The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I'm streaming it as it was only £10.  God help us, Ompreon and Wilson up front.  I know the game doesn't matter at all compared with the league.  Just hope we can keep the score down.

I just think it’s a sad sign of where we are when we’re in League One and seemingly writing off cup competitions to concentrate on the league. Could maybe understand it if it was lower opposition and the chance to give others a run out but it’s an opportunity to put one over Kilmarnock. 

Just think a winning mentality is not based on fear of losing the league because we’re playing too many games, particularly when games are a week apart! 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I just think it’s a sad sign of where we are when we’re in League One and seemingly writing off cup competitions to concentrate on the league. Could maybe understand it if it was lower opposition and the chance to give others a run out but it’s an opportunity to put one over Kilmarnock. 

Just think a winning mentality is not based on fear of losing the league because we’re playing too many games, particularly when games are a week apart! 

Tbf, I used to like this cup years ago, but the inclusion of the B teams means its a big GTF for me.

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Ompreon, Wilson and Williamson are the only 3 that you normally would say had no chance of starting. The other 8 are in with a chance of starting most Saturdays. Morrison is injured so not playing.  If you play Keena and he gets crocked we're fecked.  The problem is Wilson and ompreon aren't rated at all.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbf, I used to like this cup years ago, but the inclusion of the B teams means its a big GTF for me.

When it was first introduced it was great, genuinely gave lower league clubs the chance to win some silverware. With all the changes of introducing Irish and Welsh teams and now B teams it is well past its sell by date.

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fair point. Hate that too. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ompreon, Wilson and Williamson are the only 3 that you normally would say had no chance of starting. The other 8 are in with a chance of starting most Saturdays. Morrison is injured so not playing.  If you play Keena and he gets crocked we're fecked.  The problem is Wilson and ompreon aren't rated at all.

Yeh suppose you’re right. Maybe the lack of depth in our squad that should be of more concern then. Saying that it’s a good opportunity for those on the fringes to show what they can do. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

3 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh suppose you’re right. Maybe the lack of depth in our squad that should be of more concern then. 

Ompreon has actually had a few good touches at least but Wilson just looks anonymous.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

When it was first introduced it was great, genuinely gave lower league clubs the chance to win some silverware. With all the changes of introducing Irish and Welsh teams and now B teams it is well past its sell by date.

I can remember being at the final at Fir Park when we beat QoS in 97. I'd have not long turned 12. We celebrated it like it was a big deal that day. Just can't get excited about it at all now for the reasons mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I can remember being at the final at Fir Park when we beat QoS in 97. I'd have not long turned 12. We celebrated it like it was a big deal that day. Just can't get excited about it at all now for the reasons mentioned. 

Finals have always been a decent day out but the early stages are a real drag these days. Bringing b teams and foreign sides has done  nothing for it . The whole idea of it was to allow smaller teams the chance to win something so why make it any more difficult for them.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Finals have always been a decent day out but the early stages are a real drag these days. Bringing b teams and foreign sides has done  nothing for it . The whole idea of it was to allow smaller teams the chance to win something so why make it any more difficult for them.

A quick scan of YouTube to find footage of Davie Hagens winner led me to this, for anyone that hasn't seen already. Unsure why Mowglis goal is in there, but Hagen scored some pearlers for us. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

A quick scan of YouTube to find footage of Davie Hagens winner led me to this, for anyone that hasn't seen already. Unsure why Mowglis goal is in there, but Hagen scored some pearlers for us. 

Was a good assist by Davie. Cheers for sharing. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I had a great day at Fir Park in '93 when we beat St, Mirren 3-0 in the final after getting absolutely pumped off them in the first half. I was living in the North East of England at the time and drove up with 3 of my mates. The weather on the drive back was horrendous, a scary trip home but a fantastic day out. Like you say, you celebrated the win as if it really meant something. I was slightly older than 12 that day!

3 minutes ago, Would you believe it said:

Feel like half of his touches are excellent, the other half he barely knows where the ball is. 😂

Yeah don't think he knows what he's going to do most of the time. Frustrating as there looks like there could be a footballer hidden in there somewhere.