The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He did that on a show that Tam Cowan hosted on the telly, it might even have been called "The Tam Cowan Show" I really can't recall, but Cowan absolutely ripped him for wearing a corduroy jacket. 🤣

I was on that show in the audience when Tony Christie was the guest singer, I had my Falkirk top on and the cameras were on me as he sang amarillo. Pish fact and claim to fame of the day!! 

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

The development recruits aren't really development recruits. They are signed to be sqaud players..

Sorry, but I think that's almost as far off the mark as your "Cove have the league sown up already" post which you made in the middle of June.  More than a month before the league kicked off.  

From what I picked up from a signing night recently there will be two development squads. One at U16 level and one at U18. If you assume say 15 players in each squad that's 30 young players on our books, none of whom will be near the first team squad unless Sheerin offers them a deal as he did with the likes of Ben Weekes & Co.  

I imagine the players who emerge from the development squad with pro contracts will be no more than 3 or 4 a season, just as they always were when we had an academy.  Some of whom went on to be a lot more than just squad players. 

Time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sorry, but I think that's almost as far off the mark as your "Cove have the league sown up already" post which you made in the middle of June.  More than a month before the league kicked off.  

From what I picked up from a signing night recently there will be two development squads. One at U16 level and one at U18. If you assume say 15 players in each squad that's 30 young players on our books, none of whom will be near the first team squad unless Sheerin offers them a deal as he did with the likes of Ben Weekes & Co.  

I imagine the players who emerge from the development squad with pro contracts will be no more than 3 or 4 a season, just as they always were when we had an academy.  Some of whom went on to be a lot more than just squad players. 

Time will tell. 

Not that far off the mark when the three kids were bumped up to the Senior Squad before even kicking a ball in anger.  At 18 they were either too old or on the cusp of being too old for the U-18 squad.

As for the Cove part.... I'm hoping you are right.......but remember what happened last season between us and Partick. At the moment, I'm more worried about QP !  

Time will tell. 
That's why I said Development players. As I view it signing a pro contract is the start of further development not that they are the finished article. I remember Kingsley's first few starts and people saying what idiot put him in the first team? He developed

Just now, Zbairn said:

At 18 they were either too old or on the cusp of being too old for the U-18 squad.

As for the Cove part.... I'm hoping you are right.......but remember what happened last season between us and Partick. At the moment, I'm more worried about QP !  

I don't know their ages so couldn't comment on the squads. Re QP, I would have agreed with you five months ago. Not now. 

We were abysmal last season after the Airdrie game in December. My lowest point in 42 years as a Falkirk fan was driving seven hours to and from Peterhead in April and seeing not a single shot on target while the opposition played us off the park. Within ten minutes of kickoff it was obvious we were going to lose. The departure of M&M the next day was no surprise. 

Everything changed for me with the first game back against Irvine Meadow. We were excellent. Not because we won, but because of the type of football we played. Which you can now see for yourself as there are no more closed-door games.

Sheerin has made a massive difference. We finally look like a real football team. As I've been saying privately to a number of my friends ever since. 

This might be one of the alcohol-induced posts that I later regret, given that I'm just finishing off a bottle of wine which the lovely Sarah Scott gave me after we met at the stadium earlier today. But I'm confident we'll win the league. I've been really impressed by the quality of football we've played so far. This team are just night and day compared to the last three or four years. Dare we hope that the good times are returning? 

24 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Not that far off the mark when the three kids were bumped up to the Senior Squad before even kicking a ball in anger.  At 18 they were either too old or on the cusp of being too old for the U-18 squad.

When you are 18 you play U18 unless you are good enough to play older. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

The answer to whether these players are development players or not will be if they are over and above the required squad size that Sheerin aimed for.  If they are part of it then they are squad players. 

14 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

That's why I said Development players. As I view it signing a pro contract is the start of further development not that they are the finished article. I remember Kingsley's first few starts and people saying what idiot put him in the first team? He developed

Kingsley was always going to be a success. He stood out a mile at the development games (U19 I think) that I used to watch at Stirling Uni. The amount of goals he set up for Joe McCafferty or Ally Graham to tap in at the back post was unbelievable. 

9 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Kingsley was always going to be a success. He stood out a mile at the development games (U19 I think) that I used to watch at Stirling Uni. The amount of goals he set up for Joe McCafferty or Ally Graham to tap in at the back post was unbelievable. 

He got sent off after about 3 mins of his debut,at the time the ref could have easily booked him and said calm down as he was a young boy.But no red card flashed.

9 minutes ago, keithgy said:

He got sent off after about 3 mins of his debut,at the time the ref could have easily booked him and said calm down as he was a young boy.But no red card flashed.

Was sat along from his Mum who is a friend of my better half. Pretty sure at the time that he lasted 2 minutes 10 seconds.
My missus was pals with the Mother of the lad Turner from Kippen. He got his big chance in goals for Everton, and got sent off for handling outside the box early in the game. It actually broke the guy, and he never featured again. Similar things with very different outcomes for the players concerned.

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Was sat along from his Mum who is a friend of my better half. Pretty sure at the time that he lasted 2 minutes 10 seconds.
My missus was pals with the Mother of the lad Turner from Kippen. He got his big chance in goals for Everton, and got sent off for handling outside the box early in the game. It actually broke the guy, and he never featured again. Similar things with very different outcomes for the players concerned.

I remember the boy Turner from his days in the Juveniles.

Truly outstanding talent even as a youngster, shame it never quite worked out for him.