The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Paton and Ross are the same age to be fair. Paton had lost his way and dropped down to league 2. I'd agree that Paton is more attractive at this moment though.

Do we actually know Paton was linked and that we paid a fee for Ross? I'm not buying random posters on here saying "I heard...".

We had agreed the fee for Paton.

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

He met with Gary Holt and thought he was a bellend.

Can just imagine Holt speaking in riddles about working down at the coal face and looking to upset the apple cart. Rocket.

29 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I don’t think Ross is a good signing but it seems highly unlikely that we paid a fee.

Far more likely that Cove have brought in Vigurs and Draper and wanted Ross off the wage bill as he won’t get a game.

Above is a fair assessment. Seb wouldn't have got close to a game. With Fyvie, Vigurs, Yule, Draper, Scully, Masson. Ross would have been 7th choice midfielder. In fact we were picking Leighton McIntosh ahead of Seb 😟

To be honest I had forgotten we had him and never added him to the squad list thread. He might turn out decent but we never really got to see much of him as only got the odd few minutes here or there at the tail end of last season.

Hopefully Sheerin has a greater pull of Aberdeen boys than Seb. We've had from Aberdeen on loan; Ngwenya, 18 year old LB, who was nowhere near the excellence of Harry Milne and Kevin Hanratty who was poor although the Dons just offered him a 3 year extension.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Here's my take on the Q&A, I thought it was generally quite positive but i do agree with others that there Deans and Holt seemed defensive.

The Rawlins' list of work done so far was fairly impressive, particularly the scouting network being established which has long been a bugbear. They really seem to know what they're doing and seemed surprised at the state of the club. The comments on infrastructure were well made. Was it a full time head of scouting and another full time head of player performance? Was this the first time that's been announced?

I'm not sure the question of the refund offer was answered that well tbh, I personally don't think the 50/50 possibility of attending a league cup game is adequate to replace 3 league games, I was interested by the question on giving a commensurate amount as shares to the fans group but didn't think that answer was clear either.

The talk on the Navy Blue investment didn't go into much actual detail for obvious reasons but seemed similar to what we've read on here, the board couldn't agree to the Navy Blues terms so talks ended. Seems normal enough but get a strong feeling that there's a lot of bitterness on both sides, not sure how that gets healed tbh.

The answers from Colin about communication didn't hold much water, if fans don't care about boardroom movements but do care about football then why is this the first we're hearing about the new scouting network, head of scouting, head of analysis and the trials for the youth teams? These are all things that fans are interested in and would love to hear.

Holt comes across like an odd character, but as someone else said he's always came across like he's on some higher plane than the rest of us idiots, not sure how that'll work with recruitment but I'm prepared to judge him on the Sporting Director job over the coming season and I'm really glad to hear we'll have 2 youth teams. Him defending us after the break last year was absolute insanity though and it's quite worrying that he thought that it was injuries that stopped us winning the league considering the writing had been on the wall for about 6 months. Absolute nonsense around strikers too.

The David Goodwillie answer was quite strong and i agree with it completely.

I really like Sheerin so far but on paper that squad is not close to being ready so these loans will have to be the real deal or we're in trouble.

Finally, to reiterate what others have said, Lewis was great throughout asking difficult questions.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Goalkeepers - Jack Hamilton, Ryan Scully? 

Hamilton is a horrific keeper, guaranteed at least -10 on your goal difference just having him between the sticks. I wouldn't be averse to Morrison coming back if we could get him. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
17 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I just hope Ross isn't an indicator of signings to come. The more I look at our squad it looks better than last year's on paper but it's still not convincing enough to have you feel really excited or confident. 

These are my exact feelings. There's no denying we've upgraded on the dross released from our squad but apart from the full back positions I can't say I'm overly excited about any of them. A quality striker is well documented as a requirement but I agree with the previous poster that we desperately need someone creative in the middle with energy to play beside Hetherington allowing Telfer to play in that number 10 position.

Mutch

Williamson - McKay - Dixon - McCann

Hetherington - Telfer

Morrison - Nesbitt - McGuffie

Keena.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I don’t think Ross is a good signing but it seems highly unlikely that we paid a fee.

Far more likely that Cove have brought in Vigurs and Draper and wanted Ross off the wage bill as he won’t get a game.

Every report on it intimates  there was a fee involved including the cove rangers one. The Paton fee was rumoured to be 10k so I wouldn't be surprised if this would be about the same.

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Do we actually know Paton was linked and that we paid a fee for Ross? I'm not buying random posters on here saying "I heard...".

Paton wasn't linked he was signed. We know this an absolute certainty because Shadwell told us. 

He also told us he has a very good source so if Shadwell says we paid a fee to Cove, then we paid a fee to Cove. That's all there is to it. 

Ndaba.jpg

Paton.jpg

source.jpg

4 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

These are my exact feelings. There's no denying we've upgraded on the dross released from our squad but apart from the full back positions I can't say I'm overly excited about any of them. A quality striker is well documented as a requirement but I also feel we desperately need someone creative in the middle with energy to play beside Hetherington allowing Telfer to play in that number 10 position.

Mutch

Hetherington - Telfer

Keena.

So far as I've said before we still haven't solved the problem of energy and legs in the middle of the park and that's been one of our main Achilles heels over the past few seasons.  You get the feeling from Holt's comments that hall and Mackay will be our first choice with Dixon as cover unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

These are my exact feelings. There's no denying we've upgraded on the dross released from our squad but apart from the full back positions I can't say I'm overly excited about any of them. A quality striker is well documented as a requirement but I also feel we desperately need someone creative in the middle with energy to play beside Hetherington allowing Telfer to play in that number 10 position.

Mutch

Hetherington - Telfer

Keena.

Somebody on the COYB page is claiming Keena's out for 6 weeks with a collarbone injury. Now normally take the COYB stuff with a pinch of salt but if true that gives us 1 recognised striker going into the first competitive game in 2 weeks. Sheerin also stated last night 4-3-3 is how he'll play so more likely to be the below.

Mutch
Williamson Mckay Dixon Mccann
Telfer Hetherington Mcguffie
Morrison Dowds Nesbitt

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Paton wasn't linked he was signed. We know this an absolute certainty because Shadwell told us. 

He also told us he has a very good source so if Shadwell says we paid a fee to Cove, then we paid a fee to Cove. That's all there is to it. 

Ndaba.jpg

Paton.jpg

source.jpg

Hows your weekend looking BB? Busy?

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Ndaba.jpg

Paton.jpg

source.jpg

I was told he had signed by a decent source . We were obviously outbid by queen's though.  As I said reports suggest we paid an undisclosed fee including coves which said he had signed 'after both clubs agreed suitable terms for the transfer' in other words agreed a fee.