The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
12 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Mention that Wilson and Ompreon are not players on COYB Facebook page and you get all the happy clappers on your back.   Loyalty is one thing, wilfully ignoring the obvious is quite another.  At least here on Pie and Bovril I can be assured of a higher proportion of miserable buggers like me.

I’ve been keeping quiet on here for the exact same reason as feel like there’s been a lot of folk getting carried away with our start.

From what I’ve seen I see some improvement in some areas but not in others. Currently Sammon would appear to have been a better option than the other strikers we have and that’s saying something. 

One thing is that I’m not too threatened by the other sides in this league. We can afford a hiccup like we did yesterday but not too many.

We are actually 4 goals behind last season’s team and 1 point worse off. We need 10 points out of the next 12 just to stay on a par with last year too so think there is still a lot to be done before we can consider this a far superior outfit.

Hopefully we see one or two quality signings in the coming weeks that can propel us on to get a good run going. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’ve been keeping quiet on here for the exact same reason as feel like there’s been a lot of folk getting carried away with our start.

From what I’ve seen I see some improvement in some areas but not in others. Currently Sammon would appear to have been a better option than the other strikers we have and that’s saying something. 

One thing is that I’m not too threatened by the other sides in this league. We can afford a hiccup like we did yesterday but not too many. We certainly can’t afford to get complacent anyway.

We are 4 goals behind last season’s team and 1 point worse off. We need 13 points out of the next 15 just to stay on a par with last year too so think their is still a lot to be done before we can consider this a far superior outfit.

Hopefully we see one or two quality signings in the coming weeks that can propel us on to get a good run going. 

Good point. Please email this post to Gary Deans, Gary Holt and Paul Sheerin. 

Guest Back Post Misses
3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Quite mental to think that we could actually be worse off than last season after the first quarter despite playing better football, having better players ( some not all) and a coach that at least seems to have a bit of a clue. 

We can’t and won’t score enough goals without a better striking option. Sheerin can talk all he wants about having more goals in the team from midfield but a striker wins you this league. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

We can’t and won’t score enough goals without a better striking option. Sheerin can talk all he wants about having more goals in the team from midfield but a striker wins you this league. 

I think it’s a major concern to all of us that Sheerin and Holt think the 3 strikers we have are good enough to win us the league.

Having just put myself through the 'highlights' I'm sticking by what I said after the game. We can have no complaints with the freekick as Dixon checks Moore's run and Mutch should really be doing better with the freekick as it looks to be nowhere near the corner.

Opportunity missed but hopefully it highlights the need for us to strengthen the squad. Telfer needs to be moved on one, he's wasted doing the donkey work in the holding midfielder role. Ross played as the furthest forward of the three on Saturday and offered nothing. Anybody heard how long Williamson's going to be out for as Miller wasn't terrible on Saturday but by god we could do with him back pronto.

20 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is true 

Very disappointed with this, I thought weekes would start to get a chance infront of mcguffie, lemon is also far more composed and just a more confident defender than Hall so would rather we kept him in the set up as well. Only so long you can just 'trust the process' if things aren't going well. For now I just hope Sheerin knows what he's doing so will give him the benefit of the doubt even if I don't agree. 

My granny could've saved that free kick of Murray's. His attempt at saving it was brutal. Time for the backup boy to get a chance. First offside was laughable second looks just off. Tackle by Gillespie was a shocker and it's quite.increfible that not even a free kick given when you saw xhaka sent off for making far less contact at the weekend .  As has been said we're going to struggle badly without another quality striker. I've taken the ompreon, Wilson and dowds wages and used all 3 to get in on e decent player.  With only one striker being played you could get away with only having two on the books and at the moment we're just pissing money down the drain on that pair.  I like sheerin but his tactics on Saturday and his signings of ompreon and Wilson are a black mark on an otherwise decent start and are not being helped by his seemingly lack of concern or urgency about getting someone else in. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Good point. Please email this post to Gary Deans, Gary Holt and Paul Sheerin. 

Got it slightly wrong as counted a cup game so it’s 10 points out of the next 12. The results really started to dwindle after our first defeat last year so really can’t see this team being worse off beyond the first quarter. Sheerin does seem to have much more of a clue and definitely can see what he’s trying to achieve with the team. 

The early comparison maybe serves as a bit of a reality check though and hopefully emphasises the need to bring in some real quality before the window shuts. 

53 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

If true a mental decision 

Whilst I agree, if the club are looking to bolster the squad and add players competing for places, then it makes complete sense to let these guys go out and get first team football

Lemon's essentially competiting for Dixon's spot and unless Dixon gets injured he won't see much game time. May as well get him out on loan so hopefully he can continue improving. Same with Williamson as he's not going to displace Mccann. Weekes I'd rather keep as he'd be a useful option off the bench with his pace and directness.

Saturday made clear some of the deficiencies in the squad. In particular for the second year running we seem overly dependent on Morrison and we have little on the bench to change games.
I don't think it's all doom and gloom as the performances have been good on the whole but it's the lack of depth that's a concern.
It's pretty clear though that we need a starting striker in asap, I'd also want a starting LW as I'm not convinced by McGuffie yet and Nesbitt looks better in the centre.

McGuffie will have games where he is effective I think and others where he's anonymous.  If it let's us play Nesbitt in the centre and drop Ross then that might be fine.  

Sheerin said he was looking to get 2 in as loans by the end of September so have to hope a striker is one of those.  

Don't mind the young boys going on loan.  Most of the lowland league is on a par if not better than League 2. 

23 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Gavin Reilly gone to Morton. Was he strongly linked to Falkirk? Fairly sure Ruth will go out on loan given Aberdeen's latest recruitment and could well find his way to the Bairns or Cove.

No.

Ruth was mentioned once in connection with Falkirk in a report months ago, yet his name keeps being regurgitated for some reason. Does not appear to have done very much of anything anywhere, personally think he'd be far too much of a gamble for us given the pitiful state of our current striking options. Not one I'd be sorry to see go elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, AGPar said:

No.

Ruth was mentioned once in connection with Falkirk in a report months ago, yet his name keeps being regurgitated for some reason. Does not appear to have done very much of anything anywhere, personally think he'd be far too much of a gamble for us given the pitiful state of our current striking options. Not one I'd be sorry to see go elsewhere.

I'm in agreement, he would be a gamble for sure. Not one that Cove could really afford to take either given we have Rory (34) and Leighton McIntosh, who I'd have little faith in as a main striker, as our only backups to Mitch. We need someone  more established at this level or higher.  

Edited by CoveRangers1922