The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Absolutely, but it’s Falkirk and they’re not going to spend the money required. As has been said before, if there was any possibility of making a deal for McManus work then we should have been all over it. We can play great football but ultimately goals win matches/leagues, so they need to make sure they have the players to get them. 

Not going to spend the money required, except for the combined 40k plus on sammy and Wilson, 50k on Holt, 10k plus on his son that’ll never get near the lowland league never mind our first team. Never mind the 500k plus that would have ensured we got the 1 or 2 players we need to be a title fighting/winning team. As was said before the “knicker wetters” have been right for the last decade. Imo a title winning club would not have gone down on Saturday like we did those last 20 mins. 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

It's all became very Rachel Riley, throw numbers up from standard formations and the usual becomes something else but also the same as it was before if someone is taking a shy.

We have never ever really signed for a formation since McCall....

As for the 4-5-1 under Holt, it was the most defensive rigid 4-5-1 I've ever seen, when Morrison was in the attacking area Keena would go as far back as right back to cover, do not try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, it was truly the most defensive rigid mess I've ever seen at Falkirk and that was when we had a full selection of players. 

As I’ve said, it ended up looking like a 451 because how shit we were. Everyone knows Holt loves a 4231 formation

13 hours ago, MrDust said:

reckon Kenna will get at least 15 this season,

You'll get decent odds on that. I reckon he'll be lucky to hit 10. I'll offset that by saying Ompreon and Wilson don't score a league goal between them and statistically are/will be worse than Sammon/Dowds and Francis. 

Edited by ebobsboy

8 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

He did feck all other than miss a very good chance. I thought Dixon marked him out of the game for the large part. You could see he's got something about him though.

Imagine a striker’s only contribution being to score the winning goal in a match vs the team that’s expected to be your biggest rivals for the league.

10 hours ago, Rocco said:

We’re not going to get a striker of the quality we need at the start of the window. I would suspect that in League 1 you will more than likely get the better quality striker in the loan section of the window that we’re at now. That is unless you get lucky with a Shankland and Nisbet type

He should've been working on it from the moment he came in the bloody door though. It's not as if there hasn't been players floating about but we'd rather waste two wages on a couple of dummies than pay the likes of Gavin Riley . It's all about contacts and being able to persuade players that this is the place to be. The right manager/dof gets these players in. Look at our past managers that managed to bring in players that should've been playing at a much higher level. Jeffries, McCall, Hughes could all do it even when we were struggling .It's not as if we're looking for a superstar. A lot of very average strikers have scored goals in this league for sides worse than us. The fact we can't find someone who can score 15 to 20 at this level is poor to say the least. We've huffed and puffed and wasted cash already which again limits our options now. This should've been number one priority from the start.  Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that considering our top striker had 3 goals last season. 

And to say Keena had an off day are we really sure about that? I can remember him having far more games for us like Saturday than performances like the one he had against Airdrie. 

Murray was the difference on Saturday. He scored the goal that won them 3 points. I'd take that every week from one of our strikers. That's 4 in 5 from him and 4 in 5 from megginson and mccallister and even Montrose have Webster whose got 5 in 5. Meanwhile our top scoring striker has one. We know the likes of Morrison can blow hot and cold so we can't rely on him or the other wingers midfielders to carry the club. 

6 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

You'll get decent odds on that. I reckon he'll be lucky to hit 10. I'll offset that by saying Ompreon and Wilson don't score a league goal between them and statistically are/will be worse than Sammon/Dowds and Francis. 

To be honest I'd rather we'd tried to get moffat from ayr than signed that pair. At least he has a decent record of scoring at this level and seems to be out the picture up there. He also gets stuck in. I'm not saying he would be the answer totally but he's better than either of those two Muppets.

18 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

As things stand, this season looks likely to be littered with narrow victories, narrow defeats and a bunch of 0-0 draws.

There simply aren’t  goals in the squad. I thought “lose Keena, and the game is well and truly up” but as was pointed out to me “lose Morrison and it’ll be much worse”.

Saw a comment about the knicker wetters  being out in force. It’s those knicker wetters that have called it correctly for the past three seasons.

Last season we experienced the greatest ever capitulation from a league winning position. I just don’t feel that our Boardroom was so scarred by that to the point where they would never allow it to happen again. We seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at it off the park, but not on it.

Have you tried just getting behind the team? COYB expect the unexpected

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He should've been working on it from the moment he came in the bloody door though. It's not as if there hasn't been players floating about but we'd rather waste two wages on a couple of dummies than pay the likes of Gavin Riley . It's all about contacts and being able to persuade players that this is the place to be. The right manager/dof gets these players in. Look at our past managers that managed to bring in players that should've been playing at a much higher level. Jeffries, McCall, Hughes could all do it even when we were struggling .It's not as if we're looking for a superstar. A lot of very average strikers have scored goals in this league for sides worse than us. The fact we can't find someone who can score 15 to 20 at this level is poor to say the least. We've huffed and puffed and wasted cash already which again limits our options now. This should've been number one priority from the start.  Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that considering our top striker had 3 goals last season. 

And to say Keena had an off day are we really sure about that? I can remember him having far more games for us like Saturday than performances like the one he had against Airdrie. 

