The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

The herald article yesterday basically confirmed it. 

"Former Bairns player Neil McCann was reported to have snubbed an approach from the club in favour of taking up a new job at a football agency and Celtic legend Peter Grant has also been linked with the post, but the club have rubbished those reports, insisting they haven’t offered the job to anyone although they admit having sounded out prospective candidates to help draw up a shortlist from scores of applications."

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-deny-having-been-snubbed-in-hunt-for-manager-as-recruitment-process-continues-3241768

Heard from a reliable source that McCann was sounded out for the job as the paper suggests.

If that was the case then you’d think it was with an eye to appoint him as if they did just ask him to apply without them truly wanting him as boss then that’s just going to piss people off. Might have been why McCann let it slip as he discovered he wasn’t the only one to have been sounded out? Who knows. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Joe Cardle linked to you on twitter.

Link to the Twitter rumour? I’d take him to bring off the bench. Still more than capable in League 1 as shown this season.

53 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Possibly just said to McCann he is welcome to apply and go through the interview process, he then said na I'm fine and that it was it. 

McCann would’ve known the job was available and decided not to apply. They knew McCann’s C.V too so if they weren’t happy with the applicants and identified him as a key target then they didn’t do enough research to find out how happy he was with his current role or they didn’t make him feel wanted enough. Either way it doesn’t look good for that story to come out and the clubs attempt at rebuking it using semantics just pours more fuel on the flames. 

4 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Link to the Twitter rumour? I’d take him to bring off the bench. Still more than capable in League 1 as shown this season.

I agree, at 34 could probably do a better job than the shite we had last season.

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

McCann would’ve known the job was available and decided not to apply. They knew McCann’s C.V too so if they weren’t happy with the applicants and identified him as a key target then they didn’t do enough research to find out how happy he was with his current role or they didn’t make him feel wanted enough. Either way it doesn’t look good for that story to come out and the clubs attempt at rebuking it using semantics just pours more fuel on the flames. 

The board are a complete shambles and there's around 200 reasons why they should be slated but I don't feel the McCann situ is one of them. I don't think sounding out coaches who haven't applied to bring them into the interview process is a negative and I would be surprised if this is against the norm during this phase of the process at most clubs. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

6 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

The board are a complete shambles and there's around 200 reasons why they should be slated but I don't feel the McCann situ is one of them. I don't think sounding out coaches who haven't applied to bring them into the interview process is a negative and I would be surprised if this is against the norm during this phase of the process at most clubs. 

Not sure mate. If I was head hunted for a job I didn’t apply for then I would think it’s because they really wanted me. If I found out others were likewise approached then I would just tell them to not bother wasting my time. Football’s a small world. What should an interview or application form tell you about McCann that you don’t already know. Holt’s been in the game long enough and football circles are small.  

34 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not sure mate. If I was head hunted for a job I didn’t apply for then I would think it’s because they really wanted me. If I found out others were likewise approached then I would just tell them to not bother wasting my time. Football’s a small world. What should an interview or application form tell you about McCann that you don’t already know. Holt’s been in the game long enough and football circles are small.  

Every team does it. It's not as if we're doing anything out of the ordinary.

Cardle has always caused us problems in the past. But knowing our luck he'd sign and instantly look like he's done. I don't think he'd sign for us anyway, I don't think we ever were flavour of the month with him since his Dunfermline days. 

49 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I can think of a few posters who would be desperate for him to sign so that they could boo him if he failed. Boo.

Alternatively, I can think of a few posters who’d be falling over themselves to thank Martin, Sandy, Deansy and co for delivering ‘Cardzo’.  Such intent would be rewarded with the purchasing of season tickets and new strips for the kids. Clap clap clap.

50 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Every team does it. It's not as if we're doing anything out of the ordinary.

Maybe although I honestly can’t mind many clubs being reported to have actively sounded someone out before applications have been submitted. Also if it’s a regular process then why choose to try extinguish the story with a line that just presents more questions? It just doesn’t sound like a great way to do business for me. Remembering listening to a podcast with Owen Coyle discussing when Geoff Brown offered him the St.Johnstone job. He identified him, asked if he was interested and went to his house to speak to him. 

I would just hope Holt, the Rawlins and the board would have a clear candidate in mind before starting the interview process. That’s where the real work should go and not expecting the right person to come to you. Also if you have someone in mind you make sure you have a chance of getting him and not have the story leaked before seeking out others. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8370203/amp/Owen-Coyle-recalls-mortifying-moment-served-St-Johnstone-chairman-gravy-instead-coffee.html

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Maybe although I honestly can’t mind many clubs being reported to have actively sounded someone out before applications have been submitted. Also if it’s a regular process then why choose to try extinguish the story with a line that just presents more questions? It just doesn’t sound like a great way to do business for me. Remembering listening to a podcast with Owen Coyle discussing when Geoff Brown offered him the St.Johnstone job. He identified him, asked if he was interested and went to his house to speak to him. 

I would just hope Holt, the Rawlins and the board would have a clear candidate in mind before starting the interview process. That’s where the real work should go and not expecting the right person to come to you. Also if you have someone in mind you make sure you have a chance of getting him and not have the story leaked before seeking out others. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8370203/amp/Owen-Coyle-recalls-mortifying-moment-served-St-Johnstone-chairman-gravy-instead-coffee.html

You need to do that to ensure you have some decent options for your short list. If you only advertise and complete dross only applies then your goosed.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

You need to do that to ensure you have some decent options for your short list. If you only advertise and complete dross only applies then your goosed.

Yeh but again, football is a small world so I would imagine the shortlist is made based on references, experience etc before you approach anyone. The application process is merely there to see if anyone applies that you didn’t expect. If no good applicants then go for the man who is top of the shortlist and try to make sure he would be interested before approaching them. 

That’s what I presumed Holt was there for, to give the inside knowledge and research candidates to help pick a target. 

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Yeh but again, football is a small world so I would imagine the shortlist is made based on references, experience etc before you approach anyone. The application process is merely there to see if anyone applies that you didn’t expect. If no good applicants then go for the man who is top of the shortlist and try to make sure he would be interested before approaching them. 

That’s what I presumed Holt was there for, to give the inside knowledge and research candidates to help pick a target. 

It happens in most businesses . Jobs are advertised and people are also invited to apply. I dont really see it any different to that.