The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I don't have a problem with flags, folk can fly a saltire, union jack, irish flag or whatever, is upto them. However when it's at the football the problem with the union jack is it's so heavily associated with rangers and there's the false narrative Celtic fans run with that we (and loads of other clubs) are just rangers fans without the bus fare. Anyone younger fans maybe from a celtic supporting family wanting to support us instead of celtic would be put off by that union jack yesterday. Anything that discourages anyone from supporting us or any local team rather than rangers or celtic is in my opinion a very bad thing (a very bad thing...that's them told then :lol:)

I remember when the club flew a union flag at Brockville, didn’t go down well with a lot of people then and probably even more so now.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Next week will be the real litmus test. If we can beat Airdrie then things are definitely going in the right direction considering our piss poor results against them in recent seasons.

I think Queens Park will be a bigger test than Airdrie. Someone earlier stated that we might at last beat a full time team if we beat Airdrie. Are Airdrie truly full time? I thought they ran a mix of a few full timers and the rest being part time. Or is that no longer the case?

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Not sure why there’s even a discussion about a Union Jack being ok. Take that pish elsewhere. 

Unfortunately, in Scottish football terms, the Union Jack is always going to be wholly associated with those who support Sevco. 

Therefore, it has no place whatsoever at TFS as a flag representing our team. 

Just now, Zbairn said:

Unfortunately, in Scottish football terms, the Union Jack is always going to be wholly associated with those who support Sevco. 

I think that’s the point he was making. 

24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think Queens Park will be a bigger test than Airdrie. Someone earlier stated that we might at last beat a full time team if we beat Airdrie. Are Airdrie truly full time? I thought they ran a mix of a few full timers and the rest being part time. Or is that no longer the case?

I think they are all part time now

48 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

There's been union flag Falkirk flags at games for aslong as Ive supported the team. I frankly couldn't give a feck as long as they are supporting the side and not just coming along because they can't get a ticket for sevco.  Anyway what's happening on the park is far more important than a flag.

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's been union flag Falkirk flags at games for aslong as Ive supported the team. I frankly couldn't give a feck as long as they are supporting the side and not just coming along because they can't get a ticket for sevco.  Anyway what's happening on the park is far more important than a flag.

That's true that on the park is more important. Also true the union flag has been flown by some Falkirk fans now and then but it's also been divisive as long as I've supported us with little general support among the majority of Falkirk fans. It won't attract fans to us from rangers but it would put off some fans from supporting us as it has an association with rangers and like it or not the far right, also nationalism wasn't a major issue for most so the change in politics in Scotland since the 80/90s means the flag will alienate even more potential supporters. So while it's not a major issue it could lose us fans and isn't really a good look for a provincial Scottish football team.

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

That's true that on the park is more important. Also true the union flag has been flown by some Falkirk fans now and then but it's also been divisive as long as I've supported us with little general support among the majority of Falkirk fans. It won't attract fans to us from rangers but it would put off some fans from supporting us as it has an association with rangers and like it or not the far right, also nationalism wasn't a major issue for most so the change in politics in Scotland since the 80/90s means the flag will alienate even more potential supporters. So while it's not a major issue it could lose us fans and isn't really a good look for a provincial Scottish football team.

Frankly I very much doubt it will any of the sort.  Again I've been at games for years and the vast majority of fans are watching the match and couldn't give a flying feck about flags . To think that fans aren't going to come along and watch because of a single we hate Fife union flag is frankly ludicrous. . Mountains out of bloody molehills comes to mind. Jesus wept 😂😂

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I was both shocked and appalled by the sight of that flag on Saturday. Like it or not, it's been hijacked by the far right and clearly is used to demonstrate an allegiance that has nothing to do with Falkirk or indeed any other club in Scotland - bar one. Christ, I remember it in the sixties at Brockville. It may have been acceptable then (God knows why) but in the current climate, it is abhorrent and represents everything that we as a progressive, open-minded country (and I hope, club) should avoid at all costs.