Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, AGPar said:

Hope to God the "other criteria" referenced in that update includes proven experience of managing a group of football players, man-management skills. tactical knowledge, a defined way of playing, ability to identify players, to improve players, to read a game, to manage a game, to influence a game, to change a game. If they haven't recognised the glaring requirement for strong, proper, autonomous leadership after the "M and M" horror show, they're just wasting their time. We need a million times more than someone who can put on a coaching session, just grateful for the opportunity and happy to be subservient to whatever Holt wants. Not at all convinced that his presence and interference will prove especially helpful in securing the right person. This decision is make-or-break.

Absolutely this. I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed. 

What really good manager is going to want to sit a layer under Holt? What has Holt done to merit such an appointment and influence at Falkirk?

All for the academy guy and that starting up again. Would have preferred in tier 3 that we just had one manager (not 2) and no DOF. 2 additional wages to the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What’s strange about a shit player signing for a shit team ??

I'd have took him here in a heartbeat. He's not a world beater but he wins his battles in the middle of the park and can play a bit with his left peg. He's a main part of why clyde dominated us in the season before last. Baring in mind we're not going to sign world beaters this season I'd have had him for a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'd have took him here in a heartbeat. He's not a world beater but he wins his battles in the middle of the park and can play a bit with his left peg. He's a main part of why clyde dominated us in the season before last. Baring in mind we're not going to sign world beaters this season I'd have had him for a year.

He would have definitely been our best centre midfielder if we had signed him last season. Hopefully we can get better this summer but he’d definitely improve every side in the bottom two divisions apart from Thistle.

Edited by Peter LaFleur
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Aye he would ha e improved them that much he has signed for Stirling Albion! 
 

If Ray Grant is the level of our ambition then f**k me we really are screwed.

I literally said I hope we are going for better but admitted he would have been better than Gomis, Miller and Alston in centre midfield for us this season. I suspect the wages offered are why he is at Stirling Albion rather than a league 1 side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d of taken him last summer but appears to have had a rubbish season at Alloa, he and Chris McStay seemed to be a good partnership in the middle of the park for Clyde the season before last. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Shouldn't really sign a player based on a game against us during the last few years - not too difficult to be a standout against our midfield. 

The fact he's signing for Stirling should tell us all we need to know about his ability.  

Or Stirling are maybe paying very well for a part time club so it's in his interests to drop down to league 2.

Anyway Dick, Hetherington and Williamson has there been any other names banded about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Not like the Sun to be caught talking complete and utter shite :lol: 

Not really. The board haven't denied sounding McCann out about interviewing the job they just said they hadn't offered anyone the job.  I have it on good authority that we defo did approach I'm about interviewing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not really. The board haven't denied sounding McCann out about interviewing the job they just said they hadn't offered anyone the job.  I have it on good authority that we defo did approach I'm about interviewing.

Nothing wrong with that to be honest. Obviously I'd rather we just let people choose themselves whether they're interested in the position. But the sun made it out that we'd offered him the gig rather than the truth that we offered him an interview. Can see why the club wanted to put that story to bed as it could have irked other applicants but they should all know how much shite the sun talks anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really. The board haven't denied sounding McCann out about interviewing the job they just said they hadn't offered anyone the job.  I have it on good authority that we defo did approach I'm about interviewing.
Greenock connection, check
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

It really depends entirely on how everyone views Holts role and whether we’ve got the infrastructure/set up to support such a role. Didn’t the club say that this role was to ensure that the role was to support the BOD in footballing matters, which they admitted they needed an experienced guy to help with decisions like we’re faced with now? and ensuring that the new manager/coach is the right candidate, identify players for signing? This is where I have a concern. Unless the new manager/coach is almost telepathic with Holt, it will probably work well, however whoever comes in will have their own ideas of what’s needed and for me that’s a position/situation  we simply can’t get wrong. 

It comes down to the Director of Football job description.

Negotiate contracts. Identify players with the skill set given to him by the manager. Ensure KPI's are met regarding the background rolls in supporting the team on the park.

No input into team tactics or selection or signing of players.

Must be clear demarcation between the coach/manager roll and D of F so there is no blurring of the roles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Nothing wrong with that to be honest. Obviously I'd rather we just let people choose themselves whether they're interested in the position. But the sun made it out that we'd offered him the gig rather than the truth that we offered him an interview. Can see why the club wanted to put that story to bed as it could have irked other applicants but they should all know how much shite the sun talks anyway.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7091730/neil-mccann-snubs-falkirk-approach/amp/

This is the article, at no point does it say he was offered the job. The board are appeasing to the backlash from fans by trying to pretend Neil wasn’t in the frame. 

Neil would have known the job was up for grabs and obviously didn’t apply. If the board were happy with those who applied then why approach Neil? 
 

Would also love to see what constitutes the applicants from across the globe. The statement appears full of language that attempts to gloss over the very realistic notion that no one decent applied and they have little idea who would best fit the job. 
 

Having said that I’m very glad that the club have actively identified Football/coaching experience as important for the role. That’s a relief! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7091730/neil-mccann-snubs-falkirk-approach/amp/

This is the article, at no point does it say he was offered the job. The board are appeasing to the backlash from fans by trying to pretend Neil wasn’t in the frame. 

Neil would have known the job was up for grabs and obviously didn’t apply. If the board were happy with those who applied then why approach Neil? 
 

Would also love to see what constitutes the applicants from across the globe. The statement appears full of language that attempts to gloss over the very realistic notion that no one decent applied and they have little idea who would best fit the job. 
 

Having said that I’m very glad that the club have actively identified Football/coaching experience as important for the role. That’s a relief! 

Sorry you're right it doesn't make it look like the job was his if he wanted it at all. Must have misread it the first time.

"NEIL MCCANN has snubbed an approach by Falkirk to become their new boss"

"Bairns chief Gary Deans and director of football Gary Holt are now looking elsewhere as they seek a permanent replacement for fired duo David McCracken and Lee Miller."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sorry you're right it doesn't make it look like the job was his if he wanted it at all. Must have misread it the first time.

"NEIL MCCANN has snubbed an approach by Falkirk to become their new boss"

"Bairns chief Gary Deans and director of football Gary Holt are now looking elsewhere as they seek a permanent replacement for fired duo David McCracken and Lee Miller."

Again that does not say he was offered the job. The way that sounds like he was offered the job is in the same way that Falkirk are making out like he wasn’t in the frame. 
 

Let’s put it this way if you were perfectly happy in your job and earning decent coin and a company approached about a job you didn’t bother applying for, would you think it’s because they want you? 
 

 

Edited by Caractacus Potts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...