The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur
4 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I think I put forward pretty good reasons for him not applying. Forgot to add that the job he is currently in is with a club a league above too. 

I’ll ask again in case you misread my previous post. Do you know for a fact he never applied?

1 minute ago, Peter LaFleur said:

I’ll ask again in case you misread my previous post. Do you know for a fact he never applied?

Clearly neither of us have facts so what’s the point in continuing this narrative? I’m making an opinion based on what has been reported and things that are factual as is common on forums. As you said ultimately we all want the same thing so regardless who applied or not let’s just hope Sheerin, if he’s given the role, gets us back to where we should be 

All over Dons social sites that Sheerin has left the club, most dandies saying he done very well for the club, so if it’s for our gig, wishing the guy all the best. The more you look at the (reported) choice of candidates it’s maybe a decent shout. 
As said it’s all about the players, and getting us out of this league. 
What a task.......

Could be heading to ICT?

Guest Peter LaFleur
Just now, Van_damage said:

Clearly neither of us have facts so what’s the point in continuing this narrative? I’m making an opinion based on what has been reported and things that are factual as is common on forums. As you said ultimately we all want the same thing so regardless who applied or not let’s just hope Sheerin, if he’s given the role, gets us back to where we should be 

So no. You’re looking for faults and problems without any facts which is a dangerous game to play. 

4 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

A lot of posters on here ultimately want the same end goal of shifting the two main shareholders out of the club with a fans group in place. I think everyone would love this to happen. However; constantly peddling a negative narrative on absolutely everything is tiresome to read. The genuine posts start losing credibility which is a shame.

While a fan group would be far better than the set up we currently have, it wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd much rather have a single owner (Geoff Brown type) though it would clearly need to be someone who knows what they're doing (preferably with deep pockets) 

Fans groups occasionally work but can also become rife with ego and cliques.  

Like the manager role there are no guarantees of success at board level though we seem to be more incapable than most at balancing the bad times with some good.  

15 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

So no. You’re looking for faults and problems without any facts which is a dangerous game to play. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/hamilton-boss-brian-rice-no-24152261.amp

‘We spoke to Brian about it but Brian had no interest in speaking to Falkirk and we had no interest in speaking to Falkirk either.’

Plenty of sticks to beat the board with but I don't see the current manager search as one of them tbh. They've asked people to apply and sounded out a couple of other candidates, all standard stuff.
The names we have interviewed or been linked with aren't exactly world-beaters but they're also pretty much exactly the people who we all thought would be likely to apply to the job when we punted M&M.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

While a fan group would be far better than the set up we currently have, it wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd much rather have a single owner (Geoff Brown type) though it would clearly need to be someone who knows what they're doing (preferably with deep pockets) 

Fans groups occasionally work but can also become rife with ego and cliques.  

Like the manager role there are no guarantees of success at board level though we seem to be more incapable than most at balancing the bad times with some good.  

Personally I’d like all fans to be given the opportunity to buy shares. However, I don’t think this needs to be done through any form of group or consortium. 

These groups often turn into ego contests and I’m not sure that just handing control over to fans’ reps or similar would be much of an improvement.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

54 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d like all fans to be given the opportunity to buy shares. However, I don’t think this needs to be done through any form of group or consortium. 

These groups often turn into ego contests and I’m not sure that just handing control over to fans’ reps or similar would be much of an improvement.

....and that tends to be fine as wee certificates to pin on the wall, but nothing more than that. I don’t see “handing over control to fans reps” as an inevitable end game of fans/local groups owning significant amounts of shares, and nor do I see such groups being more of an ego competition than anyone else. There are plenty of egos at play within FFC today, right now.

Its lots of little individual shareholdings with no commonality of purpose that allows larger singular holdings to do as they please (good or bad).

Just keep in mind that being on the Board while not holding a majority of shares is licence to do pretty much as you please with little meaningful resistance. For now, being on the Board with a 26% shareholding and having absolute control over who can buy or sell shares really is a licence to do good stuff for sure, but is also capable of doing lots of things really badly. Fill the board with others willing to do your bidding, and then you really do have a club in a precarious place with spin being the day to day tool of choice.

If that doesn’t sound familiar, then for me, you need to look a bit closer. Though I appreciate that for many, it’s of no great interest.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Sheerin has more of a track record of success as a manager than Rice or Kettlewell for example, both of whom have nothing but failure on their record as managers.

Let's see where we are with Sheerin after 9-12 games. 

I should note as well that allowing Sheerin some leeway to get things right on the park is not wiping the slate clean for the shambolic way the club has been run for years. Not a penny off me until there is serious change in the ownership of the club (ie substantial fan ownership and involvement and/or Ritchie and Superfan out the door).

Considering where we finished, 9-12 games in, you could only look for a team with a semblance of game plan, effort, togetherness, style, belief, whilst getting the support behind them; with hopefully results following. To make the play off in the first season would be an improvement &, by that time, hopefully capable of making the jump up. ANY advance on that would be a MAJOR accomplishment, in the first year.

Sheerin was our choice back in 2017 apparently but we refused to pay Aberdeen a release fee or whatever it was. So we went for our 2nd choice, Robbo.

On 21/05/2021 at 17:04, Dawson Park Boy said:

I don’t think the Langlees Rangers lads invested serious cash in their football club.

In addition to his shares (basically a gift)he has given substantial  loans as and when needed and has written off part of those loans.

You may not like MR or SA but they have put in substantial amounts of cash into the club.

They undoubtedly have put in lots of cash although S A donating money to build a stand we arguably didn’t need has transpired to be a milestone round our necks. 

Fans don’t care who put in what cash or why they just want to go home happy on a Saturday night. They want the owners to be 100% committed to success  - that is where the disconnect is and where our problems 
Lie understandably SA and MR have had enough they should accept they have made terrible decisions in respect of the running of the club and stand aside or we are in danger of becoming the Scottish Sunderland 

4 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Hamilton leaked to the press. I’d say Rice was on par with Sheerin for choice as in Rice was only asked to interview which Hamilton rejected. Hardly a mess on Falkirk's part?

The fact the bod didn't even know he'd just signed a new contract with Hamilton is highly incompetent if you ask me and reeks of the whole McKinnon affair.

5 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

They undoubtedly have put in lots of cash although S A donating money to build a stand we arguably didn’t need has transpired to be a milestone round our necks

Fans don’t care who put in what cash or why they just want to go home happy on a Saturday night. They want the owners to be 100% committed to success  - that is where the disconnect is and where our problems 
Lie understandably SA and MR have had enough they should accept they have made terrible decisions in respect of the running of the club and stand aside or we are in danger of becoming the Scottish Sunderland 

Just shows us how far we have to go.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact the bod didn't even know he'd just signed a new contract with Hamilton is highly incompetent if you ask me and reeks of the whole McKinnon affair.

Didn't someone say he hadn't actually signed it yet? Might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Didn't someone say he hadn't actually signed it yet? Might be wrong.

The rumours are  there is a clause in it which meant they could part company if relegated. He ain't going to activate that though for an interview that's for sure. If he had been actually offered the job I fully expect he would be in post now but that was never the case.

Edited by Shadwell Dog