The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Never got the hype with Mutch, decent and much the same as most keepers in this league. Would definitely be looking at bringing in a serious competitor for this position. 

He has improved massively but it's the next step he hasn't took.

I said way back he can make world class saves but has a clanger in him, the clangers aren't as frequent but they are still there.

22 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Mentioned a few days back that Danny Rogers released by Kilmarnock.

Better than Mutch in my opinion.

His career has dropped since his first season with us and is prone to some crazy howlers, no tears shed when he left Aberdeen, St Mirren and Kilmarnock for a reason.

I'd personally say there is better out there, I'd go more for a keeper on his last year's to help Mutch and play if required to and double up as GK coach

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

His career has dropped since his first season with us and is prone to some crazy howlers, no tears shed when he left Aberdeen, St Mirren and Kilmarnock for a reason.

I'd personally say there is better out there, I'd go more for a keeper on his last year's to help Mutch and play if required to and double up as GK coach

You think you could do better than Danny Rogers in League 1? Behave.

Definitely needs to be a decent keeper to challenge Mutch. It showed last season when he was making mistakes young Cantley still couldn't get a start. Personally I thought PJ was every bit as good a keeper if not better than Mutch before he got recalled back to Motherwell. If there was a chance of getting him back on loan I wouldn't be averse to it. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With respect, I don't think the Danny Rogers of today is a patch on the Danny Rogers either of us had a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

With respect, I don't think the Danny Rogers of today is a patch on the Danny Rogers either of us had a few years ago.

He’s still better than league one level. 

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Hall I would've steered away from but let's remember the cowboys we have had in league one having the best defensive league in the division

We have a manager who should know the talents to improve us with loans from the top league, if we didn't sign Williamson I'd be 100% on Neilson, tho we may have set him back a bit on his development 😋

League one, Dixon could play centre half for years to come smoking a pack of cigars.

We had the best defensive record in this league with some truly poor players in our defence and bar last season Dixon has not had many injuries for us, a very good pro

The problem is at 35 after a long term injury we have no way of knowing what he'll be like. I have no problem with the Dixon of the last couple of years but if he were to get injured again for any length of time I'd rather have a better back up than hall.

46 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He stayed at Aberdeen far too long if you ask me. He should've taken the hint when they continually brought in loan players when their first choice was injured instead of giving him a go.  I liked him when he was with us but he never seems to have been able to nail down a first team spot elsewhere. Possibly would be looking for too high a wage mind you for us to have him and mutch on the books.

12 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I didn't see the interview but I'd find that strategy a bit baffling to be honest, and I understand you are only making assumptions.

Signing men instead of boys would suggest we'd be paying adult wages ..........for a development squad? That sounds like a reserve team playing constant friendlies which sounds strange.

Remember Fulton, Sibbald, Arfield etc were wee and skinny at some stage. I hope we stick with the plan of developing our own young players       

The reality is, as you note, that only a small percentage of players from either pool with “come good”, and you’d surely be better off with youth players (pay and size of the pool wise) than paying a pile of recycled part-time castoffs. Just as a matter of interest, have they suggested any structure or league that the development squad will be able to participate in or play against?

On 05/06/2021 at 16:00, Bairnardo said:

Well aye, not sure anything I said contradicts that tbh, think the signings so far seem ok but keeping Ben Hall is monumentally stupid. We have plenty to judge him on and he isnt what we need. 

That simply has to be a Holt imposition. Sheerin won’t have any clue as to who Hall is, or how good or bad he is. It will simply be a case of Holt saying “we need to keep him, him, him and him” with Sheerin having to accept that is what he will have to work with.....he will have had no say in anyone carried over from last season.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

His career has been on a downward spiral since his 2nd loan spell with us, he couldn't get a game for us on that 2nd spell and that has continued with his clubs onwards.

He is 27 now and will be out of the top league for sure, no one will touch him for a reason, I'd guess a championship team might take a punt but I'd bet if he is going in as first choice, that won't last. He has too many mistakes in him and for a keeper at 27yr old there will be better out there.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Rogers had it cushty at Aberdeen as a 4th or 5th choice keeper on a decent wage. He's on the decline now as he's riddled with mistakes. Which is why Killie were playing Colin Doyle instead of him. He carried one over the line earlier on in the season with Killie which sticks in my mind. Very good shot stopper but dodgy with cross balls and is probe to a clanger which is a carbon copy of how I'd describe Mutch. The difference being Mutch is 22 so gets a bit of slack for making those errors.

Guest Ecosse83

Big season for Mutch. Keep making mistakes at the rate he does and it needs to be his last season! 

Surprised at keeping Hall for another season. Hopefully he can improve a bit now Durnan is away! 

Edited by Ecosse83

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That simply has to be a Holt imposition. Sheerin won’t have any clue as to who Hall is, or how good or bad he is. It will simply be a case of Holt saying “we need to keep him, him, him and him” with Sheerin having to accept that is what he will have to work with.....he will have had no say in anyone carried over from last season.

That's a concern, Miller is absolutely done yet is still here, Dixon well he might be ok as a back up, and Hall well he's just pish. I actually don't see Connolly signing I think he'll be away especially since we now have Nesbitt, Morrison, Telfer and possibly McGuffie coming in. Kelly simply hasn't done enough to deserve a new contract so you'd hope he'd be away too. 

5 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

That's a concern, Miller is absolutely done yet is still here, Dixon well he might be ok as a back up, and Hall well he's just pish. I actually don't see Connolly signing I think he'll be away especially since we now have Nesbitt, Morrison, Telfer and possibly McGuffie coming in. Kelly simply hasn't done enough to deserve a new contract so you'd hope he'd be away too. 

Telfer shouldn't affect whether Connolly stays or not as Connolly's a winger. Also if he fancies himself as better than the other three you have mentioned why wouldn't he stay. Agree on Kelly but he's clearly been offered a new deal which is disappointing, he's calm and composed on the ball but he very rarely makes it up the park and also looks to be breathing out his arse.

It’s definitely shaping up as being Holt’s signings (for something like 70% anyway), with Sheerin having some sort of say (but maybe not the casting vote) on the rest.

If that’s the case, then Sheerin is going to feel real heat from the get go because I would imagine Holt will step back and give Deans the assurance that he has given Sheerin the resources to win the league, and now it’s Sheerin who is in the firing line.

While not on the Board, Holt’s got that “Director” tag to his job title. If things go badly, he can distance himself from Sheerin and pretty much hang him out to dry. Up to this point, I don’t think Sheerin will have had any meaningful input on signings or contract extensions.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s definitely shaping up as being Holt’s signings (for something like 70% anyway), with Sheerin having some sort of say (but maybe not the casting vote) on the rest.

Up to this point, I don’t think Sheerin will have had any meaningful input on signings or contract extensions.

Sheerin was very clear in his interview that he has the final say on signings and he has already vetoed a number of the names on Holt’s list.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

The reality is, as you note, that only a small percentage of players from either pool with “come good”, and you’d surely be better off with youth players (pay and size of the pool wise) than paying a pile of recycled part-time castoffs. Just as a matter of interest, have they suggested any structure or league that the development squad will be able to participate in or play against?

Yeah I think the assumption made is extremely unlikely. What adult footballers are going to want to play in a development squad , and are FFC really going to pay another full team's worth of adult footballer level wages whilst playing friendlies? It's been said this team will not play in any league and will instead play friendlies and exhibition matches - a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters.