The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Mate, they WERE part of the BOTTOM division furniture, & part-time, when I started watching Falkirk, back in the 70's.

I said "with a base capable of", which, having made 3 cup finals & spent about 1/4 of the intervening time in the top division; which would seem pretty laughable at the time, had somebody suggested it.

"Snaring" a manager, in that time has read like a who's "who?" of Scottish football. Miller, Little, Hagart, Totten, Abel, Lamont, Clarke, Duffy, Lambie, Bannon, McCall, Coyle/Hughes, May, Pressley, Holt, Houston, Hartley, MacKinnon & Miller/McCracken. Think you'll find more traps than snares in that list.

How many of those managers do you reckon came in with a 5/6 year plan?

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

How many of those managers do you reckon came in with a 5/6 year plan?

I don't really give two hoots who did/didn't, But, considering they've finished outside the playoff places, I'd be looking on taking a season or two max to get out of this division, similar for the division above & by year 5 be looking to consolidate in the top division. Not too much to ask for at a major town club.

What's your ambitions for Peterheid, or have you already achieved them?

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

Jefferies done well but winning 18 losing 16 in his last season at Berwick is not on the way up, he was very much a gamble as is every appointment.

No names from yourself as to who you'd want or are you still on the Peter Grant train ?

He worked miracles there . There was no cash at all and he'd had to make a team from scratch dragging players in from the juniors and non league. I always wanted us to ask Petrie first . If you don't ask you don't get. Grant would still have been a shout but is going to Celtic I think. The choices after that are slim pickings indeed.

4 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Grant I think was wanted but I presume he has other plans (Celtic backroom). Rice applied I believe but we were turned down permission to interview him by Hamilton. We can’t really do much there. 

The 130 names would include teenagers from the likes of India, Australia and Brazil with some champ manager experience. Our board are incompetent but come on, they’re not throwing away cv’s of people who are at least semi decent. Of course Sheerin would be underwhelming but we have to speak rationally when considering who we could actually appoint 

Rice was never going to be a goer when all we were offering was an interview. Noone in a decent job is going to risk it when they are not guaranteed another one.  If we had actually offered him the job I reckon he'd be the new manager but the bod made their usual mess of things.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Ecosse83
22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Rice was never going to be a goer when all we were offering was an interview. Noone in a decent job is going to risk it when they are not guaranteed another one.  If we had actually offered him the job I reckon he'd be the new manager but the bod made their usual mess of things.

I was hearing Rice was getting the job of there was movement in the boardroom. That didn’t happen so he wouldn’t be offered the job! 

24 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What a lot of bollocks. Depute heads going for HT jobs. Assistant Chief Constables going for CC jobs. People in perfectly good situations going for sideways moves for a myriad of reasons. None of these things ever happen in your world, eh? If your manager gives you permission to go for it, you should. And if they deny permission, then you might not be in such a good position in the first place.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

I don't really give two hoots who did/didn't, But, considering they've finished outside the playoff places, I'd be looking on taking a season or two max to get out of this division, similar for the division above & by year 5 be looking to consolidate in the top division. Not too much to ask for at a major town club.

What's your ambitions for Peterheid, or have you already achieved them?

I don't have ambitions for my football club.  I am a supporter that is grounded enough to know that we will have good years and bad years dependant on how generous our directors are.

We have in the past made the playoffs from the equivalent of this division which is probably about our ceiling.

33 minutes ago, strichener said:

I don't have ambitions for my football club.  I am a supporter that is grounded enough to know that we will have good years and bad years dependant on how generous our directors are.

We have in the past made the playoffs from the equivalent of this division which is probably about our ceiling.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

What a lot of bollocks. Depute heads going for HT jobs. Assistant Chief Constables going for CC jobs. People in perfectly good situations going for sideways moves for a myriad of reasons. None of these things ever happen in your world, eh? If your manager gives you permission to go for it, you should. And if they deny permission, then you might not be in such a good position in the first place.

You're not going to resign from your current post or kick up a stink if all you've got at the other end is an interview. Rumour has it he's got a clause in his contract but he ain't going to activate it without a cast iron job offer first.Rice would take the job in a minute but  even he's not stupid enough to pack the Hamilton job in on a whim.

Football is a lot different from other jobs once clubs and  fans know your not one hundred percent committed you're on a slippery slope.  In very few businesses do you need your boss to give you permission to try for another one anyway. That's completely up to you at the end of the day.  Would probably have helped if they had understood his contract situation properly before contacting Hamilton mind you but that's our bod for you.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Nobody is saying he was going to resign; just apply.

The only way he was ever going to get the post was by resigning though or activating the clause in his contract.  Hamilton were never going to give Falkirk permission when he's under contract. The only way to get him was to offer him the job not an interview.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

These are the fish in the sea of mediocrity we've sunk in. 

3 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

These are the fish in the sea of mediocrity we've sunk in. 

Yes I could post for four years about how it's all the boards fault.  All the time spending more money on socks than my football team.

With your massive crowds and your current achievements, mediocrity is surely your aim rather than where you are currently at.

Ryan Williamson first signing, with Holt waiting in the wings and introducing him to  Sheerin as he comes through the door. "There ye go pal no need to thank me you'll get used to it. Heard your a bit pish defensively but don't sweat it I couldn't care less, Paul your my boy don't let me down now I'll be watching..." 

Scraping into the top half of Seaside 1 is our current reality. We have a Chairman who told us the club have been badly run for years and years (in Deanspeak, that means “it all went wrong before me, I am neither responsible or accountable for any of it”).

Our major shareholders want no part of day to day operations........that’s why they aren’t on the Board. The trouble is, they have never sought to vote against their own Board...even when said Board has proved itself to be out of its depth in a car park puddle.

That being the case, the Board has been given all the latitude in the world to goof around, play Billy Big Baws, and turn everything they touch into 22 carat crap.

The best bit is, they know there is zero penalty for doing so because the people that get really upset are not major shareholders (up to now), so they can throw a few platitudes in the general direction of the support, and work on schemes to keep themselves living the Billy Big Baws dream rather than doing things properly (no chance) or stepping aside to let genuinely smart people who care about the club to become properly involved.

I do not believe there is currently a single person at FFC who puts the well-being of the club ahead of their own interests. Not one.

Guest Ecosse83

I don’t know much at all about the day to day ins and outs of the boardroom so I don’t comment much on it, I just wish the other posters that know f**k all would stop posting about it!

Edited by Ecosse83