The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Both Phil and Carrie Rawlins are on the board of directors.

And are currently presiding over this absolute mess of a search for a manager. Also happy to hand the job to someone on a whim. A good youth coach he may but so was Graeme Murty, Kenny McDowall, Willie McStay and Eddie May. He may do well but his appointment is a gamble and clearly not even our main target(though expect another botched PR attempt to say otherwise). 

The Rawlins were crediting Gary Deans when we were 6 points clear but he appears to be blameless for where we ended up. If things don’t improve then the looking glass will start shifting towards them. That’s if it hasn’t already. 

Guest Ecosse83
38 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

And are currently presiding over this absolute mess of a search for a manager. Also happy to hand the job to someone on a whim. A good youth coach he may but so was Graeme Murty, Kenny McDowall, Willie McStay and Eddie May. He may do well but his appointment is a gamble and clearly not even our main target(though expect another botched PR attempt to say otherwise). 

The Rawlins were crediting Gary Deans when we were 6 points clear but he appears to be blameless for where we ended up. If things don’t improve then the looking glass will start shifting towards them. That’s if it hasn’t already. 

Absolute mess of a search for a manager? In what way has it been a mess? 

Anybody who was paying attention understood it was always going to be a coach, not a manager. The club saying it from the start was a bit of a hint. McCann is rated as a coach according to some players so it makes sense to sound him out. Reid must have applied. If a manager from the Premiership applies and is therefore happy to work under Holt, then it makes sense for the club to look into it and the proper way is to ask Hamilton's permission. I think that whole episode says more about what's going on behind the scenes at Hamilton than at Falkirk. 

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Absolute mess of a search for a manager? In what way has it been a mess? 

Depends on your perspective but as I’ve mentioned, in my opinion, you only sound someone out if you want them for the job. Also if you are doing that you want to make sure they would be interested first and try to keep it from going public.

McCann was sounded out, he wasn’t interested, it went public.

Rice was identified, we approached Hamilton, it was rejected, it went public. 

Third option is Paul Sheerin. He may well be good but his managerial record isn’t brilliant so it’s a huge gamble that we can ill afford. 

We lauded the applicants from all across the globe yet we sought people outside that process so it doesn’t say much for those who applied. 

Again, we can discuss whether or not it’s unusual to ask people to apply but to me it’s belittling to reach out to someone and say they’ll need to apply to be considered. It’s no wonder these stories are being leaked if that’s our approach. 

Edited by Guest

McCann's a media hoor so it's no surprise he told his pals right away. It wasn't Rice who went public, it was Hamilton. You'd have to ask them why they issued such a loud "hands off" for a manager who just relegated them. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Depends on your perspective but as I’ve mentioned in my opinion you only sound someone out if you want them for the job. Also if you are doing that you want to make sure they would be interested first and try to keep it from going public.

McCann was sounded out, he wasn’t interested, it went public.

Rice was identified, we approached Hamilton, it was rejected, it went public. 

Third option is Paul Sheerin. He may well be good but his managerial record isn’t brilliant so it’s a huge gamble that we can ill afford. 

We lauded the applicants from all across the globe yet we sought people outside that process so it doesn’t say much for those who applied. 

Again, we can discuss whether or not it’s unusual to ask people to apply but to me it’s belittling to reach out to someone and say they’ll need to apply to be considered. It’s no wonder these stories are being leaked if that’s our approach. 

Hamilton leaked to the press. I’d say Rice was on par with Sheerin for choice as in Rice was only asked to interview which Hamilton rejected. Hardly a mess on Falkirk's part?

Just now, Peter LaFleur said:

Hamilton leaked to the press. I’d say Rice was on par with Sheerin for choice as in Rice was only asked to interview which Hamilton rejected. Hardly a mess on Falkirk's part?

If that’s your opinion then fair enough but I’d say we don’t approach someone in a job unless they want the job and unless we definitely want him.

There’s enough people around Falkirk who know Brian to confirm whether he’d be good or not so I don’t get why approaching Hamilton to ask him for an interview is not a mess? 

4 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

McCann's a media hoor so it's no surprise he told his pals right away. It wasn't Rice who went public, it was Hamilton. You'd have to ask them why they issued such a loud "hands off" for a manager who just relegated them. 

Not sure what you’re getting at? Maybe you also have to ask why they gave him a new one year extension just a month ago when they were relegation fodder? 

Sheerin has more of a track record of success as a manager than Rice or Kettlewell for example, both of whom have nothing but failure on their record as managers.

Let's see where we are with Sheerin after 9-12 games. 

I should note as well that allowing Sheerin some leeway to get things right on the park is not wiping the slate clean for the shambolic way the club has been run for years. Not a penny off me until there is serious change in the ownership of the club (ie substantial fan ownership and involvement and/or Ritchie and Superfan out the door).

Guest Peter LaFleur
18 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

If that’s your opinion then fair enough but I’d say we don’t approach someone in a job unless they want the job and unless we definitely want him.

There’s enough people around Falkirk who know Brian to confirm whether he’d be good or not so I don’t get why approaching Hamilton to ask him for an interview is not a mess? 

Surely Rawlins would want an interview to go through in detail his footballing philosophy and what he would bring to the club? If he had failed you would have been on here roaring about the club being a mess handing jobs out with no interview process to give all candidates an equal opportunity to impress. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not sure what you’re getting at? Maybe you also have to ask why they gave him a new one year extension just a month ago when they were relegation fodder? 

The point is it's more than likely the first Falkirk knew of Rice's interest was when he applied for the job. What are they meant to do when a Premiership manager applies for the job? 

Falkirk have done nothing wrong in their process to find a new coach. Those with a clear agenda are saying different because they've a clear agenda - quite telling that most of them only joined the board in the last few days. 

Just now, Peter LaFleur said:

Surely Rawlins would want an interview to go through in detail his footballing philosophy and what he would bring to the club? If he had failed you would have been on here roaring about the club being a mess handing jobs out with no interview process giving all candidates an equal chance to impress. 

That’s not a fair comment to make.

I may have questioned him being the right man for the job but I believe the largest part of the work goes in to identifying the correct target and the application process is merely a way of seeing if anyone outside the box applies. The only interview necessary is to see if you can work with him on a personal level and if their philosophies match up but that should just be a matter of formality. Offering interviews to various people who haven’t applied for the job isn’t right to me. 

14 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

The point is it's more than likely the first Falkirk knew of Rice's interest was when he applied for the job. What are they meant to do when a Premiership manager applies for the job? 

Falkirk have done nothing wrong in their process to find a new coach. Those with a clear agenda are saying different because they've a clear agenda - quite telling that most of them only joined the board in the last few days. 

Do you honestly think he applied for the job? He signed a years extension 1 month ago. Hamilton have stuck by him despite poor results, gave him his first opportunity as a manager and stuck by him when he had his personal issues. 

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Let's see where we are with Sheerin after 9-12 games. 

Sorry Marshy but naw. Whether it's Sheerin or somebody else we can't give them time to bed in, they / we have to hit the ground running. 

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Sorry Marshy but naw. Whether it's Sheerin or somebody else we can't give them time to bed in, they / we have to hit the ground running. 

I agree, hence wanting to see where we are after a quarter of the season. I'd not be writing him off after any less than that.

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Do you know this for a fact? 

Do you know he never applied for a fact?

5 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Do you know this for a fact? 

Do you know it's not - for a fact? I said it's what I think, if you can prove I'm wrong do so or f**k off with your shit-spreading. 

1 minute ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Do you know he never applied for a fact?

I think I put forward pretty good reasons for him not applying. Forgot to add that the job he is currently in is with a club a league above too.