Murray was the difference on Saturday. He scored the goal that won them 3 points. I'd take that every week from one of our strikers. That's 4 in 5 from him and 4 in 5 from megginson and mccallister and even Montrose have Webster whose got 5 in 5. Meanwhile our top scoring striker has one. We know the likes of Morrison can blow hot and cold so we can't rely on him or the other wingers midfielders to carry the club. 

HOLT OUT!

SHADWELL IN!

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Imagine a striker’s only contribution being to score the winning goal in a match vs the team that’s expected to be your biggest rivals for the league.

You don't have to imagine mate, that's exactly what happened.

Just having a quick look at the Premiership squads, I'd say on loan we should be trying our luck with

Gullan at Hibs 

Ruth at Aberdeen

Hamilton at Livingston 

Henderson at Hearts 

With Killie bringing in some reinforcements up front Innes Cameron would be a good shout. 

Had a look at the free agents and there's nobody I could see that looks good (I'm not a football scout though). 

Wee fat Ross McCormack and Nile rangers are free lol

Guest Caractacus Potts

It’s not good news if true about us not stumping enough cash(none at all) for Reilly to come to us. I know he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I thought he would have been a good signing. 

Again it goes back to questioning why they turned down good money from the NB? That has to be landed at Gary Deans door. We desperately need to get out of this league yet we’ve stuck by Keena as our main striker and failed to try capture Simon Murray, Billy McKay, Gavin Reilly, McManus and many other players who were more certain to do a job scoring than those we brought in. 

There appears to be more and more evidence that we are absolutely strapped for cash and deciding to prioritise what we have on ventures off the field instead of on it. There has been no cash injection from the Rawlins either as expected, so we’re once again seeming to trust in good faith that everything will be rosy. 

Is it knicker wetting? Possibly so but it’s for good reason as we yet again seem to be choosing to ignore the weaknesses that have been very obvious to most people. It’s a gamble and if we don’t get up this year then we’re in a lot of trouble. 

39 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Just having a quick look at the Premiership squads, I'd say on loan we should be trying our luck with

Gullan at Hibs 

Ruth at Aberdeen

Hamilton at Livingston 

Henderson at Hearts 

With Killie bringing in some reinforcements up front Innes Cameron would be a good shout. 

Had a look at the free agents and there's nobody I could see that looks good (I'm not a football scout though). 

Wee fat Ross McCormack and Nile rangers are free lol

Ruth I'm not too keen on. Not really shown he can score goals anywhere yet. The other names definitely yes but if we aren't willing to pay Gavin Reilly's wages then not much chance of getting any of them. You'd think Rawlins must have some kind of contacts in the game he could look for favours from surely. He can't have been involved in the game as he's been without getting to know agents etc.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

It’s not good news if true about us not stumping enough cash(none at all) for Reilly to come to us. I know he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I thought he would have been a good signing. 

Again it goes back to questioning why they turned down good money from the NB? That has to be landed at Gary Deans door. We desperately need to get out of this league yet we’ve stuck by Keena as our main striker and failed to try capture Simon Murray, Billy McKay, Gavin Reilly, McManus and many other players who were more certain to do a job scoring than those we brought in. 

There appears to be more and more evidence that we are absolutely strapped for cash and deciding to prioritise what we have on ventures off the field instead of on it. There has been no cash injection from the Rawlins either as expected, so we’re once again seeming to trust in good faith that everything will be rosy. 

Is it knicker wetting? Possibly so but it’s for good reason as we yet again seem to be choosing to ignore the weaknesses that have been very obvious to most people. It’s a gamble and if we don’t get up this year then we’re in a lot of trouble. 

Morton received 500k no strings attached free money, we never.

Reilly is not worth paying his premiership wages in full. 

13 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I'd also imagine Gullan/Ruth are on a fair bit less than what Reilly takes home each week. Jakubiak seems to be well out of favour at Dundee especially after they've just signed Griffiths but he'll most likely have better suitors than us. Gullan is interesting as again he's completely out the picture at Hibs and from what I remember of him at Raith he can play as either a winger or the number nine but again there'll be a fair few teams in for him. Hamilton's not an option he seems to be very much in the first team picture at livingston just now so that ships sailed. Ruth would be a bit meh compared to the others mentioned but it wouldn't be surprising given our position. 

Push the boat out and give Dundee whatever they want for the Jak. Bring him home. Don't fancy Innes Cameron there's a reason Killie have decided to pursue other options instead of him lately. 

Edited by FFC 1876

14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Depends how much that would be surely? If it's 600 or 700 quid a week and we think it's the difference between winning the league and finishing in a playoff spot then I would say it's worth it. If he's on 2 grand a week then not so much.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Not to go over old ground too much but we received £150k no strings attached and top of that had an offer of £550k. Ofcourse there would be strings attached to that but it wasn’t too outlandish considering they were investing more than the Rawlins. Can understand their reasonings for maybe knocking it back if they had other lines of investment but if they come back to fans to raise money for a token appointment then it’s not good enough for me. 

Whether Reilly is worth paying full wages is a different story. He wouldn’t be a sure fire answer but certainly more along the lines of someone we should have been looking to capture IMO. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Depends how much that would be surely? If it's 600 or 700 quid a week and we think it's the difference between winning the league and finishing in a playoff spot then I would say it's worth it. If he's on 2 grand a week then not so much.

Surely can’t be that much? I doubt many other Premiership teams would have been interested. Sibbald apparently left us for not much more money so would be surprised if Livi were forking out anything more than £700/week on Reilly.