The Falkirk FC Thread

17 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Queen's Park look a team. I'm expecting another Glasgow thorn in the Bairns' arse this season to keep you at the seaside for yet another year.

17 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I thought they would be the favourites but they've been signing dross like Lewis Moore.

16 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

Don’t think a friendly against Raith is the best judge of who’s gonna be a decent side. We put 6 by yous with Francis looking like Henry. The rest is history. 

Fair enough points for post designed to wind up Falkirk fans, but…I will say that Queen’s Park look to have a decent side. Noticed the concern about Hall and the defence in general, and that’s where Queen’s kneecapped us yesterday. Two very nicely weighted crosses from the right, two beautifully executed headers for the goal. If your CB pairing is questionable, it might be a bit concerning for the season ahead.

Longridge certainly looks better than I’ve seen him recently, and while it was a friendly, we did have most of our starters playing some. Queen’s Park looks light in the midfield, at least if Gillespie isn’t playing,  and they were missing a few starters too. Their defence is susceptible to being sliced open with accurate passing play, but they do like a pressure game with a high line and that’s inherent in that approach.

I’d certainly book them as a playoff team.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough points for post designed to wind up Falkirk fans, but…I will say that Queen’s Park look to have a decent side. Noticed the concern about Hall and the defence in general, and that’s where Queen’s kneecapped us yesterday. Two very nicely weighted crosses from the right, two beautifully executed headers for the goal. If your CB pairing is questionable, it might be a bit concerning for the season ahead.

Longridge certainly looks better than I’ve seen him recently, and while it was a friendly, we did have most of our starters playing some. Queen’s Park looks light in the midfield, at least if Gillespie isn’t playing,  and they were missing a few starters too. Their defence is susceptible to being sliced open with accurate passing play, but they do like a pressure game with a high line and that’s inherent in that approach.

I’d certainly book them as a playoff team.

It won't matter how poor they are if we're as poor as we look at the moment.  That wasn't even hearts strongest side we were playing yesterday. I've held off on a season ticket just now as it looks very much like we're getting taken for a ride with the dross already signed and the standard of trialists on show. Currently id rather have the squad we had under McKinnon than this lot.

4 hours ago, ilostmyself said:
5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:
They can only play 3 league games.
They can play any number of pre season games and friendlies. 

No league cup games?

Pretty sure no trialists allowed in any of the 3 cup competitions.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Pretty sure no trialists allowed in any of the 3 cup competitions.

It's ludicrous for the league cup. Trialists should be limited but allowed in the group stages.  Christ they  had players getting knocked out  the Scottish twice  in the one competition last season so it shouldn't be that much of a crazy idea to have trialists .

On 03/07/2021 at 15:48, Peter LaFleur said:

Not going for Hamilton still blows my mind. Lee Miller literally knew him personally through Livi but chose to sign Francis.

On 03/07/2021 at 15:42, Shadwell Dog said:

Hamilton scored goals for fun for both east Fife and Arbroath.   15 in 23 appearances for the season.  We had akeel Francis though😂😂. I very much doubt we'd have been interested. He probably didn't match our player profile or some crap excuse like that.

To be fair, we were never going to loan him to a full time team. We wanted him out playing games but mainly training with our first team at the same time. I'd imagine Miller asked about him but we refused as we wanted him PT and could get him playing at a higher level

Tiffoney as well, by all accounts, with us showed very little. There was nothing to suggest he was even decent, let alone able to fire a team to the title. Miller would've saw a young guy with pace but very little else. He missed quite a few sitters for us in his few starts

5 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yep. Simon Murray didn't play either, he'll terrorise 1st Division defences.

Well considering he'll be playing in League 1, I don't think any defences in the 1st Division will worry too much about him. 

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, we were never going to loan him to a full time team. We wanted him out playing games but mainly training with our first team at the same time. I'd imagine Miller asked about him but we refused as we wanted him PT and could get him playing at a higher level

Tiffoney as well, by all accounts, with us showed very little. There was nothing to suggest he was even decent, let alone able to fire a team to the title. Miller would've saw a young guy with pace but very little else. He missed quite a few sitters for us in his few starts

I'm sure if we'd offered livi enough cash for the loan it would've gone through. Not exactly a club that's known for turning down cash when it's offered.

As for tiffoney he was certainly rated in the scouting fraternity and McCall was that desperate to get him he sent a boy he'd not long got from rangers on loan back, to make room for him. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Glass’ comments recently regarding their options up top seems like unless they get another striker in Ruth won’t be coming to us.

When it's a striker you need to score goals and are after one that can't then bullet dodged hopefully he stays at Aberdeen. Certainly can't afford one that's a punt hoping he's going to come good. Christ we are still waiting on Keena and Dowds and there's little or no chance of that happening. 

Edited by ebobsboy

46 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Doubt they've got 2 million quid lying around for the SS.

….l.and even if it was less than half of that, all it would need is another Board huff puff, and they shut it up, and select the North Stand as the home stand. If the rental really is £75k a season, if certain guarantees were in place, £75k a year in mortgage payments would be better than renting it, but that’s a superficial view that knows nothing about the deal beyond the bleedin’ obvious.

Keena is probably going to spend most of the season injured with one thing or another.  Dowds will be lucky if he gets 6 goals all season.   The trialists we are looking at will not even be at that level.  I am trying to be positive but there is no getting round it, if we don't get a couple of strikers significantly better than those two I can't see where the goals are coming from this season.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

4 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Keena is probably going to spend most of the season injured with one thing or another.  Dowds will be lucky if he gets 6 goals all season.   The trialists we are looking at will not even be at that level.  I am trying to be positive but there is no getting round it, if we don't get a couple of strikers significantly getter than those two I can't see where the goals are coming from this season.

Significantly getter? You need to pack in ventriloquism. It just isn’t your strongpoint.

19 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

My thoughts exactly on what is required. Neilson as the centre back on loan would be ideal as he can cover RB and probably CM also.

If you were DU would you send him back to Falkirk after the shambles of April? 

8 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Keena is probably going to spend most of the season injured with one thing or another.  Dowds will be lucky if he gets 6 goals all season.   The trialists we are looking at will not even be at that level.  I am trying to be positive but there is no getting round it, if we don't get a couple of strikers significantly better than those two I can't see where the goals are coming from this season.

It’s actually frightening mate. I think this season will be a real slog.

How many players do we have signed just now ? 

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s actually frightening mate. I think this season will be a real slog.

How many players do we have signed just now ? 

The rate we're going sheerin will need to borrow someone's Costco card to get the required number of players in in time.