The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Aw come off it, if a players putting in a good cross every time he won't be playing at our level that's for sure. Morrison will be a key player for us this season and if we sign a proper striker then we'll see a much better return on his assists. We were shite last season but still the amount of chances Sammon missed was incredible.

"How can a professional footballer miss from 12 yards" 

Fans accept poor crosses way too easily. Its one of the very basics for a wide player.  Putting in a good ball 4 times of out 5 should be bread and butter to any footballer who gets paid to play. 

Even an over hit cross playing on a Sunday has me fuming. 

Some of the folk on here are unbelievable. 

Saying we should have wingers who have great delivery 80% of the time and we should be signing a proven goals scorers.

GET REAL! 

These players are playing way above League 1 level. Your relying on getting lucky and signing someone who has the potential to kick on like Shankland and Nisbet or getting someone on loan who can perform at this level. 

We won’t sign players that will get you excited, however, we need to hope that the management team can work with the squad to play exciting football that will get us promoted. 

Edited by Rocco

25 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Morrison to me would be more suited playing narrow in a front 3 or playing up front in a 2. He has pace, can dribble with the ball and has a powerful shot. His crossing is poor.

I actually agree with this. He has the ability to go past players and get in behind. Plus his finishing isn’t bad either. 

2 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Some of the folk on here are unbelievable. 

Saying we should have wingers who have great delivery 80% of the time and we should be signing a proven goals scorers.

GET REAL! 

These players are playing way above League 1 level. Your relying on getting lucky and signing someone who has the potential to kick on like Shankland and Nisbet or getting someone on loan who can perform at this level. 

We won’t sign players that will get you excited, however, we need to hope that the management team can work with the squad to play exciting football that will get us promoted. 

Think about it in isolation. You have  a winger who beats his man and 2 out of every 5 crosses are absolutely nowhere near the forwards making a run into the box. 

Would you think "aye unlucky son" or "fucksake that's the very basics of your role".

You don't have to be "playing way above League 1 level" for something that fucking basic ffs.  

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I kind of agree.  I'm not a fan of loan players, they only work if you get promoted. Otherwise it's been pointless for the club.  See Scott Allan for The Caley last season.

Yep, personally I was absolutely outraged when we signed loan players like Anthony Stokes and Kasper Schmeichel.

3 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Think about it in isolation. You have  a winger who beats his man and 2 out of every 5 crosses are absolutely nowhere near the forwards making a run into the box. 

Would you think "aye unlucky son" or "fucksake that's the very basics of your role".

You don't have to be "playing way above League 1 level" for something that fucking basic ffs.  

I understand your point but wingers who can beat a man and put in decent crosses 60% of the time are playing above this level. Most wingers at this level and even championship are all usually there because they don’t have the final ball. 

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

What I don’t understand in our current sorry situation is of us saying that we are going to be working with a signed squad of 18 players then making do with another 4 loan signings. I am assuming that we are going to be paying part of these loan player’s wages and probably having to arrange some accommodation for them if they are coming from Aberdeen, for instance?  I was always advised to buy a house instead of renting as the rent that you pay is dead money that you will never see again, whereas if you take out a mortgage and buy a property then you have secured an asset for the future. Surely us loaning (renting) players is exactly the same?  They come to our club to develop at our expense, go back to their own club a better player and have an increased value that helps their club while, if we have missed out on promotion, we get zilch in return. If we sign a couple of our own players and they improve and grow in value then that is to our benefit, not some other club.

Now, Phil Rawlins hasn’t made his millions without being an astute businessman. He must spend some of his time assessing his businesses, assets, stocks, etc. and he must know that in business you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. He needs to look at our situation and say to himself, “how much would it cost this club if we don’t get promoted”? Season ticket sales probably down from 2,500 to maybe 1,500 if we are lucky, there’s a drop in income of £200,000 for just one season for starters. And on and on as we languish in League 1. Screwing up his 5 year plan to get us into the Premiership.

Imagine the lift the whole place would get if we pushed the boat out and signed two players in a similar mould to say Declan McManus or Zak Rudden, costing us maybe £50k each, almost guaranteeing us goals at this level. That would really show that we mean business. And they would be our sellable assets.

I remember in my past as a salesman that I would be presenting new products to customers and they would be reluctant to buy the stock, saying that “I can’t afford to buy it right now”. I would often counter that argument with this response: “Can you afford not to”?  That’s where we are at, we can’t afford not to buy those two extra players.

The theory with loans I guess is that you can bring in players you otherwise wouldn't be able to attract to sign permanently.  Best examples being signings like Kasper Schmeichel or Stokes.  We're miles below bringing in Man City or Arsenal players atm but equivalent should be Rangers/Celtic/Aberdeen youngsters likely to be a cut above Craig McGuffie.  

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I understand your point but wingers who can beat a man and put in decent crosses 60% of the time are playing above this level. Most wingers at this level and even championship are all usually there because they don’t have the final ball. 

Is it too late in a footballer’s career to improve?

Or at least try to improve technique? 
I mean, it’s not all about fitness and pace surely. 
Morrison is 22 ffs. Spend 30 minutes of your precious time, just crossing the ball (to a couple of barrels), then progressing to doing so on the run, then introduce some cones to dribble through prior to crossing. 
Not a matter of days but after a few months there will be improvements…..

9 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The theory with loans I guess is that you can bring in players you otherwise wouldn't be able to attract to sign permanently.  Best examples being signings like Kasper Schmeichel or Stokes.  We're miles below bringing in Man City or Arsenal players atm but equivalent should be Rangers/Celtic/Aberdeen youngsters likely to be a cut above Craig McGuffie.  

