms of the out-of-work Scottish managerial merry-go-round - which, let's face it, is where we will probably be limited to looking - it's extremely slim pickings at the moment. The likes of Grant, Hopkin, Kettlewell, Rice. None of them remotely appetising options who, in an ideal world you would not even be considering. However, our current circumstances are about as far removed from ideal as it's possible to be. Things are now so bad, so flat, so low, that, at this stage in the season, we'd probably not be looking much further than offering, say a Rice or a Kettlewell a contract going only until the end of the season in the belief that even they will be able to get a hell lot more out of the existing squad and give us a chance of making the top-four, which we are absolutely not doing under the present incumbent.

The imminent boardroom changes provide at least some hope that we are in the death throes of Sheerin's time at the helm. We have to be. I did not think we would ever appoint someone even more uncomfortable in, and less suited to, the managerial role than Eddie May. But here we are. Like Solskjaer, you suspect it will be a relief when the inevitable happens. The next 2 games have disaster written all over them - Cove, in particular, we could all write the script for - and I'd be amazed if he lasted beyond that. 

Yes. My own point put better than I was managing. Any replacement is a gamble, it was ever thus, but its a gamble that absolutely HAS to be taken as the do nothing scenario is currently playing out and it shows us getting worse and worse, week by week. 

It doesnt take much more than a basic understanding of how league football works to see how that ends up.....

Sheerin has shown us he wont or cant change the system by setting up the same way failure after failure. 

He has shown us he cant get the players to buy into it, because we are seeing effort and application diminish week after week, and people like Aidan Nesbitt are going round the houses to say pretty much that.

So theres no mystery left about how Sheerin is going to carry to coming weeks and months. Its all there in front of us, in glorious detail. 

How anyone thinks Rice can somehow be WORSE than getting effortlessly bodied by any team with a pulse, I have genuinely no idea. We are a mid table League 1 team on a downward trajectory. Expectations ought to be realigned somewhat. Brian Rice would be getting on towards a bit of a coup for this broken mess of a football club in its current state. 

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

From my understanding they had to start at the very bottom and work up as they didn't initially have the staff or player numbers to begin at a higher level. I believe they plan to be playing a grade up next year. 

It is below professional standard, but from the games I'm watching they're scooshing it. Which suggests they have the potential to go higher. 

I think it's a given that they won't be near FVFA standard yet but at least they've made a promising start. At the moment I think that's all we can ask for.

As for honesty, I'm not sure how they're being dishonest. Every game they've played that I know of has been reported on. For example they didn't try to hide the 6-0 gubbing from Aberdeen. 

As an outsider it comes across that there are players ready to step into the first team. You and I know that is not the case.  
we absolutely had to start somewhere but let’s not kid the troops on 

Just watched the highlights back there and can’t believe I forgot the absolutely shitebaggery from Ruth from the chance in the 52nd minute that Hetherington put in but was already disallowed. Just watch him. Morrison heads it up in the air then Ruth takes a step towards the ball sees Liam Dick there absolutely shites himself takes a step back then shoves Dick in the back to give away a foul. That’s the most I’ve seen a striker shite himself in the box since Dennon Lewis. He really is absolutely fucking shite.

I was reading the programme from yesterday's game and there's a Falkirk team photo from 1998 in it.

Even as a Rovers fan, twenty plus years later, I can pick out and relate to more players in the photo than the current Falkirk squad.

I was fairly confident we'd win at 11v11, but after the (deserved) sending off, I thought we might be in for a long afternoon. However, there seemed to be no spark (Morrison aside) from Falkirk, and absolutely no leadership - no one willing or able to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Compare that to guys like McAllister, Hagen, Crabbe, Ward... I could go on, but the decline is marked and even that 1998 team was a pale shadow of a few years earlier - Silky, McGivern, Stainrod, Yogi, Cadette etc.

A couple of years ago,  in conjunction with my late father, I was going to become a Patron in the BTB initiative that didn’t happen. The current Patron “entry level” is now above what we were previously going to pledge. Circumstances change, funds have been redistributed, however I’m still going to make a contribution to the current initiatives. I’ve joined BFL, paid a lump sum to FSS and I’m going to buy some shares for myself ultimately family direct.

I wish all involved in these initiatives the best of luck and hope we start going forward from where we are now.

Two points that grate on me for those concerned going forward. Ditch “ The Falkirk Family” claptrap,  stop referring to this, we are currently the most dysfunctional family in the country.

“ Get the club back where we belong at the top table of Scottish Football”

Yes very admirable aim, but let’s stop thinking we have a right to be there. Yes it’s where we would like to be and remain in the future, but talk of “where we belong” are currently well misplaced. You firstly have to accept where we are before dreaming of something that could now be years away.

Good luck again to all involved, one way or another. Coyb. 

Edited by NUMBER 7

Watching that post-match interview from Sheerin shows he doesn't actually believe he's the right man for the job now. We need to get rid of Holt and Sheerin and that's us finally cleared out all the dross. I do feel for Sheerin because he's a good guy, but he knows he's not getting a tune out of the players. 

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

As an outsider it comes across that there are players ready to step into the first team. You and I know that is not the case.  
we absolutely had to start somewhere but let’s not kid the troops on 

No arguement from me about the first team. The best players in the two squads are IMO the fifteen year olds so they're a couple of years away yet. Given the overall lack of game time that Lemon, Weekes & Williamson have had I'd be surprised if any of the current youths got a pro contract until at least the summer, if not later.   

For me Mackenzie Lemon has looked very promising in the game time he’s had.
By no means the finished article but I can’t understand why he’s not been given more opportunity when our other options at centre half are very poor.
Same reason as Krasniqi presumably, which exists only in Sheerins head

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yes. My own point put better than I was managing. Any replacement is a gamble, it was ever thus, but its a gamble that absolutely HAS to be taken as the do nothing scenario is currently playing out and it shows us getting worse and worse, week by week. 

It doesnt take much more than a basic understanding of how league football works to see how that ends up.....

Sheerin has shown us he wont or cant change the system by setting up the same way failure after failure. 

He has shown us he cant get the players to buy into it, because we are seeing effort and application diminish week after week, and people like Aidan Nesbitt are going round the houses to say pretty much that.

So theres no mystery left about how Sheerin is going to carry to coming weeks and months. Its all there in front of us, in glorious detail. 

How anyone thinks Rice can somehow be WORSE than getting effortlessly bodied by any team with a pulse, I have genuinely no idea. We are a mid table League 1 team on a downward trajectory. Expectations ought to be realigned somewhat. Brian Rice would be getting on towards a bit of a coup for this broken mess of a football club in its current state. 

The thing is it really shouldn't be that big a gamble at all for us. We're looking for a manager that can win the league with the biggest side by a mile in the league, the one with comfortably the biggest budget and facilities. He doesn't need to be an over achiever at this stage he just needs to meet the expectations the clubs size and finances produce. It should be a lot harder for the other 9 teams to find a manager to win them the league than us FFS.  Our boy doesn't have to do a ranieri with Leicester.  It's beyond belief that we can't find someone competent to win us the league given all the advantages they start off.