The Falkirk FC Thread

As harrowing as 128000 deaths are, please save it for the covid thread.

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At the end of the day it all means feck all if we don't put a decent side on the park playing some half decent football and win the league. That's the litmus test .  We'll find out on the 31st of July.

I'd be delighted if we won the league but realistically looking at 2nd/3rd place & hoping we're up for the play-offs.

Guest Caractacus Potts
12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I honestly think if we humped Albion Rovers 4-0 and played exciting attacking football you'd get posters on here complaining that it should have been 9-0 and the air was a bit too humid where they were sitting.

You could make up an equally extreme hypothetical regarding any boardroom sycophants but what point would that serve? 

24 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I honestly think if we humped Albion Rovers 4-0 and played exciting attacking football you'd get posters on here complaining that it should have been 9-0 and the air was a bit too humid where they were sitting.

League cup  means nothing though. It's the cove game that counts. No point humping Albion rovers if we then lose up there.  Same if we lose to Albion rovers means nowt.

27 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

As harrowing as 128000 deaths are, please save it for the covid thread.

I'd be delighted if we won the league but realistically looking at 2nd/3rd place & hoping we're up for the play-offs.

If we don't win the league with the biggest budget according to our bod then what's the point of a CEO, or any of the other appoinemts. Holt and sheerin will have failed miserably . The bare minimum for us in.this league should be winning it and nothing less.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

30 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Fucking happy clapper. 🙂 Can't even see this squad matching our 5th place of last season.

I don't think there's much in it squad wise - it could be argued that overall ours is actually strongest despite the uninspiring signings to date.  What's not in doubt I  think is that the best players in the league don't play for Falkirk.  (Megginson, Fyvie, Murray etc)

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

10 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Who do people think has the best squad in the league?

I'd put cove ahead of us simply by the fact they have a guy that will guarantee you 20 goals a season at this level. McManus turned our mediocre team into title contenders two seasons ago as we saw last season.

There are 2 main thrusts to most of the discussions on here (apart from some crazy stupid ones a la Dawson Park)  :-

1. 100% of the fans are interested on what is happening on the playing side. I'm personally not convinced with much of the signings, but I'll reserve judgement until I see what formation / tactics Sheerin employs and what he can get our of the players on the park.

2. Only around 5% of the fans (I include myself in that number) are concerned about the clubs governance and how they treat the fans. That has been a total disaster and doesn't look to be getting any better soon.

My only real issue is that point 2 generally signifcantly affects point 1...... in as much as good governance generally leads to better finances, which in turn leads to more cash for a better quality squad, which in turn (again) normally means happier fans.

You can see from the general consensus of opion of the current squad on here, where we are in terms of governance.

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Happy with Falkirk being in 2nd or 3rd place in the 3rd tier of Scottish football ?

Are you having a laugh ?

🙂

Just now, Zbairn said:

Happy with Falkirk being in 2nd or 3rd place in the 3rd tier of Scottish football ?

Are you having a laugh ?

🙂

At which point did I even come close to expressing happiness at the current situation?

22 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Who do people think has the best squad in the league?

Cove, Queen's Park then ourselves. 

Fyvie, for me, is the best player in the league & both Cove and QP have proven goalscorers.

21 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I don't think there's much in it squad wise - it could be argued that overall ours is actually strongest despite the uninspiring signings to date.  What's not in doubt I don't think is that the best players in the league don't play for Falkirk.  (Megginson, Fyvie, Murray etc)

This is exactly how I feel looking at most teams in the league. We dont have that player that you think is far too good for Falkirk on paper whereas cove and queens do.

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

NOBODY is far too good for Falkirk.

We've got plenty who aren't good enough though.

Unfortunately a side that finished 5th in the 3rd tier of Scottish football means there is plenty of players that are too good for us right now

That i couldnt agree more with.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

128,000 dead, so far.  That's with "extreme measures".

128,000 actual ruined lives. 128,000 people who had wives, husbands, children, grandchildren - all of whom had their lives impacted by Covid. 

Idiot. 

So what's your solution?

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

There are 2 main thrusts to most of the discussions on here (apart from some crazy stupid ones a la Dawson Park)  :-

1. 100% of the fans are interested on what is happening on the playing side. I'm personally not convinced with much of the signings, but I'll reserve judgement until I see what formation / tactics Sheerin employs and what he can get our of the players on the park.

2. Only around 5% of the fans (I include myself in that number) are concerned about the clubs governance and how they treat the fans. That has been a total disaster and doesn't look to be getting any better soon.

My only real issue is that point 2 generally signifcantly affects point 1...... in as much as good governance generally leads to better finances, which in turn leads to more cash for a better quality squad, which in turn (again) normally means happier fans.

You can see from the general consensus of opion of the current squad on here, where we are in terms of governance.

We could have another million pounds in our playing budget but if the folk spending it are as fecking useless as we've had here it doesn't matter one iota. We got relegated from the championship with probably the second or third biggest player budget and we've come 5th in this league with at least the second biggest budget. Until the players signed are the right quality and type we are going nowhere.  I'm still far from convinced by our latest signings that anything has changed . In fact if you gave me a choice between starting this season with the current squad or McKinnons of two year ago I'd pick McKinnons in a heart beat and as we we'll know it wasn't any great shakes but would at least have us in with a good shout.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Sheerin acknowledges that Jaime Wilson played poorly against Stirling Uni but signs him anyway. And has his "fingers crossed" that he gets us a few goals.

We have a mediocre squad at the moment and we might be adding 2 guys from Ian Fergus' academy to make up the numbers. 😟

Used the phrase "top up the squad" again.

I think we are in for a long, hard slog this season.

I know some on here will be saying that I'm being negative but, just in the way that teams on the park sometimes need a lift from the supporters, sometimes supporters need a lift from the club and we're just not getting that at the moment.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

9 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Sheerin acknowledges that Jaime Wilson played poorly against Stirling Uni but signs him anyway. And has his "fingers crossed" that he gets us a few goals.

We have a mediocre squad at the moment and we might be adding 2 guys from Ian Fergus' academy to make up the numbers. 😟

Used the phrase "top up the squad" again.

I think we are in for a long, hard slog this season.

I know some on here will be saying that I'm being negative but, just in the way that teams on the park sometimes need a lift from the supporters, sometimes supporters need a lift from the club and we're just not getting that at the moment.

Agree with a lot of what you say however the first bit is something that any of us don’t really have a clue about. He’s seen Wilson every day in training and 2 games where in one he scored 3 and in one where we were praised for playing really well, if anything I appreciate his honesty in saying he was poor against Stirling Uni but clearly still showed enough to warrant a deal. 

51 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We could have another million pounds in our playing budget but if the folk spending it are as fecking useless as we've had here it doesn't matter one iota. We got relegated from the championship with probably the second or third biggest player budget and we've come 5th in this league with at least the second biggest budget. Until the players signed are the right quality and type we are going nowhere.  I'm still far from convinced by our latest signings that anything has changed . In fact if you gave me a choice between starting this season with the current squad or McKinnons of two year ago I'd pick McKinnons in a heart beat and as we we'll know it wasn't any great shakes but would at least have us in with a good shout.

Spot on !