The Falkirk FC Thread

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s definitely shaping up as being Holt’s signings (for something like 70% anyway), with Sheerin having some sort of say (but maybe not the casting vote) on the rest.

If that’s the case, then Sheerin is going to feel real heat from the get go because I would imagine Holt will step back and give Deans the assurance that he has given Sheerin the resources to win the league, and now it’s Sheerin who is in the firing line.

While not on the Board, Holt’s got that “Director” tag to his job title. If things go badly, he can distance himself from Sheerin and pretty much hang him out to dry. Up to this point, I don’t think Sheerin will have had any meaningful input on signings or contract extensions.

I don't think the director tag will make a difference, many of our fans dislike Holt from his previous managerial stint and more have joined the bandwagon with his caretaker role last season.

We are Falkirk and hate everybody now also 🙂

9 hours ago, HonestAl said:

The re-signing of Ben Hall has definitely put a dampener on things. 
We are now relying on confirmation of 2 out of the 3 ‘Shadwell signings’ to restore confidence in the squad - Ndaba, McCann, Paton. 
Only then would Liam Brown be regarded as a promising type.

Maybe Sheerin has 3 or 4 loan signing targets in mind (from Aberdeen?) - a common route for League 1 clubs - but they won’t come on board until after League Cup group games.

Worrying times, actually.

McCann wasn't one of mine. Not sure who started the ball rolling on that one.

Guest Peter LaFleur
22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCann wasn't one of mine. Not sure who started the ball rolling on that one.

It came from an Airdrie fan hearing we were in for him. Banta shot it down saying Premiership and Championship clubs were also in for him so not looking likely. Hopefully we make as best an effort as possible for him and not settle for Kelly.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Guest Ecosse83

The doom and gloom on here because we have re signed one player is laughable. Well at least most have found the scapegoat for next season! 😆

3 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

The doom and gloom on here because we have re signed one player is laughable. Well at least most have found the scapegoat for next season! 😆

Hehe, I love coming 5th in league 1! It’s a great laugh isn’t it! 

16 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

If you mean Hall will be the scapegoat, then that’s unfair. A scapegoat is someone who is vilified for the mistakes of others. To be a scapegoat, Hall would have to be carrying the can for the mistakes of other players, and that certainly wasn’t the case. The guy was awful, and more of the same this coming season, and he will be ripped to pieces, but he won’t be a scapegoat.

Guest Ecosse83
25 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Hehe, I love coming 5th in league 1! It’s a great laugh isn’t it! 

Yep Hall alone made us finish 5th in League 1. 😂🤦‍♂️

Its possible that Hall might be a better player if he has someone beside him managing him through the game.  I can't imagine durnan or hall was managing the backline, and I'm not sure a full back should be trying to do that either.

8 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

Its possible that Hall might be a better player if he has someone beside him managing him through the game.  I can't imagine durnan or hall was managing the backline, and I'm not sure a full back should be trying to do that either.

He's 24 not 17 ffs. He shouldn't need managed through a game.He was murder whoever he played with last season anyway.

And to anyone saying our defence was worse without him that's because we replaced him with a couple of kids who had a handful of first team appearances between them. Hardly a surprise then that it went from being shit to even shitter.  The only player from last season that should be anywhere near our back four is Dixon and that's only if he recovers fully from a nasty injury.  Going from 5th I'm the league to winning it is a major jump bit some people seem happy to keep hold of dross we had last season for some reason.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Maybe more like the Globetrotters designated opponents, the Washington Generals. Seems a bit unlikely that there are that many games needing opponents in the area, but maybe there is a plan there…I just don’t see the viability. At least with a youth team there is more turnover in the squad as schedules move around with school, who can make a game and such, which lets you see more possible players to evaluate. With an adult team, it’s pretty much fixed once you start.

I think the plan will ultimately be to enter the development squad into a league. But we are deliberately starting slowly with this and I imagine playing exhibition games gives us much more flexibility. 

In terms of controlling costs, I would also assume that entering a league would be far more expensive (particularly as the development squad will be part time).

24 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I actually didn't mind Kelly too much either tbh. When he wasn't crocked that is. 

I'd be ok with retaining Kelly for no other reason than it creates less need to have Paul Dixon at LB, and hopefully by extension, less need for Ben Hall to get a strip.

45 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

That’s all we can hope for. Kevin Christie was an absolute bombscare until the arrival of Ivo Den Bieman. The transformation was incredible, but what IDB did was manage Christie. He made him disciplined in terms of positioning......he didn’t make him braver, or more skillful or tougher....he just brought positional discipline to his performances. 
I will never forget the 0-2 win we had at the Excelsior. Not a glut of goals, but a 90 minute performance of complete discipline and dominance all anchored by IDB and a re-born Christie.

Don’t think self discipline is Hall’s weakness, so for him to be transformed by a new sidekick isn’t impossible, but it can’t be too far off it.

Guest Peter LaFleur
34 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I actually didn't mind Kelly too much either tbh. When he wasn't crocked that is. 

Kelly was pretty meh for me. Never looked fully fit and had the physique and fitness of a pub pool player. No doubting his ability but I'd be much more comfortable with someone like Dick or McCann as our starting LB. I'd be underwhelmed if he was our first choice.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

5 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Kelly was pretty meh for me. Never looked fully fit and had the physique and fitness of a pub pool player. No doubting his ability but I'd be much more comfortable with someone like Dick or McCann as our starting LB. I'd be underwhelmed if he was our first choice.

Imo if we can get and keep Kelly fit he has the potential to be a real asset for us this season.

He has played in the premier league (something I can’t see Liam Dick doing) so clearly has ability.

Guest Peter LaFleur
6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Imo if we can get and keep Kelly fit he has the potential to be a real asset for us this season.

He has played in the premier league (something I can’t see Liam Dick doing) so clearly has ability.

Can we risk another season of an unfit player who often misses games and relying on a youth player or Dixon as left back cover? This season is massive and I wouldn’t trust him. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Both hall and Durnan have played in the premier League so clearly that does not mean for one minute that you have ability.