The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The old Bob McHugh stat with starts versus goals, 4 goals in 7 starts is decent but let's not forget they were the only full time team in a donkey derby league. 11 appearances in total showing the reason he ended up at Queen's Park is because of injuries. He had one plucky season as a goalscorer but as it stands there is only two genuine scorers in this league and the two at Queen's park are not even close to being in that two.

I reckon if Murray's fit he'll score goals . He scored goals in the top flight so no reason he shouldn't in league one. I'll still have a bet with anyone that he'll score more than either of our current two if he doesn't get crocked.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

25 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

In the defence of our strikers our general play last season was awful. We were so disjointed and had no game plan to actually create chances other than hope Morrison beat his man. Keena especially came back from injury at a time where the team collapsed. I wouldn’t be surprised under a new manager and team if one of Dowds or Keena works out for us this season. We absolutely need more competition and quality in this area but I’m willing to give both another shot.

We struggled afore lockdown and came back worse with the worst 4-5-1 formation I've ever seen. I don't think Dowds is a striker who can fit into a 3 tbh unless he is central and I'd prefer more of a poacher in there.

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No our strikers last season made 35 starts I never at any point said it was just the two of them.  And what are you basing this much better player than McHugh on exactly apart from it being hard to be worse than McHugh although he certainly managed it last season.

McHugh has zero heart, his performance at the play off v DUFC was one of the worst I don't give a fuk performances I had seen until last season when Holt took over 

You are also forgetting McHugh was playing with the Harlem Globetrotters of the 4th division in comparing him with our strikers added our lack of leadership top to bottom

Edited by MrDust

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I reckon if Murray's fit he'll score goals . He scored goals in the top flight so no reason he shouldn't in league one. I'll still have a bet with anyone that he'll score more than either of our current two if he doesn't get crocked.

If Murray can't stay fit with a full time team against plumbers bookies joiners etc what gives you the impression he will do it a league up with better competition. He has spent long spells injured afore the ACL in 2019

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

If Murray can't stay fit with a full time team against plumbers bookies joiners etc what gives you the impression he will do it a league up with better competition. He has spent long spells injured afore the ACL in 2019

Time will tell but if he does then he'll score goals. Anyway we're getting way off the fact that we need at least two decent strikers signed asap if we're to get back to the championship. 

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Hattrick and shutout against us is a foregone conclusion.

As woeful as the 2 of them were i would say thats a given knowing us will be Durnan scoring the hatrick and Sammon with the shut out

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No our strikers last season made 35 starts I never at any point said it was just the two of them.  And what are you basing this much better player than McHugh on exactly apart from it being hard to be worse than McHugh although he certainly managed it last season.

I don't think Falkirk played 35 games last season.

I base my opinion on Keena being the better player on the fact that I've seen them both play. You say Keena managed to be worse than McHugh last season despite the fact that he was injured for most of it and got next to no service when he returned. To me he looked a natural goal scorer in the early games and I think he'll do well if he gets the chance.

50 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not saying we should sign him I'm simply saying he's better than anyone we currently have which unfortunately is true at the moment.  Dowds and Keena scored 3 between them last season.

Dowds has the potential to come good if he is 10% sharper and fitter and plays in a team that gets the ball wide - not like the long ball pish we were subjected to last season . 

You've got to hope Sheerin and Grainger will raise the performance levels compared to what M&M were getting out of the likes of Keena, Dowds, Telfer and Morrison.   

I agree with the others who say let's judge the starting XI once everyone is signed and in.  Would also love to sign a Declan McManus (for example) but don;t get the rush to write off anyone who is coming from a lower standard of football.  

Hopefully if the likes of Wilson and Robertson are dugsh*t then Sheerin will show them the door.  I seem to recall JJ signing  players from the likes of Berwick, Stenny, Musselbrugh and Cowdenbeath who all did ok.  

Regardless of if he does this or if he gets the service of if he stays fit, other than two or maybe three players at a push, we have a squad of what looks like totally bang average L1 players.

Unless we get one or two unexpected gems, this season is really going to be decided by whether or not Sheerin and Grainger can drill them into being more than the sum of the parts that we have up to now.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're going to have to sign some real head turner's to make this squad look decent. To me you do your main business early in the window and then it's just the finishing touches late on.  It's worrying that our signings so far have been bang average  in the main and we're going to be scraping about at the last minute trying to bring in a striker when all the decent ones will have sorted themselves out.

We're not going to sign head turners in the third division of Scottish football. We're also not even in July yet so we've plenty of time to get a striker in. Declan Mcmanus and Rudden both came late in the transfer window if I remember correctly.

At last, I’m starting to hear some positivity.

Completely new back room staff, mostly new players.

Apart from Miller, I’m quite excited to see what Sheerin and Grainger can get out of them.

Okay, it might go tits up but GIVE THEM A CHANCE.
If it does go badly, you can join SD on here and moan for all it’s worth.

Get along to the shop and buy ST’s. You KNOW it makes sense, and you’ll feel so much better.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

At last, I’m starting to hear some positivity.

Completely new back room staff, mostly new players.

Apart from Miller & Hall, I’m quite excited to see what Sheerin and Grainger can get out of them.

Okay, it might go tits up but GIVE THEM A CHANCE.
If it does go badly, you can join SD on here and moan for all it’s worth.

Get along to the shop and buy ST’s. You KNOW it makes sense, and you’ll feel so much better.

Fixed it for you.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

No I won’t , I know it doesn’t, and no I won’t (again).

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We're not going to sign head turners in the third division of Scottish football. We're also not even in July yet so we've plenty of time to get a striker in. Declan Mcmanus and Rudden both came late in the transfer window if I remember correctly.

Spot on this. Dont know why people think were going to come away with some wonder signings in League 1

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't think Falkirk played 35 games last season.

I base my opinion on Keena being the better player on the fact that I've seen them both play. You say Keena managed to be worse than McHugh last season despite the fact that he was injured for most of it and got next to no service when he returned. To me he looked a natural goal scorer in the early games and I think he'll do well if he gets the chance.

Keena is garbage and won’t be seen till September probably 

Edited by Back Post Misses

Noticeable that all the talk is about the lack of striking options, with nothing being said about the midfield. If Sheerin, as seems to be suggested, wants a 4-3-3, with  Hetherington as the deepest of the 3, he's presumably got plans to sign two players for the more advanced roles ahead of him. At the moment, we have no one to play in these positions. Our midfield has been complete nonsense for the past five years and if the combined knowledge of the management team, Holt and "Corzo" cannot see that an immediate, serious upgrade is required in the middle of the park, it's a complete waste of time.