Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Agreed. The main problem is the last three managerial appointments have been absolute car crashes leaving me with little faith in the club to call this one right.

100 applications carrying out due diligence and drawing up a short list. Must be a short lit then ! - zero -

That's why they asked to speak to Rice.

Once again we f***ked up.  Whoever gets the job from a now revised short list will be in no doubt they are very much the 2nd choice.

That will be in the background of their mind and we will be looking for a new manager by the end of the season if not before.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Do any of us honestly expect them to deliver us a decent manager/coach.

No your right but this is plumbing new depths even for us. We'd be better off with this boy.

 

download.jpeg-7.jpg

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheerin has come out of left field but maybe wouldn't be the worst choice.

Hear me out...

McInnes took him to Aberdeen in 2014.  Since then he's been in charge of their under 20s - won the development league in his first season and made the youth cup final in 2018.  

Hardly pep levels of success but assuming he's a good coach (certainly trusted by McInnes) then he fits the 'head coach' remit.  You'd like to think he'd know all about the talent in the development league and so maybe good for some decent loans.  

Looks increasingly unlikely there'll be an exciting left field candidate so after we've looked into dross like McCann and Rice, this might not be the worst option.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still far rather have someone who'd bring a bit of excitement but we seem to be scraping the barrel here so trying to look at the positives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sheerin has come out of left field but maybe wouldn't be the worst choice.

Hear me out...

McInnes took him to Aberdeen in 2014.  Since then he's been in charge of their under 20s - won the development league in his first season and made the youth cup final in 2018.  

Hardly pep levels of success but assuming he's a good coach (certainly trusted by McInnes) then he fits the 'head coach' remit.  You'd like to think he'd know all about the talent in the development league and so maybe good for some decent loans.  

Looks increasingly unlikely there'll be an exciting left field candidate so after we've looked into dross like McCann and Rice, this might not be the worst option.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still far rather have someone who'd bring a bit of excitement but we seem to be scraping the barrel here so trying to look at the positives.

We're through the bottom of the barrell and scraping the concrete below with appointments like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sheerin has come out of left field but maybe wouldn't be the worst choice.

Hear me out...

McInnes took him to Aberdeen in 2014.  Since then he's been in charge of their under 20s - won the development league in his first season and made the youth cup final in 2018.  

Hardly pep levels of success but assuming he's a good coach (certainly trusted by McInnes) then he fits the 'head coach' remit.  You'd like to think he'd know all about the talent in the development league and so maybe good for some decent loans.  

Looks increasingly unlikely there'll be an exciting left field candidate so after we've looked into dross like McCann and Rice, this might not be the worst option.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still far rather have someone who'd bring a bit of excitement but we seem to be scraping the barrel here so trying to look at the positives.

I was just about to post something similar, his last management stint was right at the end of his playing career, since then he's gained coaching experience under a reasonably successful management team, managed their under 20s team and was interim boss for a couple of games.

Don't think it's inspiring or anything but it does seem to fit that head coach remit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

100 applications carrying out due diligence and drawing up a short list. Must be a short lit then ! - zero -
That's why they asked to speak to Rice.
Once again we f***ked up.  Whoever gets the job from a now revised short list will be in no doubt they are very much the 2nd choice.
That will be in the background of their mind and we will be looking for a new manager by the end of the season if not before.
 
3rd behind McCann and Rice surely?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sod it, might as well give Sheerin a shot, it isn't like our goals are achievable anyway (building a successful team, in just over 2 months, from an utter carcass of a club while being answerable to Gary fucking Holt).

Whoever gets the jobs needs a minimum of 18 months before being judged, such is the rancid state of us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/05/2021 at 14:49, Darkness78 said:

What about Tam Courts or Paul Sheerin?

Both relatively young with previous successes as managers at Kelty and Arbroath, and currently top tier with Dundee United and Aberdeen

I first suggested Paul Sheerin as a possible candidate back on 5th May, along with Tam Courts.