As you say, because we are where we are we're not going to be able to get a Stokes or Schmeichel level of player any more. We're getting Deveneys and Fotheringhams who aren't going to get us out of the hole that we are in. . That's why we have to take control of our own destiny and sign our own players (but better than the "meh" we have signed to date).

Edited by Bairn in Exile

What I don’t understand in our current sorry situation is of us saying that we are going to be working with a signed squad of 18 players then making do with another 4 loan signings. I am assuming that we are going to be paying part of these loan player’s wages and probably having to arrange some accommodation for them if they are coming from Aberdeen, for instance?  
I was always advised to buy a house instead of renting as the rent that you pay is dead money that you will never see again, whereas if you take out a mortgage and buy a property then you have secured an asset for the future. Surely us loaning (renting) players is exactly the same? 

Well presented argument, BinE.

Of course, when renting if you require roof repairs, there’s no liability upon yourself.

The view of property ownership varies from country to country. I believe in Germany, renting (albeit long term) is the norm. 
Just what that’s got to do with anything though, is neither here nor there.

Edited by HonestAl

8 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

Is it too late in a footballer’s career to improve?

Or at least try to improve technique? 
I mean, it’s not all about fitness and pace surely. 
Morrison is 22 ffs. Spend 30 minutes of your precious time, just crossing the ball (to a couple of barrels), then progressing to doing so on the run, then introduce some cones to dribble through prior to crossing. 
Not a matter of days but after a few months there will be improvements…..

I think you’ve missed my point. I’m making the point that we won’t sign players who have these attributes, but we need to sign players who could improve. A lot of our fan base don’t appear to accept that though

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

I think you’ve missed my point. I’m making the point that we won’t sign players who have these attributes, but we need to sign players who could improve. A lot of our fan base don’t appear to accept that though

I’ve probably written my post badly Rocco, because I couldn’t agree more with you!

What I don’t understand in our current sorry situation is of us saying that we are going to be working with a signed squad of 18 players then making do with another 4 loan signings. I am assuming that we are going to be paying part of these loan player’s wages and probably having to arrange some accommodation for them if they are coming from Aberdeen, for instance?  I was always advised to buy a house instead of renting as the rent that you pay is dead money that you will never see again, whereas if you take out a mortgage and buy a property then you have secured an asset for the future. Surely us loaning (renting) players is exactly the same?  They come to our club to develop at our expense, go back to their own club a better player and have an increased value that helps their club while, if we have missed out on promotion, we get zilch in return. If we sign a couple of our own players and they improve and grow in value then that is to our benefit, not some other club.

Now, Phil Rawlins hasn’t made his millions without being an astute businessman. He must spend some of his time assessing his businesses, assets, stocks, etc. and he must know that in business you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. He needs to look at our situation and say to himself, “how much would it cost this club if we don’t get promoted”? Season ticket sales probably down from 2,500 to maybe 1,500 if we are lucky, there’s a drop in income of £200,000 for just one season for starters. And on and on as we languish in League 1. Screwing up his 5 year plan to get us into the Premiership.

Imagine the lift the whole place would get if we pushed the boat out and signed two players in a similar mould to say Declan McManus or Zak Rudden, costing us maybe £50k each, almost guaranteeing us goals at this level. That would really show that we mean business. And they would be our sellable assets.

I remember in my past as a salesman that I would be presenting new products to customers and they would be reluctant to buy the stock, saying that “I can’t afford to buy it right now”. I would often counter that argument with this response: “Can you afford not to”?  That’s where we are at, we can’t afford not to buy those two extra players.

"Who does your tampons?" type post imo.

The best four teams did not double up on Morrison, the just realised that he rarely went to the byline and crossed. He was more interested in cutting in and shooting from distance.

He needs to work on his final ball, otherwise his trickery is pointless.

Morrison needs to work on his final ball but to say he's not creative is a joke. He was one of the only players last season teams were scared of and hence they doubled up to try nullify him. One of the only players last season I'd have happily paid the £19 pay at the gate to watch. No wonder he only got 2/3 assists we had Sammon playing upfront the majority of the season.

41 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Yep, personally I was absolutely outraged when we signed loan players like Anthony Stokes and Kasper Schmeichel.

Were you not relegated from the SPL a year or two after they left?  Them signing did nothing for Falkirk FC.  

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Were you not relegated from the SPL a year or two after they left?  Them signing did nothing for Falkirk FC.  

That was the year we signed dads army with Neil McCann, Jackie MacNamara, Pressley etc tbf if we had signed them in their prime they might have done something but coupled with Yogi being pissed about with the club and wanting to go to Hibs etc 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Aye but that's through giving our managerial job to a complete rookie who didn't want the bloody job. Even with hindsight you won't find anyone on here that wouldn't sign those two players again.  We also brought through players like arfield at that time but we still got relegated so you could say he did very little for Falkirk either according to you

Just now, AL-FFC said:

That was the year we signed dads army with Neil McCann, Jackie MacNamara, Pressley etc tbf if we had signed them in their prime they might have done something but coupled with Yogi being pissed about with the club and wanting to go to Hibs etc 

My point was Stokes and Schmeichel going on loan to Falkirk did nothing for the fortunes of the club, they didn't get you promoted ( as you were already in tier 1) they didn't win you a LC or SC, they just played for a season and got signed by bigger clubs.  Falkirk didn't gain anything from them.

Loans are only good for a club if the players on loan elevate it.  Otherwise the rent/mortgage analogy is spot on.