The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I was wondering if we got him on the cheap by offering two years and he saw it as a (last) chance to shake the injury reputation. Does anyone know if he was offered by Falkirk?

He wasn't on our initial release list, but was out of contract as was Durnan, Hall, Telfer, Kelly, Dixon. So I'd imagine he may well have been offered something. But given Dixon, Telfer, Hall all re signed 1 year deals I think it's safe to assume he would probably have been offered similar at best given his injuries. 

5 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Season ticket renewals must be around the corner within the next few weeks... will we see a signing that gets the fans excited before then? Something to show the boards intent for the season? They need to pull something off to get fans semi interested after another year of failure. 

How about a price increase? Do you think they could pull that off?

Looking at the squad as it stands now, I’d say there’s at least 9 more signings still to come.

Assuming Kelly is staying, I’d say we’re looking at least another goalkeeper, 2 defenders, a centre mid, 2 wingers and 3 strikers (I also have a feeling Keena may be for the exit).

41 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Looking at the squad as it stands now, I’d say there’s at least 9 more signings still to come.

Assuming Kelly is staying, I’d say we’re looking at least another goalkeeper, 2 defenders, a centre mid, 2 wingers and 3 strikers (I also have a feeling Keena may be for the exit).

Holt didn't seem to fancy him when he was interim manager so you may be correct. I reckon we should have a base squad of 20 players who can then be supplemented by any loans where we need to bring in a bit of quality. Hopefully Kelly's been offered a pay as you play deal and ends up elsewhere. Would leave us with 13 signed players or 12 if you exclude Sneddon which we basically did for the full of last season. Which leaves room for 8 permanent signings and below would be my preference.

Back Up Goalkeeper
Starting Left Back - Mccan's a pipe dream and Liam Dick's went elsewhere.
Young Promising Centre Back - Ndaba or O'Connor.
Box to Box Centre Midfielder - 
Two Wingers - Mcguffie & Paton(who I believe plays either there or upfront)
Two Strikers - Mcmanus & Paton.

Loans:

Fullback capable of playing right back so we never need to suffer Ben Hall playing there or Brad Mckay for that matter - Lewis Neilson please.

Centre Midfielder - Young gun full of legs - Ballantyne but he's probably going to get a crack at the championship this season. Ciaron Dickson or Ben Williamson.

Winger - Normally rife so hopefully one on the go, I wouldn't mind Fotheringham back or even Mochrie.

Striker - Just to give us another option from whatever we have signed. Dapo Mebude or Kyle Connell

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh I'd rather Dowds went than Keena and keeping Kelly is as much of an awful shout as Hall. 

23 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Tbh I'd rather Dowds went than Keena and keeping Kelly is as much of an awful shout as Hall. 

Dowds’ contract is up I think so it seems like he’s been offered another deal. I’d have been happy to see him go as he offered very little last season.

Keena also didn’t offer much last season even when fit. He clearly has more potential than Dowds but that doesn’t mean much if he’s not playing like it for us.

Dowds’ contract is up I think so it seems like he’s been offered another deal. I’d have been happy to see him go as he offered very little last season.
Keena also didn’t offer much last season even when fit. He clearly has more potential than Dowds but that doesn’t mean much if he’s not playing like it for us.
I've seen a few folk on here mention that they'd keep Keena due to his previous goalscoring record with other clubs.
Not sure whether that's one of those misconceptions that everyone assumes to be correct because other than a decent loan spell with Queens Park 3 years ago he doesn't seem to have set the heather alight anywhere else.
Not saying that he won't come good for us as Rory Loy had a pretty dreadful scoring record before coming to us the first time. Screenshot_20210608_061408.jpg

Guest Peter LaFleur
7 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Stop with the Kelly assumption, please. I’ll have serious questions of Holt if that’s the best he can come up with after failing to sign Liam Dick and inevitably Leon McCann. Even more of a meltdown if the latter stays at Airdrie. Kelly’s main issue is his lack of fitness, we simply couldn’t trust him over the course of a season meaning we’d likely have a back four with Dixon as left back. Hopefully he gets a better offer elsewhere and stinks somewhere else out.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Guest Peter LaFleur
7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

How about a price increase? Do you think they could pull that off?

You’d imagine they wouldn’t be stupid enough for that. A price freeze and the board showing real intent to get out of this league or they can wave goodbye to my money.

His spell at Dunfermline wasn’t bad either, 4 goals in 10 starts with 2 sub appearances isn’t a bad return for a 19 year old at championship level.

I wouldn’t say his scoring record is really bad at all, as you can clearly see he’s not had a good run of games for any team other that Queens Park. I think he’ll come good if we can build a team that will create chances for him.

2 hours ago, spud131 said:

I've seen a few folk on here mention that they'd keep Keena due to his previous goalscoring record with other clubs.
Not sure whether that's one of those misconceptions that everyone assumes to be correct because other than a decent loan spell with Queens Park 3 years ago he doesn't seem to have set the heather alight anywhere else.
Not saying that he won't come good for us as Rory Loy had a pretty dreadful scoring record before coming to us the first time. Screenshot_20210608_061408.jpg

From QP onwards, till he joined us, its not too shabby a scoring rate.  1 goal in every 2 games. 

2 hours ago, spud131 said:

I’m more worried about how often he plays. Looks like he averages 9 games a year which would suggest he’s injury prone.

Just now, Zbairn said:

From QP onwards, till he joined us, its not too shabby a scoring rate.  1 goal in every 2 games. 

Another where there's a player there we just didn't create anything for him. You seen in the preseason games he knew where the net was. Only thing is though he's clearly not suited to playing up top on his own.

I’m more worried about how often he plays. Looks like he averages 9 games a year which would suggest he’s injury prone.

Reading the post would probably help. 6 month loan at Queens Park, 6 month loan at Dunfermline and signed for Hartlepool only for the season to be cut short due to COVID. Nothing to do with him being injury prone

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Reading the post would probably help. 6 month loan at Queens Park, 6 month loan at Dunfermline and signed for Hartlepool only for the season to be cut short due to COVID. Nothing to do with him being injury prone

I'd be disappointed if we lose Keena, the guy's a natural finisher IMO and I don't think he'd miss many chances if we actually managed to make some for him. His scoring record isn't too bad at all really and we have no idea of how many minutes he actually spent on the pitch while scoring them.

I really don't think that we'd be able to get much better at this level.

Difficult one to call on Keena. He just has never played enough anywhere to be able to judge him properly. I wouldn't bin him but I certainly wouldn't want all our hopes resting on him either.  Fotheringham is a no go for me. Just not up to the rough and tumble of Scottish League one. We had far too many passengers in the squad last season so hopefully we'll have learned this year.