I think either would be decent appointments for Falkirk with good contacts in the Premiership youth setups which could bring in hungry young players instead of the journey men that Falkirk have failed with in the recent past

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

You’re entitled to your opinion and evidently nothing I say will change that, but I disagree on so many levels. It tells you everything you need to know about Alexander and Ritchie that they continue to stink the place out despite knowing how large sections of the fanbase feel about them. Stubborn, arrogant old men who show the fans nothing but contempt. They have monumentally failed this Club and will continue to do so until they relinquish their power and fu*k off.

Not convinced either are supporters. I’ve heard from various people that Ritchie isn’t a football man, you can tell that just by looking at him to be honest. As much as Alexander claims to be one, he could’ve changed our fortunes at any point over the last few years. “Why should he?” people ask. Well simply put, he’s a multi-millionaire...that’s what I’d expect of a “superfan” with that sort of wealth let alone a majority shareholder. He’d rather charge the Club rent for the South Stand and over inflated interest rates on soft loans though. Can’t provide proof, but that’s information I’ve gathered over the years from people I trust. 

If neither of them have any interest in investing in the Club any further, sell their shares, piss off to their holiday homes and allow real Falkirk men to take the Club forward. They won’t do that though, instead they’ll continue to stick two fingers up at those pesky fans who dare to question their leadership. They have repeatedly knocked back investment opportunities from fans and less than two years ago entertained Mark Campbell for 14 weeks whilst rejecting the fan ownership proposal from Back the Bairns. Was that in the Clubs best interests? Utterly shameful stuff. 

Fast forward to now - different Chairman and different Board members, but still the same old problems. Self-interest at the forefront of everything they do. It’s not my place to elaborate any further but I hope their actions are exposed very soon.

You are correct - I believe that Ritchie is a good guy and remains a supporter but is no longer prepared to bust a gut for the club . I suspect Alexander is similar- The problem is that they are competing against club owners who live and breathe their club. 
They would have sold their shares long ago but nobody is prepared to buy- “who would”  it’s money down the drain almost to be guaranteed. Appointing a bunch of accountants/ consultants  to run the club is an understandable but underwhelming move that can only lead to one thing - boring boring football in the style of those appointed. No surprise here accountants are not leaders by nature - they  sure they will talk a good game keep the books right and I’m sure genuinely want us to do well - but without a driven leader who’s committed and has his own cash in the game we cannot compete. George Fulton was a bampot and a disaster in many ways but oh what I’d give for the excitement of his tenure if we could just miss out the going bust bit.So sadly I don’t think it matters a jot who the manager is we are destined to be pish until our ageing benefactors snuff it. Sad but unfortunately true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Darkness78 said:

I first suggested Paul Sheerin as a possible candidate back on 5th May, along with Tam Courts.

I think either would be decent appointments for Falkirk with good contacts in the Premiership youth setups which could bring in hungry young players instead of the journey men that Falkirk have failed with in the recent past

I’m all for Tam Courts. The pies would be fucking brilliant and who doesn’t love a trip to Burntisland in the summer !!

8231E9B9-633E-4E57-B8B6-6407C136D99D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I was just about to post something similar, his last management stint was right at the end of his playing career, since then he's gained coaching experience under a reasonably successful management team, managed their under 20s team and was interim boss for a couple of games.

Don't think it's inspiring or anything but it does seem to fit that head coach remit.

There'll be noone in the ground to judge then anyway if this is the level of appointment we're looking at.  A lot of people's season ticket money will be staying firmly within their pockets  if they appoint someone like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

They would have sold their shares long ago but nobody is prepared to buy- “who would”  it’s money down the drain almost to be guaranteed.. 

People are prepared to buy them. The trouble is they keep pissing folk about. I don’t think they have any interest in selling them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that they wouldn’t want the club to do well. * Go back a page!

