The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Happy to give Sheerin a chance and he has been discussed in depth on here for ages.

Turning to those 4 signings

Mutch

Williamson McKay Hall Dixon

Morrison Hetherington Alston Nesbitt

Dowds Keena

There better be other players coming in because that looks absolutely shite to me.

There's a bunch of freed Ross County players who would improve that team no bother. 

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

Guest Caractacus Potts

Good luck to Paul Sheerin.

He may do well but it really is an uninspiring signing and definitely a risky one given his lack of experience in the role.  

11 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Dowds and Keena won't do for me up front. Not saying they are bad players but not enough goals in them. Plenty of time for signings though.

Hopefully a fully fit Keena will improve this season and sometimes it takes a part time player time to settle, don't think Dowds is a goalscorer though. 

Obviously some more players to come in and some in that posted 11 gone...please

We could do with a real good decent signing or two in but let's be honest we ended the season as a laughing stock and the players coming in are the norm for recent seasons.

Edited by MrDust

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Hopefully a fully fit Keena will improve this season and sometimes it takes a part time player time to settle, don't think Dowds is a goalscorer though. 

Obviously some more players to come in and some in that posted 11 gone.

We could do with a real good decent signing or two in but let's be honest we ended the season as a laughing stock and the players coming in are the norm for recent seasons.

Yeah, as I say I think both are decent players and can do a job but we definitely need to add more goals to the squad. Mind you we need to add defenders, creative midfielders and a confident keeper as well. 

We just need to add 😁

11 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Dowds and Keena won't do for me up front. Not saying they are bad players but not enough goals in them. Plenty of time for signings though.

Both players appear to have issues with fitness* & confidence so, considering he has a couple of months to work with them, will provide early indicators of Sheerin's ability. 

*Kenna: injuries, Dowds: pies.

31 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

No offence but that's birthday caird pish. Dreadful, meh appointment. 

Things we'll never hear from any new signings: "I came here to play for the manager" (coach).

He's a nobody.

We're fooked.

So what’s the alternative as the usual suspects don’t fill anyone with joy and idont think Zidane gave up the Real Madrid gig to apply for the Falkirk job so the aim was bottom of the barrel and Zidane and he’s as realisation and an out of the box appointment we could have asked for

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Absolutely baffled someone has went to the time and effort to create that. I can’t say a tweet announcement bothers me in the slightest. 

2 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Absolutely baffled someone has went to the time and effort to create that. I can’t say a tweet announcement bothers me in the slightest. 

Poor from Aberdeen imo.

6 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Poor from Aberdeen imo.

Not really, these things are always co-ordinated. Wouldn't surprise me if we'd dropped the ball and forgot.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think Keena's a natural finisher and would score plenty with the right service. Dowd's is more of a partner to the main striker but would probably score around 10 a season in a winning team.

That said, we obviously need another couple of strikers in and the aim should be to improve on what we have. Whether that's possible in our current circumstances is another question.

I think Keena has something to offer next season providing he stays fit, always felt that he was getting the ball in the wrong area of the pitch/having to drop deep due to the lack of link play between our midfield and strikers. An issue that's probably made more glaring by the 442 that we have played quite a lot recently.

From what I can see Sheerin's preferred system is a 4231 (no doubt this will get the pitchforks going for a couple of you), possibly something that Holt has looked at in the appointment considering he has previously said that he always wants a 6, an 8 and a 10 on the park which this system would allow. Ideally playing a 10 will allow us to get someone closer to both the midfield and striker/s meaning the striker/s pick up the ball about 10 yards further forward where they can hopefully do damage. Now providing that Telfer has both legs come pre-season which is something that our AWOL ITK CC52FFC seems to think is unlikely I think he can make this role his own.

Not a clue how exactly Sheerin plays this formation but it definitely offers the most balance, hence why it's used so often throughout football. Plenty signings still required however.

23 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

So what’s the alternative as the usual suspects don’t fill anyone with joy and idont think Zidane gave up the Real Madrid gig to apply for the Falkirk job so the aim was bottom of the barrel and Zidane and he’s as realisation and an out of the box appointment we could have asked for

For the last 7 years all he has been doing is coaching kids, under relatively no pressure. He is coming to Falkirk where he had better get us out of this league at the first time of asking - can he handle that? There must have been somebody else out there with more recent experience of managing a first team when results matter? Not a same old, same old, maybe somebody in the lower English leagues, National League, National League North / South?

I will be delighted to be proven wrong  and Sheerin does the business for us.

44 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Given they are prepared to invest double what the Rawlins have, I’d say their demands are entirely realistic.

So what are we saying here?  Anyone should be able to pop along at any time and take control if they have money behind them?  

The Rawlins project hasn't even got out the blocks yet and you expect him to hand over decision making to a fans group - that's just not realistic.  He got in there first, made his investment and now expects some time to do things his way rather than being forced into having to make decisions by committee.  

Remember for the last few years we've been desperate for someone competent to take over decision making.  Rawlins has shown nothing yet to show us he can do that but his credentials are better than a group of local businessmen and he has earned the right to be given that chance no? 

For the last 7 years all he has been doing is coaching kids, under relatively no pressure. He is coming to Falkirk where he had better get us out of this league at the first time of asking - can he handle that? There must have been somebody else out there with more recent experience of managing a first team when results matter? Not a same old, same old, maybe somebody in the lower English leagues, National League, National League North / South?

New Eddie May?

13 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

So what are we saying here?  Anyone should be able to pop along at any time and take control if they have money behind them?  

The Rawlins project hasn't even got out the blocks yet and you expect him to hand over decision making to a fans group - that's just not realistic.  He got in there first, made his investment and now expects some time to do things his way rather than being forced into having to make decisions by committee.  

Remember for the last few years we've been desperate for someone competent to take over decision making.  Rawlins has shown nothing yet to show us he can do that but his credentials are better than a group of local businessmen and he has earned the right to be given that chance no? 

He's only bought 26 percent of the shares FFS. It's not as if he has 51 percent or i'd perhaps agree with you.  26 percent shouldn't give him the ability to fob off a fans investment without the other 74 percent having some kind of say in it especially when it's a sizeable sum. Since when did it become fecking Rawlins fc? 

12 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Look at the players we got from the English lower leagues under Project hartley can you imagine the meltdown if we appointed the managerial equivalent of Dennon Lewis though, need someone with a bit of knowledge of the Scottish game there are probably up and coming managers that applied but the same time were too much of a risk (we done that with M and M and look what happened).  Realistically as much as it seems uninspiring its better than the usual suspects and is less of a gamble than another M and M style appointment.

Happy to give Sheerin a chance and he has been discussed in depth on here for ages.

Turning to those 4 signings

Mutch

Williamson McKay Hall Dixon

Morrison Hetherington Alston Nesbitt

Dowds Keena

There better be other players coming in because that looks absolutely shite to me.

Really don’t want to sound as moany as some of the c***s on the last few pages but a centre half partnership of Brad McKay and Ben Hall is fucking terrifying.

They both (and Durnan as well) need to be played alongside a partner that can actually defend and tell them what to do.

Decent appointment in our lowly league position. Good coaching experience and knowledge of Scottish game. Probably looking for more of a challenge than coaching kids. We'll he's definitely going to have a challenge on his hands