The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, tirso said:

...  I've watched the Q&A and make my honest assessment and would rather say what i think than just agree with groupthink on here.  ...

Now that the dust has settled and I've managed to watch the Q&A in it's entirety a few times I'll put down my thoughts . Apologies it's a long one -

Setup

Easy to say it in hindsight but too many MC's. FTV Lewis, Dave Mac and GD. Good delaying tactic to introduce the table when it was only necessary for the less well known members. The chair (DM) in overall charge of the running should have set out the house rules, format and time keeping off the bat but as it was it became very charged and disorganised.

Opening Statements

Apparent that GD and GC in particular misread the room (and wider support's feelings) and began on the wrong tack. Too much levity from GD and GC straight on the defensive with a straw man argument about the fans responsibilities. At that point the meeting descended into a rabble and set the tone for the evening.
Admission that GC was drawn short straw also gave impression that GD was hiding rather than truer statement that we've heard from him more than others and the new BOD is a collective.

TFS Atmosphere

GD attempt to refocus the meeting seems to have been the point where he muddled young fans/players and was confusing. My take is he meant why would parents want to bring their kids to watch Falkirk with the present atmosphere and he may be arguing some players might not want to come and be subjected to it.

Can only assume fan "behaviours" was the incident with PS at the end of East Fife and any personal abuse.

Questions

As mentioned, 1st question was well researched stats but was subjective. Tend to agree with GD to an extent that it was a statement which ended on a question. However, GD calling it out antagonised the room when he should have moved onto answering why he thinks he is the correct person to lead the club through this period.

GD speaking style appears confrontational (see opening statements)

2nd (online) question was meant to be "hard hitting" but fluffed it's punch for me - Gave GD an easy-out calling it for what it was - a plea to sack someone. May have been better to address Holt signing his son directly and Ian Fergus's joining the youth setup and why those appointments were made.

3rd question I thought was handled reasonably well and addressed concerns mentioned. 

4th (email) I thought was answered pretty honestly and was most measured GD had been at this point.

The question about finance and the answer it led to were probably most revealing. It's evident that the BOD are worried. Although they didn't say it outright part-time next year is a genuine possibility. SPFL review is another headache on the horizon and we'll probably fall foul if that comes to fruition.

60+ submitted and in reality only really dealt with 5 all amongst the same vein - Who's walking and why are we so poor!

Recruitment

GM telling us what we already knew. Due to the hostility created at the beginning his attempt to placate the room failed. Also too many subjective comparisons which came back to haunt the execs all night.
GH for all his criticisms knows how to play these. Knew he was in for a tough stint and came across as prepared but I thought, like GM, he fell into trap of making comparisons which he'd never win. 
Interruptions from the floor didn't help at this stage as his point re Wilson got lost - seems to me Wilson wasn't signed as immediate starter but one with potential.
Goodwillie comment said much about how he's viewed rather than his ability. Good player but inference was we, as a club, wouldn't want to be associated with him - Fair

Sheerin

On a hiding-to-nothing after the last few weeks. He's under a lot of scrutiny for what is a L1 club and why he probably looks shell-shocked in all honesty. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment as he's had one window which they admit didn't have his full input. January recruitment is key and all he can do is work on training and his style. 
For what it's worth, Yogi said same when we were in Prem about expansive football and trying to be more defensive. It's an age old problem.

Phil Rawlins

Took the meeting by the scruff-of-the-neck and laid out what the meeting probably needed at the outset IMO. 

Conclusions

The BOD were in a no-win situation and didn't help themselves. From a distance the fan "questions" left a lot to be desired. Too many subjective criticisms and I don't think anyone actually learned anything they didn't know beforehand or changed opinions.

Easy after the fact but questions for next time - 

1. GD defended the BOD against claims of nepotism and Holt suggested he doesn't sign players alone so what oversight was put into signing his son?
  2. GH said he is involved in contracts. Did the board think there was a potential conflict of interest?
  3. Which areas of the team does PS think need strengthening in transfer window X?
  4. How far along is GH in identifying those targets and confidence in securing them?
  5. Sam McGivern was appointed in sales role. How has that appointment worked out so far?

For Holt to sign his son on a 2 year contract when he is completely underperforming in his role shows the sheer arrogance of the man.

Falkirk fans are funding not 1 but 2 holts! They must be having a right laugh milking us while giving nothing but negative results in return.

25 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

For Holt to sign his son on a 2 year contract when he is completely underperforming in his role shows the sheer arrogance of the man.

Falkirk fans are funding not 1 but 2 holts! They must be having a right laugh milking us while giving nothing but negative results in return.

I wouldn't rule out new deals for both either. 

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

In you're job. If people start putting pressure on you negatively do you perform better.

I fully expect falkirk to be where They are for the foreseeable future and its nothing to do with the board.

I see all these people complain day in day out. If these people leave who replaces them. Had the same thing at my own club. Committee go who comes in? 

There's lots of people willing to replace them if given the chance. People willing to invest far more than they have. They won't move over though. If I get a kick up the arse at my work I work harder , ensure I don't drop my standards again and don't make the same mistakes.  

It's everything to do with the board FFS. They appoint the wrong people who then sign the wrong players.  With the budget and facilities we have getting promotion should be a straightforward task for a manager with half a clue.

Guest Brockvillenomore
50 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Totally agree with everything you’ve said and I back the NB investment 100%. However, if I have one minor criticism it’s that there should’ve been at least one representative from the NB group in attendance who could’ve said everything you just have above. The Board got off lightly here when in truth, everything from Deans recording a meeting without permission to the six weeks of dialogue should’ve been thrown at them on the spot.

I'm not part of the NB but have family who are, I expect they will get their point over at some point, the majority are disgusted with the club and keeping their distance.

37 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Now that the dust has settled and I've managed to watch the Q&A in it's entirety a few times I'll put down my thoughts . Apologies it's a long one -

Setup

Easy to say it in hindsight but too many MC's. FTV Lewis, Dave Mac and GD. Good delaying tactic to introduce the table when it was only necessary for the less well known members. The chair (DM) in overall charge of the running should have set out the house rules, format and time keeping off the bat but as it was it became very charged and disorganised.

Opening Statements

Apparent that GD and GC in particular misread the room (and wider support's feelings) and began on the wrong tack. Too much levity from GD and GC straight on the defensive with a straw man argument about the fans responsibilities. At that point the meeting descended into a rabble and set the tone for the evening.
Admission that GC was drawn short straw also gave impression that GD was hiding rather than truer statement that we've heard from him more than others and the new BOD is a collective.

TFS Atmosphere

GD attempt to refocus the meeting seems to have been the point where he muddled young fans/players and was confusing. My take is he meant why would parents want to bring their kids to watch Falkirk with the present atmosphere and he may be arguing some players might not want to come and be subjected to it.

Can only assume fan "behaviours" was the incident with PS at the end of East Fife and any personal abuse.

Questions

As mentioned, 1st question was well researched stats but was subjective. Tend to agree with GD to an extent that it was a statement which ended on a question. However, GD calling it out antagonised the room when he should have moved onto answering why he thinks he is the correct person to lead the club through this period.

GD speaking style appears confrontational (see opening statements)

2nd (online) question was meant to be "hard hitting" but fluffed it's punch for me - Gave GD an easy-out calling it for what it was - a plea to sack someone. May have been better to address Holt signing his son directly and Ian Fergus's joining the youth setup and why those appointments were made.

3rd question I thought was handled reasonably well and addressed concerns mentioned. 

4th (email) I thought was answered pretty honestly and was most measured GD had been at this point.

The question about finance and the answer it led to were probably most revealing. It's evident that the BOD are worried. Although they didn't say it outright part-time next year is a genuine possibility. SPFL review is another headache on the horizon and we'll probably fall foul if that comes to fruition.

60+ submitted and in reality only really dealt with 5 all amongst the same vein - Who's walking and why are we so poor!

Recruitment

GM telling us what we already knew. Due to the hostility created at the beginning his attempt to placate the room failed. Also too many subjective comparisons which came back to haunt the execs all night.
GH for all his criticisms knows how to play these. Knew he was in for a tough stint and came across as prepared but I thought, like GM, he fell into trap of making comparisons which he'd never win. 
Interruptions from the floor didn't help at this stage as his point re Wilson got lost - seems to me Wilson wasn't signed as immediate starter but one with potential.
Goodwillie comment said much about how he's viewed rather than his ability. Good player but inference was we, as a club, wouldn't want to be associated with him - Fair

Sheerin

On a hiding-to-nothing after the last few weeks. He's under a lot of scrutiny for what is a L1 club and why he probably looks shell-shocked in all honesty. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment as he's had one window which they admit didn't have his full input. January recruitment is key and all he can do is work on training and his style. 
For what it's worth, Yogi said same when we were in Prem about expansive football and trying to be more defensive. It's an age old problem.

Phil Rawlins

Took the meeting by the scruff-of-the-neck and laid out what the meeting probably needed at the outset IMO. 

Conclusions

The BOD were in a no-win situation and didn't help themselves. From a distance the fan "questions" left a lot to be desired. Too many subjective criticisms and I don't think anyone actually learned anything they didn't know beforehand or changed opinions.

Easy after the fact but questions for next time - 

1. GD defended the BOD against claims of nepotism and Holt suggested he doesn't sign players alone so what oversight was put into signing his son?
  2. GH said he is involved in contracts. Did the board think there was a potential conflict of interest?
  3. Which areas of the team does PS think need strengthening in transfer window X?
  4. How far along is GH in identifying those targets and confidence in securing them?
  5. Sam McGivern was appointed in sales role. How has that appointment worked out so far?

January window is a hopeless time to be trying to sign players.  Majority would be loans and our record of signing them is probably the worst in Scottish football. Holt and sheerin already have the biggest budget in the league comfortably. Holt has already failed in his basic job of enticing the right standard of player especially striker to come to the club.  Get kb'd 14 times should tell him something and makes the strikers we have 15th ,16th and 17th in the list at least.Why would any sane person give them more cash having seen the dross they've already come up with.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've signed 17 players this summer. 3 on loan and 14 permanent players. 

Improved the squad - Paddy Martin, Leon Mccann, Mackenzie Lemon, Aidan Nesbitt,  Michael Ruth

Not good enough - Luke Holt, Brad Mckay, Steven Hetherington, Craig Mcguffie, Seb Ross, Jaime Wilson, Sammy Ompreon

Undecided - Ryan Williamson, Cammy Williamson, Ben Weekes, Ernaldo Krasniqi, Declan Mcdaid.

So that's 5 out of 17 signings we've got right with a further 5 still to prove their worth. All with a team of 3/4 including Holt looking at these players before they are brought in.

Signing Brad Mckay, Jaime Wilson and resigning Ben Hall having witnessed him for the full second half of last season aren't small mistakes they are huge blunders so it's no wonder we're struggling on the park again this season.

I'd have Ruth in the undecided at best. It's obvious why he was at least the 15th choice on Holt's list and I'm far from convinced he's good enough to lead the line week in week out.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I remember when football used to be about 11 players on a park. If the people running the club aren't giving you the budget they should that's different.

It seems to me they are supplying a budget so check 1.

The head coach has been their 10 games or whatever it is you played.and want rid. How many managers have you weren't through in recent years. The fans turned on the players and managers. My experience of falkirk fc from a fans perspective is very negative and it didn't come from a boardroom.

The expectation that you should go up because its falkirk just doesn't work. You need to get a team together that is going to get promoted. Holt done well at livingston but he's not good enough for here. 

Why would decent quality player come to a basket case club where the fans are fighting with the board on a managers case after 10 games and slate players and they hadn't had 10 games 

I must admit I find it funny that a camelon juniors fan is on here criticising our club when they've been a complete shambles this season. At least our entire team and management hasn't walked out yet due to shenanigans with toxic Tony and the committee. A new manager and entire team came in and yet he's away already yet you are telling us we should be giving our manager time. Camelon are one of the only clubs in Scotland that are even more of a basket case than us.😂😂

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I must admit I find it funny that a camelon juniors fan is on here criticising our club when they've been a complete shambles this season. At least our entire team and management hasn't walked out yet due to shenanigans with toxic Tony and the committee. A new manager and entire team came in and yet he's away already yet you are telling us we should be giving our manager time. Camelon are one of the only clubs in Scotland that are even more of a basket case than us.😂😂

That's because people put the bad shit out about tony. All that could have been avoided. I've been clear with it that their was blame on both sides of the coin for that. As for the start ofnthe season once the secretary resigned we are starting to heal but it's going to take time.

It wouldn't have mattered who took the job andy colley was in a no win really. Difference is we are.moving on after 6 months. You are still causing the same problems yous were doing 3 years ago when yous came down. 

We knew we would be in for a rocky road. Survive the drop this year and we will get back 

6 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

That's because people put the bad shit out about tony. All that could have been avoided. I've been clear with it that their was blame on both sides of the coin for that. As for the start ofnthe season once the secretary resigned we are starting to heal but it's going to take time.

It wouldn't have mattered who took the job andy colley was in a no win really. Difference is we are.moving on after 6 months. You are still causing the same problems yous were doing 3 years ago when yous came down. 

We knew we would be in for a rocky road. Survive the drop this year and we will get back 

Your telling us to stick with the manager and yet you got rid of yours quick as you like. Why is it ok to get rid of yours but not us especially as you said it wasn't his fault after all. You've had a clear out obviously which seems fine for you but when we want a clear out to detox the club your slating us. Seems you pick and choose what's good for your club but not ours.

Ps can you please take toxic Tony back as he's now stinking out Falkirk TV.

Edited by Shadwell Dog