 

The point is that our current board is failing and in from my experiences I think there has to be a big change for us to move forward. That may make me someone with an axe to grind in your book but the only way to avoid that label is by saying nothing negative against the club. I’ve done that for over a year though so not going to continue although I’m still fair enough to give credit where it’s due. There’s just not a lot to go round at the moment! 

I'm not suggesting that you have an axe to grind - far from it- but there are folk that post on here that seem to have turned against the club or, as I say, are making mischief. Some of the stuff that I'm reading is starting to turn previously rational posters into angry men and woman. Look at the stuff regarding Paul Sheerin for example. I fail to see how the BOD can be blamed for someone that the fans don't rate applying for the job but thatis apparently all of the board's fault. I'm no apologist for them, we most certainly need change and new blood with fans who have the best interests of the club to get involved, but we need to keep a sense of perspective. Some posters would be shouting the odds at the BOD because the cleaner had forgotten to clean the last bog in the row!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm not suggesting that you have an axe to grind - far from it- but there are folk that post on here that seem to have turned against the club or, as I say, are making mischief. Some of the stuff that I'm reading is starting to turn previously rational posters into angry men and woman. Look at the stuff regarding Paul Sheerin for example. I fail to see how the BOD can be blamed for someone that the fans don't rate applying for the job but thatis apparently all of the board's fault. I'm no apologist for them, we most certainly need change and new blood with fans who have the best interests of the club to get involved, but we need to keep a sense of perspective. Some posters would be shouting the odds at the BOD because the cleaner had forgotten to clean the last bog in the row!

I think fans are quite right to complain at the bod for screwing up the rice approach and then a day or so later deciding that someone with a completely different record in management to rice is suddenly the right man for the job.  This bod need to go. They are clueless and the sooner Rawlins realises that and gets them to feck the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

You’re entitled to your opinion and evidently nothing I say will change that, but I disagree on so many levels. It tells you everything you need to know about Alexander and Ritchie that they continue to stink the place out despite knowing how large sections of the fanbase feel about them. Stubborn, arrogant old men who show the fans nothing but contempt. They have monumentally failed this Club and will continue to do so until they relinquish their power and fu*k off.

Not convinced either are supporters. I’ve heard from various people that Ritchie isn’t a football man, you can tell that just by looking at him to be honest. As much as Alexander claims to be one, he could’ve changed our fortunes at any point over the last few years. “Why should he?” people ask. Well simply put, he’s a multi-millionaire...that’s what I’d expect of a “superfan” with that sort of wealth let alone a majority shareholder. He’d rather charge the Club rent for the South Stand and over inflated interest rates on soft loans though. Can’t provide proof, but that’s information I’ve gathered over the years from people I trust. 

If neither of them have any interest in investing in the Club any further, sell their shares, piss off to their holiday homes and allow real Falkirk men to take the Club forward. They won’t do that though, instead they’ll continue to stick two fingers up at those pesky fans who dare to question their leadership. They have repeatedly knocked back investment opportunities from fans and less than two years ago entertained Mark Campbell for 14 weeks whilst rejecting the fan ownership proposal from Back the Bairns. Was that in the Clubs best interests? Utterly shameful stuff. 

Fast forward to now - different Chairman and different Board members, but still the same old problems. Self-interest at the forefront of everything they do. It’s not my place to elaborate any further but I hope their actions are exposed very soon.

Pretty much my thoughts. I think you are spot on with MR. 

I would tend to disagree about SA though....not on all points though. I think he had good intentions, but then decided to sit on the fence and let other people make decisions that had a significant adverse impact on the club. The stubborn bit then came into play when he had to be seen backing his horses, particularly Doug Henderson. I have heard that he is looking at a way of gifting shares to the fans but there are obstacles in the way. Hopefully it will all come out shortly.

as per the South Stand you have a point....but without SA’s cash there would be no stand. Even a millionaire doesn’t spend around £1.2 million without some payback. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...