The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Do you think the National league in England don't pay any better than us? I don't doubt there's talent down there to be fished at but where we are as a club right now isn't exactly a major pull to uproot your life and move north.  We'd have to get said players up for a trial as well to avoid signing a barrel of duds ala Hartley. That being said Akeel Francis was on trial twice and we still signed him.

There will be players below that level playing part time down South who could step up. Ditto tier 5 and below in Scotland.

Having a DoF should allow us to cast our net a bit wider than signing players off the merry-go-round with Morton, Ayr, QoS, Raith etc etc etc. If we are just signing players from that pool then we could have a manager doing that himself. I know there's more to Holt's role than that but recruitment is everything for every club outside the top 5 or 6 in Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There will be players below that level playing part time down South who could step up. Ditto tier 5 and below in Scotland.

Having a DoF should allow us to cast our net a bit wider than signing players off the merry-go-round with Morton, Ayr, QoS, Raith etc etc etc. If we are just signing players from that pool then we could have a manager doing that himself. I know there's more to Holt's role than that but recruitment is everything for every club outside the top 5 or 6 in Scotland.

This.

When the season eventually starts Holt needs to jump in his car and do the miles and hours that Jim Jefferies and Yogi Hughes did scouting new players for us.

There are quality players in the lower English leagues out there, Che Adams and Jamie Vardy spring to mind. Sure, they are as rare as hens teeth but they're there. And if the are on 100 quid a week part time and have self belief and ambition they might just jump at the chance to sign / play for us, especially if we sell the club to them and tell them we are a Premiership League club in the making.

No doubt I'll get criticised for this post and told that I don't understand the role of Sporting Director but that's life.

25 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Totally get that but it'll be very difficult to have scouted that level given the covid restrictions that were in place last season. The 5 that we've signed so far we obviously had lined up before Sheerin but there's nothing to say we won't get a few in who Sheerin identifies especially if his assistant is infact Danny Grainger who's been working at that level. 

Edited by FFC 1876

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

I couldn't see him coming back in all honesty that said if he struggles down there maybe a loan move in January..

He definitely won’t struggle in that league. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

As a supporter of Workington afc has Danny Grainger been confirmed yet?, if so you will be gaining an excellent coach who has transformed a relegated club with no direction to an entertaining successful team. Both seasons would have seen the team promoted but for covid ,loves to play from the back,good communicator with players and fans and cant thank him enough for the last 2 years. I expect you'll gain a few fans who like a good trip out. Good luck next season 

As a supporter of Workington afc has Danny Grainger been confirmed yet?, if so you will be gaining an excellent coach who has transformed a relegated club with no direction to an entertaining successful team. Both seasons would have seen the team promoted but for covid ,loves to play from the back,good communicator with players and fans and cant thank him enough for the last 2 years. I expect you'll gain a few fans who like a good trip out. Good luck next season 
Not yet, it was interesting that he said it was an opportunity he couldn't turn down, would coming to us as assistant be that big a jump for him?

21 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:
41 minutes ago, Whiteside said:

Not yet, it was interesting that he said it was an opportunity he couldn't turn down, would coming to us as assistant be that big a jump for him?

He always talks up Scottish football and still loves Hearts so going to Scotland he will see as a step up. In terms of standard of football  and looking at players I know I imagine Workington at the minute are a slightly better team than say Annan athletic so it is still a step up. We always thought he would leave to go to Carlisle though and a lot of their supporters I know would take him tomorrow 

21 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Think it hasn't hepled when your effective boss is sitting Colorado, who thinks she know everything about Marketing  and placing undue burden and expectations on you. Especially when she does not have a clue about what makes a 3rd tier Scottish football club tick. Probably wants popcorn, hot dogs and cheerleaders to entertain us , while all we want is a greasy pie, bovril and a winning team.

Bountybairn said - Casting aspersions about someone you don’t know, making stuff up to suit your argument.

are you Edi?

Righty Bountybairn...... whats your take on it then ?   I'll wager that you think he has something else lined up and that this has nothing to do with the Rawlins !

Don't know that much about his role but I always though the commercial side of the club was the only part that actually worked and there was sponsorship all over the stadium etc. Good luck to him and I hope it's for professional reasons rather than his health etc.

4 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Don't know that much about his role but I always though the commercial side of the club was the only part that actually worked and there was sponsorship all over the stadium etc. Good luck to him and I hope it's for professional reasons rather than his health etc.

I'm not taking anything away from KK and his ability to sell advertising, but a good part of the sponsorship and goodwill at the club was based on Totts involvement.  As soon as Gary Deans decided to discard him, it was obvious that there would be an exodus of major sponsors. Chickens coming home to roost and all that.